“The osthoff resort is paradise...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Osthoff Resort

The Osthoff Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elkhart Lake
chicago
“The osthoff resort is paradise...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

The Osthoff resort is the most charming and beautiful resort I have ever seen. You are surrounded by beauty everywhere. From your spacious room , the courtyard, the 2 pools,
the beautiful gardens the pond and the delicious food served at the pool, the indoor restaurant (Otto's) and Lola by the lake for more formal dining . The food is outstanding and the most amazing thing is that the prices of everything are affordable. The town is chaming with the little antique shops the daily entertainment that is free right on the beach grounds. The Osthoff is a GEM....My sister and I will make this a yearly reunion. This place is perfect.....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

The grounds and amenities at the Osthoff are fantastic. The beachfront was always well cleaned and groomed and I loved that there were 3 pools to choose from. The cooking school and spa are above par and I enjoyed both immensely. I will definitely be back for additional cooking classes. The spa was gorgeous and the staff excellent. However I do think the services of the spa were overpriced. It was difficult for me to go knowing I could get many of the same services for half the price. The room was comfortable, but very out-dated - old appliances, old tv's, old furniture, old air conditioning units... We were very fortunate to have a screened in porch because the mesquitos were terrible! If/When we return I will make sure that is a priority in selecting a room. My absolute favorite experience was the cooking school and beach/lake. My biggest disappointment was the out-dated room.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

I met some friends here for breakfast & a tour of the resort. I was amazed with it's beauty & level of service. Being a very nice morning, we ate outside on the patio. Eggs benedict were cooked perfectly, as was the bacon. Coffee was bold & hot. Looking out over the landscaped grounds and to Elkhart Lake beyond made breakfast an extra treat. The two outdoor & one indoor pool looked clean and inviting!

The interior of the resort itself is beautiful. Rich woodwork & well crafted stone fireplaces add a lot of charm & old world feel. The staff was courteous but not overbearing.

Although I didn't have a chance to stay in a room (stayed w/ a friend), I would really like to some time!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2010

My wife and I moved to the area a couple years ago, and once a year we take a local getaway to the Osthoff. Having lived in major metropolitan areas and comparing the price to value ratio, the Osthoff is a STEAL, and offers some of the best accomodations you'll find in the midwest. The staff is always friendly and curteous. The rooms are clean. The food is good. The Aspira Spa is also very good. When you compare the Osthoff to other major metropolitan areas you are blown away by how much less you'll spend. But we have to be realists. The Osthoff is located in rural Wisconsin. The people working there are mostly from rural Wisconsin. You can expect them to be nice people who take pride in their work, but don't expect everyone you meet to super sophisticated and all in to image like in a dowtown Chicago boutique, restaurant, or hotel. The spa services are good, but don't expect the same service as you would get in Paris or Los Angeles. Most people who visit are realists, and get that. 99% of big city dwellers that come up to the Osthoff will just love it. It's also surrounded by some great golf courses and restaurants. On the other hand, if you're from a small town you might not feel like you're getting your money's worth. Personally, I love this place, and so does my wife. We'll be going back each year right after Christmas when it's nice and quiet.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

We just returned from two days and three nights at The Osthoff, and we had a great trip!

We arrived late the first night, and my husband was able to negotiate a one-bedroom suite with a king bed instead of the queen bed we had reserved. The suite in the north wing seemed quite new with hard-surface counters in the bedroom and kitchen. The bed was extremely comfortable. All in all, the accommodations were entirely satisfactory.

Our main reason for choosing this resort, however, was L'Ecole de la Maison, the on-site cooking school. We spent two days cooking, learning and eating! We were exhausted after two full days in the kitchen, but we really enjoyed ourselves. The chef was very knowledgeable and patient with us. The courses were pricy, but the quality of the kitchen space, ingredients and Chef's knowledge were worth it. The food we prepared was phenomenal! We would return to the resort for the cooking school alone.

After eating our way through two days of cooking class, neither of us was eager to sample the resorts restaurants for dinner. Our first opportunity to try them was the Sunday morning breakfast buffet at Otto’s which was passable. The presentation was pleasant enough with the usual breakfast items (bagels, muffins, eggs, French toast, bacon, sausage, etc.) The fruit was fresh, and the hot food was kept adequately warm. The price was in line with a breakfast buffet at a nice resort.

We hope to return in the summertime so we can enjoy the grounds and lakefront.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

I visited the Osthoff for the first time between Christmas and New Years and had a great time. We did our research ahead of time and realized that the region is quite this time of year but there was excellent winter sporting options. The sledding is great and the skiiing of good. The skiing is within a 20 minute drive.

The resort was elegant, clean and fun for the kids! The pool was a great hit with our 5 and 2 year old, the game room, etc. The shops in town are limited but quaint and the restaurants very good! We will be back!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

Upon arrival...they had lost our reservation,,,,,,,(due to a new computer program???},...thank god,,,they were accommodating,,,,we had a lovely room,,,at a great price,,,very,,,very clean,,,,,,we had gone for the Old World Christmas,,,,and felt that it was way over rated,,,,SEVERAL booths did not relate to that theme at all...rather disappointing,,,,but back at the osthoff,,,the food was excellent in both restaurants,,,a very pretty place to stay in the winter,,,,,also it was decorated nicely for the holidays....,after I returned home,,,,,I received my charge bill, only to learn they had charged me twice,,,,,once for the lost reservation,,,and again for the new,,,,,.,Just heads up..on the billing,,,

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
#2 of 5 in Plymouth
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)

Been to The Osthoff Resort? Share your experiences!