“Worth the drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Wickman House

Wickman House
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Ellison Bay
Cuisines: American, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Wickman House is located in a historic lodge in Ellison Bay, Door County. Offering sandwiches from Paying tribute to the property's original owners and namesake, this historical landmark was reborn as Wickman House in 2012. The renovation and design of the property are dedicated to restoring its history with an eclectic blend of original decor from the early 1920's. Also true to the property's original purpose: the restaurant's focus is on sustainable agriculture, featuring a menu inspired by fresh, seasonal ingredients sourced from local farms and gardens. Finally, the property's enhanced space strives to be a true gathering place, much like The Ellison Bay Lodge was nearly a century ago. The proprietors, chefs, and staff at Wickman House strive to provide their guests with the ultimate dining experience through professional service and the use of only fresh, sustainable foods. All seafood is humanely harvested and sustainably considered. Nearly all ingredients not arriving from the sea come from local Wisconsin farms, artisans, and growers. All baked goods, desserts, sauces, stocks, and soups are made in house from scratch, just the way the Wickman Family would have wanted.
Aurora, Illinois, United States
“Worth the drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Door County is long so you need to commit to the drive up to Ellison Bay(it helps that we stay there!). The food is excellent, fresh and interesting! We had a lovely relaxed dinner. The service was great and the waitress suggested the BEST wine. Make the effort to get there.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Wendy D

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
“Wow! Local and Regional appreciation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

By far the best eatery in Ellison Bay and likely the Door County peninsula! Fantastic fresh food and catering to the local farms and producers. I had a puff mushroom soup of the day that the sous chef had just picked the mushrooms that morning. It was topped with the tastiest little bit of oil that left my mouth wanting more of the soft creamy taste. The Lobster club with Nueske bacon was outstanding and one of our party so enjoyed the Ciopinno seafood stew that she actually finished the entire bowl!! Definitely a must see in the Door County area!

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Daniel S
Chicago, Illinois
“A Must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I just came back from Door County and regret not having dinner at the Wickmam House. I ate there in May and July. At both visit the food and drinks were great.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Angel921
Chicago, Illinois
“Best in Door Co.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

My only regret is we discovered the Wickman House on the last day of our week in door. Outstanding food and very personal service. I would agree with other reviewers that the service could be more attentive but the food and presentation overcame by far any shortcomings. Do not miss their extensive house cocktail list and delicious deserts. Would go back in a minute.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Nick141
“Must Visit Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We ate here last night and it was a great experience. Our server, Amy, was very attentive and knowledgeable about the food and wine selections. I had read positive reviews on the Staggering Chicken, which I did order and it was an excellent meal. It was very fresh and tasty. Honestly, I know people say you shouldn't eat the skin because of fat and calories but if I could I think I would have ordered an extra helping of the skin; it was that tasty. The potatoes and vegetables were also good. Be sure to get the rolls they serve. They were also very good.

My wife ordered the Ravioli which again, was excellent. Our meals came hot, the presentation was appealing, and the food tasted great. I have read other reviews saying that the portions were small. If you are ordering the meals so you can take half home for another meal, this won't work. But if you want a reasonable amount to eat and clean your plate I felt the portions were just fine. I just don't need to eat the huge portions a lot of restaurants serve.

They serve water in bottles left on the table. Several times a server refilled our glasses and when the bottle began to get close to empty, another bottle was brought without asking for it.

The two owners were there. One seated us, was very friendly, and came after the meal to ask about our experience. As we left both owners thanked us for coming and wished us a good evening. We will definitely come again the next time we are in Door County. We highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited August 2013