“The Most Unique Trail”

Elroy-Sparta State Trail
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Elroy
More attraction details
Owner description: A 34-mile trail.
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is the most unique trail I have traveled due to the three tunnels. The tunnel closest to Sparta is the longest at 3/4 mile. Certain times of the year, flashlights are definitely needed; trust me, I learned the hard way last year when I forgot my flashlight and literally could see nothing as I ran into the sides of the tunnel. LOL. There are quaint, interesting towns to visit along the way. I always feel like I get a great work out on the trail as there are hills leading up to the tunnels. And, then, the big reward is a long stretch downhill once exiting the tunnel. I make it a point to visit the Elroy/Sparta trail at least once a year.

All reviews
"state trail"
"fun ride"
"day pass"
in 2 reviews
"small towns along the way"
"bucket list"
"mile downhill"

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I've done quite a few bike trails in the midwest and this is still one of my favorites. I do this trail at least once a year and it never gets old. I often suggest this trail as a starting point to my friends and family when I try to get them to go riding with me.

Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We rode this trail with 2 small children in October. The fall colors were amazing! there is a small fee for adults, four dollars per person. the tunnels are very cool but also very dark so be sure to bring a flashlight or other source of light.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I hard a wonderful Saturday biking 36 miles from Kendal Wi. to Sparta WI. round trip. It was very relaxing and scenic. Several places along the way to just relax or grab something to eat. This is an old railroad track turned into bike trails. You have 3 tunnels to go through before you reach Sparta from Kendal.