“Winter Warmth and Christmas Spirit”
Review of The Osthoff Resort

The Osthoff Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elkhart Lake
Reviewed December 9, 2011

The Osthoff offers top of the line lodging with overly spacious rooms, outstanding service and fabulous food. I visited for the Christmas Market ( located in a tent steps from the hotel's front door) and the resortl was adorned in classic greenery with elegant sparkle- white lights, red or maroon bows, and natural additions like pine cones or fruit. Nothing tacky here.

The bed and linens were heavenly and the bath features marble and natural tiles. I actually used the large jacuzzi tub because it was so inviting. The in-room Wi-Fi signal was strong and I also had a microwave and mini-refrigerator, plus coffee maker. The closet was so huge it would have made a delightful nursery.

Lola's bar is so cozy and the food was a gourmet treat. It takes a little time to figure out the resort's layout and you may have to walk a distance, but the places is beautiful.

Room Tip: If walking is a concern, ask for a room near the main lobby.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bylandersea

Reviewed November 30, 2011

A convention brought me to the Osthoff! Our suite was very spacious, a couch, two chairs even a kitchenette! A therapeutic view of the lake and even a balcony you can view the moon and stars from!
The king size bed was so comfortable, many extra pillows, along with good quality sheets! Great night sleep, quiet and so relaxing!
The bathroom was very clean, the towels were soft and luxurious! The bathroom had a two person whirlpool!
This little gem is a must! The staff was kind and friendly!

Room Tip: A view of the lake was therapeutic to me! An amazing spa!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Spent Thanksgiving and the day after at the Osthoff with my parents. I had a beautiful two room suite, the bathroom was pure luxury and the bed was really comfy! Overall, the service was great - excellent room service, quick and reasonably priced. I spent time in the Elk Room working on Friday and the bartender Pat was so lovely and made a great iced coffee. Situated on a lake in a lovely little town, I am already looking forward to coming back to the Osthoff in the summer.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Took my wife for a one-night getaway to the Osthoff. We just returned. Wow. Our lake view deluxe suite had about as much square footage as our condo in Chicago. The kitchenette was better equipped than the usual kitchenette and included a range, plenty of counter space and all of the pots, pans and utensils one might need to cook a full family meal. The gas fireplace was a nice touch as was the view from our seating area: the lake (making the modest price increase well worth it). We also had a whirlpool tub.

My wife and I bought a couple's massage and very much enjoyed the spa. The meditation area was beautiful. The service itself was impeccable.

I must say that our meal at "Lola's on the Lake" was probably the highlight of my experience at the resort. Most Wisconsinites will laugh at the way I drool over Spotted Cow (yes...I know there are other, some would say better, New Glarus beers), but they had it on tap and I love that...sorry. My wife and I are pescetarian, so the menu was perfect for us. Vegetarians will also find plenty at Lola's. My wife ordered the pappardelle with shrimp and scallops. The scallops were perfectly seared and the pasta was awesome. However, I decided to order -what I misidentified as- the sleeper on the menu: the squash ravioli with truffle brown butter sauce. GOOD GOD-that sauce. It rocked my world. I was a member of the clean plate club last night and spent a fair amount of time interrogating our server about its ingredients.

Before we went to sleep, we opted to fill out the breakfast card for room service this morning. The potatoes were amazing and the service was right on time. Overall, I'd say that the service at the Osthoff was top notch. Everyone was friendly and we never had to wait for anything.

There's really quite a lot to do for the Holiday's (an old world Christmas Market, for example) and in the summer (did I mention there's a lake?). A small market around the corner in Elkhart Lake sells wine, cheese (everyone sells cheese in wisconsin...at least curds), dry goods and a range of produce comparable to Trader Joe's. There are also a few shops, cafe's and bars in town. Travel ten minutes to Plymouth for a full grocer and more variety of shops and restaurants with the same small town feel.

We were looking for a quiet fall getaway, and the Osthoff delivered in spades. However, we're already planning a return trip with family. The value of the room and full kitchen would make this perfect for a group.

Room Tip: definitely go for the lake view and the deluxe
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gomexicoChicago
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We made a fairly last-minute decision to try the osthoff for thanksgiving. The resort was very nice. We booked a lakeview suite which was spacious for two people. There was a nice kitchenette area with microwave, two-burner stovetop and mini-fridge. There was also plenty of kitchen storage if you stayed a while and wanted to stock up on groceries. There was a dining table for four. The living room had a smallish sofa and two chairs as well as a gas fireplace and a door to the deck. The bedroom had a high off the ground queen bed, a chair and a desk. Also, sliders to the deck and a nice bathroom with separate shower and Judith Jackson toiletries. Everything in the suite was in very good condition. My only, admittedly minor, complaint is that both TVs were average size and not flatscreen. Overall, a very nice room and a truly great value especially considering the rate. Suite was 416A. Resort was really quiet and although there were plenty of cars in the lots we hardly saw any other guests. I'm sure it's quite different in the summer. But resort and town were what you would expect for a summer lakeside resort in the off-season. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed in the newer North wing this time, granite, whirlpool tubs...the works. The suite was very nicely appointed and very clean and very quiet even though the resort was busy. Nicely equipped kitchen which is very handy.

Beautifully kept grounds once again with a pond, streams, and walking paths. Not so much as a gum wrapper littered.

Walking distance to nearly everything in Elkhart Lake. Terrific food on site or check out some of the great eateries in town.

Room Tip: Nearly all units are suites with separate bedroom(s), full kitchen/dining, a living area, and balcon...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SJDMonticello_WI
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Stayed at the Osthoff at the end of September 2011 for 4 days. What a wonderful experience. The grounds are beautiful with great walking paths. My room was lovely with full size kitchen appliances, dining area, and a living room with fireplace. I was on the ground floor and also had a nice patio with doors from the living room and bedroom. It was cool while I was there and I used the fireplace. The TV is above the fireplace and it was a nice relaxing evening. The appliances and TV were older models but clean and in good working condition. Staff was very friendly and most helpful with directions to attractions in the area. I would defintely stay again!

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the gardens and pond
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
#3 of 5 in Plymouth
Days Inn Sheboygan/The Falls
Days Inn Sheboygan/The Falls
#1 of 1 in Sheboygan Falls

Been to The Osthoff Resort? Share your experiences!