This resort is very impressive from the outside, and in the lobby. But for the prices they charge, they should pay more attention to the condition of the rooms, and the competency of their housekeeping personnel.
We were able to check-in early, which was greatly appreciated, but our room wasn't very impressive. There were spider webs in most of the corners, tables hadn't been dusted in weeks, and there were two glaring things that shocked me. I opened the refrigerator, and was shocked at what I saw. Someone had spilled root beer (or some dark cola) all over the inside of the fridge, and it looks like it had been there a long time. Many of the other beverages were knocked over--it looked like someone had a wild party there & it hadn't been cleaned up (see pictures). Also, near the stair steps inside our unit, there was a huge hole in the wall, which made me wonder how many rodents had been in the unit.
I took pictures with my iPod to show the front desk, and they were shocked. They did the right thing by taking a bit of money off of our room, but I would have rather had the room be taken care of before we arrived.
The other thing that was disappointing was that there were several people waiting, with me, to shop in the gift shop the following morning. About 15 minutes after it was supposed to open, I asked the front desk if we could shop. Something was muttered about "She didn't show up again..." or something like that. The manager opened the shop, and we all hunted around, trying to help him find the light switches. We couldn't find some of them and had to use our phones as flashlights to see where we were going. If this has happened before, shouldn't someone (especially the manager) know how to run the shop? Very odd.
We ate in the restaurant, and the breakfast was okay, but not great. I wouldn't recommend it.
It's too bad--this place was gorgeous at one time, and could be again if someone cared enough to take care of the property. The outside of the place is stunning. Too bad that the inside doesn't match the outside.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Osthoff Resort, in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, is a premier AAA Four Diamond resort located on 500 ft of recreational lakefront. Offering a casual atmosphere within its elegant surroundings, The Osthoff Resort provides a romantic getaway for couples, while year-round indoor and outdoor activities, provide a family with many opportunities to enjoy spending time together. Our conference center offers spacious and well-appointed ballrooms and meeting rooms to assist in the productivity of retreats and conferences for our group guests. A host of seasonal getaway packages are available providing guests varying options for a holiday vacation. Whether spring, summer, fall or winter – The Osthoff Resort is your place in the lake.™ ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Osthoff Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Osthoff Resort Elkhart Lake
- Osthoff Hotel Elkhart Lake