“Food that CANNOT be beat, the staff is The Door County cherry on top!”
Review of Wickman House

Wickman House
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Ellison Bay
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Wickman House is located in a historic lodge in Ellison Bay, Door County. Offering sandwiches from Paying tribute to the property's original owners and namesake, this historical landmark was reborn as Wickman House in 2012. The renovation and design of the property are dedicated to restoring its history with an eclectic blend of original decor from the early 1920's. Also true to the property's original purpose: the restaurant's focus is on sustainable agriculture, featuring a menu inspired by fresh, seasonal ingredients sourced from local farms and gardens. Finally, the property's enhanced space strives to be a true gathering place, much like The Ellison Bay Lodge was nearly a century ago. The proprietors, chefs, and staff at Wickman House strive to provide their guests with the ultimate dining experience through professional service and the use of only fresh, sustainable foods. All seafood is humanely harvested and sustainably considered. Nearly all ingredients not arriving from the sea come from local Wisconsin farms, artisans, and growers. All baked goods, desserts, sauces, stocks, and soups are made in house from scratch, just the way the Wickman Family would have wanted.
Denver, Colorado
“Food that CANNOT be beat, the staff is The Door County cherry on top!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Dear Mike, Anthony & Staff,

I really fell into a deep depression on the plane ride home. I realized your restaurant would not be waiting for me when I got back to Denver, and it was with sheer horror that I did not think to pack all of you in my suitcase to take you home with me. Your restaurant is beyond amazing. It is evident in your food and wonderful service that you love food and people, and that your mission is to bring happiness between the two in the secret paradise that is Door County, WI. (shhh!) My husband and I brought our grandparents (one of whom was schooled by the English teacher of the house you have your business in...) They were more than happy to experience a 'new' part of Ellison Bay after having lived here for many decades and really enjoyed the food.

My husband and I especially loved the goat cheese curds, whitefish tacos, and the pulled pork sandwich. This restaurant is a great place to escape your family if you need a break and to have some 'city' interaction. Come here, no seriously...get yourself in the car before you lose internet access. You will not be disappointed.

The only recommendation I have for the Wickman House is to place sound soaking tiles in the main room as it is difficult for the older generations to hear with the echo of the ceiling.

I can't wait until next season when we can return. All the best to your staff and fabulous establishment! D' Norde Court

Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
“Sinfully Good”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had shrimp cocktail and Salad first night i at here, and took home the Flourless chocolate cake,, Supper was great,, but i must say the flourless cake was sinfully good. Well worth the indulgence. Tonight I had the Staggering Chicken. Again a superb meal. Great wait staff, great atmosphere. It is now on my list of Must go To Eat when in Door County. Well worth the price

Cary,Illinois
“Best Old Fashioneds Ever!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My hubby and I stopped in after a friend recommended it. We were pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere, quality of ingredients, and the delish cocktails. The rolls that started the meal were so good. Nice that they offer entrees, sandwiches and appetizers to appeal to a wide range of appetites. The cocktails are great-also the beer selection. Ingredients are local/regional for the most part. Surprised though that the fresh fish was grouper-not whitefish, trout or salmon from Lake Michigan. Dessert was terrific-fudge cake with caramel, sea salt topping. Liked the restaurant so much went back the next night food was again awesome-service not as strong on our repeat visit-server seemed very disconnected and uncomfortable, but we will be back next time we are in the area and would highly recommend trying Wickman House!

chicago
“WOW!!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Amazing food quality, great personality & space, excellent service, friendly hospitable people genuinely interested in serving you. Now with great, hand crafted cocktails too by Mike the bartender/owner. He and his partner Joe & their families have reclaimed this great place back to what it should be. With an all new patio for al fresco dining. Everything is excellent here! Go for the oysters - the only place you'll get them this far north, that's for sure-fresh, delicious; something for everyone on their menu is their motto and it delivers.

Madison, Wisconsin, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Meal of My Life”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I'm known for hyperbole, but I'm not lying when I say that The Wickman House gave me the best meal I've ever had.

My wife (henceforth referred to as Wifequist) and I came to Door County to celebrate our one-year anniversary, and we came to the Wickman House for our celebratory anniversary dinner. It did not disappoint.

Location: Pretty neat -- the house is tucked into the woods, and is off the main highway. When you go there, you feel like you've been let in on a secret spot.

Service: FANTASTIC. Everyone -- from the host, to the bartender, to other servers -- was exceedingly friendly, cheerful, and good-looking (not that that matters, but it makes a meal better). Plus they were all wearing bowties -- always a plus in my book. Our server, John (?), was incredibly knowledgeable about every detail in the menu (despite having just started a few weeks prior to our dinner), and that menu was a little intimidating at first. He was quick to refill our water glasses, checked in with us several times, and was very attentive to our every request.

Drinks: Apparently the cocktail menu is new, and boy, was it good. Both Wifequist and I had three cocktails apiece -- we couldn't believe how good every drink was! I had a Moscow Mule and two other brandy-based cocktails (can't remember the names, unfortunately).

Food: Our server recommended several items from the menu, and Wifequist went with "the best hamburger you'll ever have," and she couldn't stop raving over it. They were accommodating to her gluten intolerance, and served it over a bed of mixed greens. I went with the ribeye, and from the very first bite, I was in love. It was absolutely perfect.

I can't recommend this place enough -- do yourself a favor and visit this Door County gem! I can't wait to return!