“Unpretentious atmosphere with good coffee.”

The Viking Grill & Lounge
Ranked #7 of 12 Restaurants in Ellison Bay
Description: The Viking Grill in Ellision Bay features affordable family favorites and our world-famous Viking Fish Boil! Enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner. Our buttermilk pancakes are light and fluffy, but our biggest secret is our outstanding Swedish pancakes (served all day). Try them- you won't be sorry! Another early morning favorite is our award winning homemade Corned Beef Hash. A great way to start a busy day on the Door peninsula. And whether you are looking for hearty or light The Viking Grill has something for you. Wrapped sandwiches, homesytle soups, a selection of 7 salads, and mouthwatering appetizers - perfect with a cold beer or cocktail from the bar. Dinner at The Viking means broasted chicken, Lake Perch, generously cut steaks and more. Come experience the Viking - we'll leave the grill on!
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We chose this restaurant based on reviews here, hoping we would find a down-home breakfast and a friendly atmosphere.

We arrived around 9:30 a.m., and found a few tables of locals (usually a good sign) as well as a few other visitors. The hostess and the waitress were cordial, but their friendliness seemed forced, not genuine.

I ordered the special, hoping to get quick service and a warm breakfast, while my husband ordered an omelet. He could not finish his, and told me it tasted fishy. It was not served warm.

It took longer than we expected to get our food, although our ordered was taken promptly.

My special, a melange of eggs, potatoes, sausage, cheese and peppers, tasted OK, but was not served warm either. I found it a bit too heavy, but it was what I ordered. There is a pretty decent a la carte offering, and clearly I should have ordered from that menu.

Coffee is very good and served in very large pottery cups with the Viking Grill logo, which are also for sale. Coffee is served in a thermal carafe, so warmups are right at the table. We liked this.

Definitely worth a try, but we probably will not return. Our total came to $21 for two people.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had been here many times for breakfast over the years. Now we had three other couples with us. We highly recommended the corned beef hash. Our recommendation proved to be trusted by the group and everyone so enjoyed that we came back for several other meals. They were all awesome!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was the best meal we had at Door County. The burger was great and the homemade potato chips were AWESOME they reminded me of when my father made them for me as a treat when I was little. Best cheese curds also. Waitress was great and gave us the best tip of where to get ice cream.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Over the years, I have been to the Viking for their fish boil many times. My most recent visit was much like all of the others. Unique, interesting way of cooking the main dish (fish), decent food, lots of room for improvement with everything else.

The Good:
The "fish boil" itself is a lot of fun to see. In fact, it is the only reason why many people go to the Viking. Make sure you time your visit so you can see the fish boil itself.

The price is pretty reasonable, especially for adults.

Average:
The food. The fish is good, but the add ons are just ok. The cherry pie dessert is ok, but not great (and this is door county- lots of cherries). The bread is just cheep super market variety stuff and the potatoes are nothing special. No real choices either.

The Service: Very hit and miss here. Sometimes the staff can be quite nice, other times, no one pay any attention after you pay for the fish boil.

If it were me, I would keep the fish boil the same, but retrofit a lot of stuff around it. Like how the food is served, and add some healthier and better choices to the side items.

All in all worth a trip once, just to see the fish boil. Otherwise, we will probably try a new place next time we visit Door County.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This has the ambiance of a small town restaurant that has been in place for decades, which it has. Very casual, plain restaurant. We went for the fish boil, which was probably better than the rating I would submit. Probably worth it for the spectacle and the tradition but this will be my third and last. The fish was OK but the effort to pick out the bones is just not worth it. Next time I order from the menu.