“Expensive for the quality of food served.”

The Summer Kitchen Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 13 Restaurants in Ephraim
Cuisines: Mexican, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Description: The Summer Kitchen is renowned for its homemade soups, fresh bread and yummy desserts. At least five different soups are available daily. Order a single cup, two cups, a bowl or our Taster's cups and enjoy! All lunch entrees include a cup of soup. Dinner entrees are served with a baked potato, a side of vegetables, homemade bread and your choice of soup or salad.
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Me and my family decided to eat outside on the patio and the wait staff was nice but we ended up spending $50 (including a 20% tip) for a family of 4. The food is very basic for the high price. Both of my kids ordered from the kids menu and one got a cheese pizza and one got a grilled cheese and the meals came with a little fruit and it cost over $9/each with each kid getting something to drink. I got a chicken salad pita that came with a cup pf soup and my husband only got chips and salsa and an iced tea. Hardly worth $50 for food that can be made at a deli.

3  Thank leahastl

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We came in for a small dinner. Every thing was expensive for the food you would receive. The only small order was a bowl of soup and bread for $10.95. Not worth the money. Very disapointed.

2  Thank mamayoder
Reviewed August 13, 2013

During summer the Summer Kitchen offers homemade, authentic, Mexican food. We stopped in to try it and were blown away. The portions are large and the Mexican food was terrific. I had nachos with seasoned, slow-cooked, shredded beef, fresh tomatoes, Mexian cheese, homemade salsa, olives, lettuce and fresh jalapenos. It was enough to feed 3-4 people. My mom had the carne asada tacos with fresh beans and rice. It was fabulous and truly authentic! Large portions, reasonable prices. Included in the meal was a taste of one of five soups on the soup bar. I had French Cabbage soup and my mom had cream of mushroom. The soups were some of the best I've ever had. It's a little expensive to each the soup bar, but totally worth it. Do not pass this place up!

1  Thank 13CMR
Reviewed August 13, 2013

When I was growing up, my family and I stayed in Ephraim every summer from 1991-2001. When I returned last week, I was excited to check out a number of old favorites, including the Summer Kitchen. I always used to order soup and a cherry sparkle. I really talked the place up to my husband.

The (small) cup of chicken dumpling soup was as good as I remember, but $6 for said cup of soup and $10 for one bowl of soup is just not competitive pricing. The lunch sandwiches ranged from about $12 to $16. Paying $15 for a tuna salad sandwich is crazy. I'm not sure if the business has to charge outrageous prices in order to make up for its short season or what, but it's a shame. I was also disappointed to see that the establishment hasn't maintained the beautiful flowers out front. On the bright side, our college-aged server was pleasant and welcoming.

I'm not a cheap diner, but sadly, I probably won't return. I'd hate to see this place close, but the pricing doesn't seem sustainable.

3  Thank ecc1002
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed the weekend at the ephraim motel which is just a driveway away from the summer kitchen. We stopped in for a light dinner on a Friday night. The place was empty besides ourselves and another couple. Cute garden view from the sunroom area of the restaurant. Hard time find any item besides a cup of soup for under $10. All of us got the bowl of soup for 10.95 each. Set up like a buffet but it would cost $15.95 for the buffet soup option. Overall, expensive dinner for soup and bread- no wonder it was empty. Soup was just ok.

2  Thank jlove928