The Osthoff Resort
QualityInn
$228
$334
$79
All reviewsaspira spaliving roomchristmas marketelk roomfull kitchenindoor poolwoodland suitethe vinefrom chicagowhirlpool tubspa servicesrelaxing weekenddining tableview of the lakeprivate beachotto's restaurantboat rentals
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband had a conference to attend, so I got to take advantage of the resort and Elkhart Lake. The room was amazing with comfortable beds/furniture and the view was breathtaking. All of the resort staff was very nice and helpful. There is also a gym, indoor pool, arcade, gift shop and other things to occupy your time in the resort if you have the opportunity. The spa is highly recommended, but not the restaurants.

Since we came in late October, the downtown was dead. I took a walk around town and was a little disappointed that nothing was open. However, it's nice to miss the summer crowd that I imagine this place has.

We will be back this time next year!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This resort is very impressive from the outside, and in the lobby. But for the prices they charge, they should pay more attention to the condition of the rooms, and the competency of their housekeeping personnel.

We were able to check-in early, which was greatly appreciated, but our room wasn't very impressive. There were spider webs in most of the corners, tables hadn't been dusted in weeks, and there were two glaring things that shocked me. I opened the refrigerator, and was shocked at what I saw. Someone had spilled root beer (or some dark cola) all over the inside of the fridge, and it looks like it had been there a long time. Many of the other beverages were knocked over--it looked like someone had a wild party there & it hadn't been cleaned up (see pictures). Also, near the stair steps inside our unit, there was a huge hole in the wall, which made me wonder how many rodents had been in the unit.

I took pictures with my iPod to show the front desk, and they were shocked. They did the right thing by taking a bit of money off of our room, but I would have rather had the room be taken care of before we arrived.

The other thing that was disappointing was that there were several people waiting, with me, to shop in the gift shop the following morning. About 15 minutes after it was supposed to open, I asked the front desk if we could shop. Something was muttered about "She didn't show up again..." or something like that. The manager opened the shop, and we all hunted around, trying to help him find the light switches. We couldn't find some of them and had to use our phones as flashlights to see where we were going. If this has happened before, shouldn't someone (especially the manager) know how to run the shop? Very odd.

We ate in the restaurant, and the breakfast was okay, but not great. I wouldn't recommend it.

It's too bad--this place was gorgeous at one time, and could be again if someone cared enough to take care of the property. The outside of the place is stunning. Too bad that the inside doesn't match the outside.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sara S
GoldenRule3, General Manager at The Osthoff Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear SAS13,

I was surprised and saddened to read the housekeeping report you posted, as this is not our standard and we simply do not receive reports like this, so thank you for bringing your observations to our attention. In my 15 years as General Manager, thi is only the third time i've heard of a soda can gone awry, but housekeeping knows to check for anything that is out of place or amiss. We have repaired the carpeting flaw you mentioned straight away--it was an oversight by the installers when new carpeting was installed a few months ago, and we, frankly, missed it ourselves--our apologies for the oversight. We are nearly always in an "update" mode at our property to make certain that the accommodations and the ensuing experience live up to our guest expectations--you may have noticed the new marble floors and surrounds in the bath area, new granite countertops throughout and the new plumbing, and there are more improvements to come. Regarding the late opening of the gift shop, I investigated and the team knows that promptness is a prioirty as it always has been. Our aim is to offer a gorgeous property, inside and out, and a relaxing and memorable guest experience in keeping with the Readers' Choice awards we've received from Travel + Leisure and Conde Nast Traveler magazines and our AAA Four Diamond rating for the past 15 years. We want to thank you for your specific feedback, as we will use it constructively to improve our guest experience.

Best,
Lola Roeh

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We did a one night getaway for our anniversary for a change of pace from our normal Wisconsin Dells retreats. We were not disappointed. We booked one of the lower end rooms facing their pond and even caught a great glimpse of the lake. Definitely stay in one of the newer towers. The whirlpool was big enough for two, the bed was huge and unbelievably comfortable, and the patio was ideal. We experienced a full body couples’ massage at Aspira Spa and were amazed. We’ve had the treatment at a similar resort and thought it can’t get much better but thankfully we were wrong! Incredible. The locker room shower (and everything in the resort) has top of the line Kohler water fixtures and I loved turning on 6 spouts to massage and cleanse. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful and made us feel at home.
Regarding the food in the resort, eat somewhere else. We tried both restaurants and they were atrocious. Lola’s was overpriced and terrible. Otto’s lacked flavor.
Thankfully, this wasn’t an important part of the experience. We’ll be going again, hopefully more in season so we can enjoy the lake a stone’s throw away.

Room Tip: North building
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy P
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Lack of communication among various sections of the resort.... My husband and I checked in for a one night stay as part of a "couples getaway" package. It was all paid for via phone prior to our arrival. Our room was nice, but outdated. Honestly the feeling I got from the resort was that it was more of a family friendly destination rather than a romantic resort for younger patrons (similar to katiec79's review actually). However we luckily didn't have the experience of screaming kids running around. Our stay was more like the shining with seemingly 3 or fewer other guests on the premises.

Anyway, there was confusion about the pre-paid spa package after our massage. We spent 20 minutes after our massage hashing out the details of the credits which really kills the relaxation vibe. Spa could use some updating/cleaning and my therapist ignored the one request I made to not have my face massaged.

There was more confusion about the dining credit at the restaurant, etc. For interconnected establishments it seems like WE had to explain to THEM what their package offered. It was frustrating to say the least.

The food and service at Lola's were good and my husband enjoyed his lamb chops. My chicken was good and the desserts were delicious.

Overall there was nothing horrible about our stay, I just deem it underwhelming because we've stayed many places in Chicago for the same amount of money that were much nicer. This definitely feels like a 1995 establishment. Meh.

Room Tip: I wouldn't return, but we had a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the grounds. We could hear people moving about in other rooms above us.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TR794

Dear TR794,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion with your package details. It should have been a seamless payment process so that every minute of your stay could have been spent relaxing rather than fretting over paperwork. This is not our standard and we certainly can do better on that. While the Osthoff is a family friendly resort, paticularly during the summer season, we are also a couples' destination. Couples tell us they particularly enjoy their precious time together at The Osthoff--whether it's a romantic dinner in Lola's, a couple's massage at Aspira or just ceebrating with a drink together in the Elk Room. Fall and Winter are lovely times for a couples' getaway here and we would be pleased to welcome you back.

Best,
Lola Roeh

Reviewed October 21, 2013

From the time you enter the property and throughout your entire stay you will be extremely impressed and leave relaxed, knowing you have had a little escape [even if it is work related]. Do not hesitate to stay here and experience this Resort!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business