“"dooby dooby doo doo doo ahh"”
Review of The Osthoff Resort

The Osthoff Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elkhart Lake
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
“"dooby dooby doo doo doo ahh"”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here at Osthoff Resort. I missed the opportunity to go sailing because it is a seasonal event. I try to keep the time frame in mind when I come to visit again. Wow!, a lot of history here with this Resort. Splendid!!! and Thoroughly Righteous...I left The Osthoff feeling as though, I can break out in a Song.. "dooby dooby doo doo doo ahh" LORD MARCUS!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Chicago
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I went with my boyfriend for a weekend stay in August. We had been to Kohler before so wanted to try something new. The resort was very far from relaxing! There were kids everywhere. They were running up and down the halls so we couldn't even relax while in the room. We woke up early Saturday morning to hit up the beach and every chair was taken. So, then we went to the pool and it was full of screaming kids. We even tried the beach bar thinking that would be safe but ended up waiting forever for a drink because there was a line of kids ordering virgin frozen drinks. I think this would be a great resort for families but was not a romantic quiet getaway.
For the price the rooms were disappointing. Next time we will fork out the little extra money and go to Kohler.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank katiec79
GoldenRule3, General Manager at The Osthoff Resort, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear KatieC79,

We are so sorry that your visit with your boyfriend was not what you had hoped for. We take your comments to heart and will use them constructively to improve both our communications and our level of service to our guests. August is the height of the summer holdiay season in Wisconsin, to be sure, with families enjoying time together before the start of the school year. Yet, we are truly a couples' destination, as well. Should you decide to return--and we hope you will--let us know what you are looking for in your stay and we will be sure to point you in the right direction. I can assure you that fall and winter are particulaarly wonderful seasons for couples' getaways at our resort. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again for an enjoyable, relaxing weekend with your boyfriend.

Lola Roeh
Maricopa, Arizona
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We guest at a wedding performed outside in the gazebo near the lake. Enjoyed a delicious buffet dinner afterwards in one of the banquet rooms. The staff was very courteous and helpful. Although we did not have a room there, those that did said that it was nicely appointed and each room had a good view of the spacious green lawn and the blooming bushes and flowers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Shawnee, Kansas, United States
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This resort if perfect for celebrations such as weddings. I had a great time and the experience will be one I remember for a lifetime. Even though it rained the day before, the grounds were well kept and all water was removed from walkways before the ceremony. I would suggest this resort for anything, and if I ever head up that way on vacation, I would book another suit there.

Room Tip: Well, I was alone but the room was big enough for 3 or 4 people. My sister got a big suit and it wa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My friends and I try to get together once a year, and picked the Osthoff for this year's getaway. We were only in the hotel for 10 minutes before we decided that we'll make our stay there an annual tradition. We had a 2-bedroom suite that boasted two bathrooms, a kitchenette, seating area w/fire place and a small balcony. It was the perfect space for us to hang out and relax. We got the last nice weekend in September, and even slipped into our swim suits to sit by the lake and hang out in the indoor hot tub. We definitely want to return to take advantage of the gorgeous lakefront beach. The staff was genuinely nice, with the exception of one front desk guy who was less than helpful and kind of snotty when we asked about where we could eat off-site. It's about an hour drive from Milwaukee - and felt like a true escape for a great weekend with friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Orland Park, Illinois
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had a wonderful time celebrating our First Wedding Anniversary at the Osthoff! Elkhart Lake is a great location for foodies - we had amazing meals both at Osthoff and in town! Our room was very nice for the price, and the grounds are truly breathtaking. The resort is massive so there are plenty of areas to sit, talk, relax, etc. And, I loved the fact that we could walk everywhere in town! There was no need to drive from the moment we checked in until the morning we departed, which was nice since we drove in from Chicago. Although, it only took a little over 2 hours to get there. We will definitely visit again... maybe in the summer to try out the beaches and water sports! This was a romantic getaway, but I can also see the potential of bringing the family here.

Room Tip: We stayed in 304B. Had a great view of the courtyard and could see the lake from our balcony. Great...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Every good thing you have seen written about this resort is true. I am so sorry I never stayed here before, but that will not be the case going forward. Perfect for a relaxing getaway, upscale yet unpretentious, and the suites ROCK! We had a Woodland Deluxe, and while it was at the back of the hotel, it was still perfect. Whirlpool tub, king size bed, huge balcony, quiet! This is worth it for a bit of a splurge for Wisconsinites, and a steal for our southern neighbors. BTW, the staff was excellent!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
52 Stafford
#4 of 5 in Plymouth
Baymont Inn & Suites Plymouth
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)

Been to The Osthoff Resort? Share your experiences!