“Ragu Rich”
Review of Pasta Vino - CLOSED

Pasta Vino
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Door County's The Fireside Restaurant in Ellison Bay serves reinvented comfortable classics with a fresh, new twist. Dinner nightly 3-10 and Sunday brunch 8-1. Casual, family friendly, affordable delicious food in a fun environment.
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Being of Italian decent, I can say that the food at Pasta Vino is not Italian. The red sauce tastes bottled with added sugar due the the sauce being reheated several times so that by the end of the week, you have tomato paste instead of sauce. The evening we visited, a fresh fish was offered, so I thought the fish would be highlighted. In this case, it was overcooked dry pasta, with a piece of overcooked fish layered on top. Just hold out going for Italian while visiting Door County, and head over to the professional Italian restaurant when you head back home.

6  Thank Audrey H

Reviewed October 12, 2012

This was my third experience with Pasta Vino. My first time I went the food and service was average. However, they have a great wine selection for the area so I thought it would be worth a third visit. The joke is... their wine tasting was nice enough I actually planned a fourth trip this exact weekend for a 3rd wine tasting! DON'T DO IT!!!

When we enter the dining room to eat dinner we learn the special for the evening is a Skate Fish with a Lemoncello Sauce. As I love cream sauces with a lemon flavor I heard the special and ordered immediately. Not to mention who doesn't love Lemoncello?

Then the food arrived. The fish was overcooked sitting on top of a bed of pasta. The sauce, which was very limited and absorbed into the fettucini, was not even to be seen on the fish. I then request a side of sauce so I have something to dip the fish into and she says the sauce is specially made per dish and she couldn't provide. As I haven't yet tried my food at this point I concede.

Then I take a bite of the fish and pasta and quite frankly it sucked! it was fishy, overcooked, dry and inedible! So we ask the waitress for a replacement dish. We order a replacement and all is good in the world. We eat our dinner, which is still really average and then ask for the check. When the check arrives nothing is said and then when I look they charge us for the first dish we NEVER even ate!

When we ask the server about what these extra charges are she says that is what the owner said I had to charge and we need to speak to him. The owner then arrives and instead of being customer service friendly says "well I could have charged you full price" and then he says if you don't pay I will call the cops. We are talking about $16.00 out of a $100! REALLY!

By the time we are already insulted, we realize we will pay the bill but just don't tip. Of which the waitress now comes up and starts a scene.

While I do agree you can go and have average food at times, I would not recommend the place because when it is all said and done they don't stand by the quality of their food!

6  Thank Gnas9999
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This place is definately a cut above the typical tourist spots in the area. Both our pasta dishes were delicious, and very large portions. The chef came out and talked with us which is a nice touch. Desserts are yummy too !!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went here because the local paper said there was live music that night. Sadly the paper was wrong. We stayed anyway and were treated to a truely excellent meal. A warm environment on a cold rainy night, fine food, excellent service, and the chef even came out to thank us for our positive comments.

We'll be back!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Good Italian food. Had the Seafood Fettucinni. It was excellent. Nice atmosphere. Quiet and relaxing.