“Not worth your time”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Egg Harbor
Alpine Resort & Golf
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Egg Harbor
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Door County is such a beautiful place, there are a lot of better options out there than this one in Egg Harbor or other towns. I don't think this place has a resort feel at all. Its old, the food is mediocre, the rooms are small and not very good. Personally, I thought the service was not good, especially at the front desk, I had to stand around for more than 10 minutes waiting to talk to someone. The only thing I liked about this place was the view of Green Bay, I would not recommend this place.

4  Thank AnnaJem

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We booked the Birchmont "guest house" from the Alpine website. I TOTALLY agree with Nick G. The carpet was filthy, the furniture dirty, the air musty, only a window a/c unit, ANTS all over the kitchen counter, threadbare sheets, old mattresses, chipped cheap furniture, stains in the bathtub & shower, a "metallic" smell when the showers were on. We were so depressed at the conditions, we stayed away most of the time. The front porch furniture was uncomfortable with no cushions.
THE WORST PART?: When we brought all these items to the attention of the mgmt and asked to be allowed to leave after 4 days, they charged us the "regular rate" which amounted to OVER $400 APIECE for three of us!! TOTAL of > $1200 for 4 days.. Disgusting, and just plain ROBBERY! If they are charging this much, where is the $$ going?? DEFINITELY NOT into rennovation or cleaning!! Mgmt just seemed to focus on the "history" of Alpine and that it is an "older" resort... Then BE TRUTHFUL-- and call your Guest Houses "RUSTIC CABINS". We felt like we were at camp! Will never return and would not advise anyone else to go there either!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank Diane M
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our weekend in Door County was completely ruined. I took a day off to stay there for 3 days, but left to go home after just one night because the conditions were intolerable. We booked a 3 bedroom house and as soon as we walked in, the musty odor was unbearable. Unfortunately we had driven up after work, and checked in around 10 PM, and had no other options. So we did stay the night. Had we gotten there earlier in the day, we probably would have just turned around that same day.

I wish I read the reviews earlier where I noticed others also rated this place terrible. I do see that someone said they had stayed there many years ago, and they were happy to see it had not changed. Unfortunately, neither has the furniture, comforters and carpeting in this house, as they were so old and smelly that they've probably also been there for many years. This was murder on the kids allergies.

It was the worst night sleep ever. Our kids where scared to sleep in the house. And when we finally got to sleep, we were awoken at 3 in the morning by the Carbon Monoxide detector. It stopped ringing after about 10 seconds. Of course this absolutely scared the kids. They eventually fell back asleep, but I did not. I was pretty sure in was a faulty alarm, but needles to say I stayed up. The alarm went off again at 4:30 in the morning, and again only lasted a few seconds. When I reported it to the front desk, they did say they would change it immediately.

The most amazing thing to me is that we noticed a paper on the fridge that was proclaiming that this house had passed a health inspection. I have stayed in many hotels and resorts, and this was the first time I've ever seen someone try to prove it was ok by having a letter stating it was approved by the health inspector. Unbelievable! That should clue you in as to how bad it was if they have to provide that proof up front.

Room Tip: Definitely do not choose a house. Not sure what the rest of the place is like, but even the office...
6  Thank Nick G
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed over on a Sunday night in Egg Harbor in order to take advantage of the wonderful Free Peg Egan Sunday Night concert series at the outdoor amphitheater. The resort is definitely old fashioned, the room was on the small side, and the furnishings have seen better days and minimal. It was a little inconvenient not to have night stands next to the bed. We liked that it wasn't a generic, plastic experience, but if you want amenities, you will be disappointed. They do not offer packets of soap, shampoo, etc that you find at most other lodgings. That was only an issue for us after we had packed up already, but then used the bathroom before leaving. Our room was mostly clean, but the linens needed replacing. The sheets were pilled due to age and not very nice to sleep on. The bed itself was firm, but very comfortable for me. The bath and shower were spotless, and the shower flow and temp were excellent. The TV was a nice flat screen which worked beautifully, but took up half the space on the dresser. Our room faced the pool and the parking lot, but it was quiet when we were trying to sleep.

We did have breakfast in the morning and found prices in line with other restaurants in Egg Harbor and Door County. it is a resort area. We enjoyed the full breakfast, which was the best value for the money. Our only complaint was that it took a long time to get the first cups of coffee since our very friendly and excellent server was alone in the dining room. The hostess, who was not busy at all, did not seemed trained to do anything besides seat guests. It would be a great improvement if she was able to just get people started with coffee while they look over the menu. It was fully 10 minutes from the time we placed our breakfast order before we had coffee; then the food came very quickly after that. That was very unusual in our pretty extensive travel experience. I did mention this at the front desk when I turned in the keys.

One other note...we were first assigned a room right next to the elevator, which is V-E-R-Y slow and somewhat noisy. My husband went downstairs and called the elevator, then came back up the stairs to call the elevator while we listened from the room. It was not acceptable, but luckily we were able to get a different room assignment.

The grounds at the Alpine are lovely with a location right on the water. Upon leaving, we drove around and I did notice that the cabins looked a little basic from the outdoors. If we had stayed longer, we might have voiced some of the same disappointments others mentioned. I was not bothered by the doors being unlocked, and am surprised that some reviewers have made such a big deal about it. Personally, I really dislike being in a place that has every door locked all the time, so you have to run around to the lobby or juggle your key when trying to get back into the building. I didn't feel the least bit unsafe at the Alpine, but maybe that is a result of living most of my formative years in places where no one ever locked their doors. (And, no, I didn't live on a farm.)

That being said, we were satisfied with our stay for the one night, and felt the price was a little high but not out of line for Door County in the high season.

Room Tip: Try not to stay in the rooms next to the elevator. Lower floors are better, so you can take the stai...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Camera425
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were looking forward to staying at this landmark property but, we were disappointed. For the money, it definitely was not worth it. However, our room had a wonderful view, The bathroom was ancient and the toilet seat was in need of replacement. We did not dare open the shower door. The wallpaper on the ceiling and walls had not been replaced in the last 30 years. The bed linens were clean but very old. The hollow-core room door did not lock but, had a chain. The resort needs millions of dollars of improvements to make it an incredible property. We were happy to leave!

Room Tip: dated rooms
3  Thank Jim K
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We've been coming to DC for years, but have never stayed here before and never will again. We rented a guest house, which we know was rented the previous week because we originally wanted that week. When we walked in the place smelled awful. I literally had to hold my hand over my mouth to keep from throwing up. I am currently 8 months pregnant so definitely more sensitive to smells than most, but everyone agreed the place reeked. We had to go out and buy dish towels because we were only given one (after we asked for it) so we also bought air fresheners and deodorizers. It helped the smell in the air pretty well, but no matter how many times we sprayed fabric refresher on the furniture it continued to smell terrible. I refused to be barefoot anywhere inside the house--including the shower! Other members of my family did go barefoot and the bottoms of their feet were black. In addition, they are advertised to have air conditioning, which consisted of a window air conditioner on the first floor of a two story house. Luckily during our stay we didn't need A/C because I have no faith it would have cooled the upstairs. We found the major aspects to be completely disgusting, but even small relatively easy/inexpensive things to fix were bad--the towel bar was half falling out of the wall, the blinds were old, discolored and didn't work, the whisk basically disintegrated and gave us rusty eggs. I could really go on for awhile detailing every disgusting, dirty, or broken thing. I was shocked that the place was so busy because I cannot imagine anyone going back for a second visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Jaime P
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We made the mistake of eating dinner here after taking a tour of the property. We thought we might stay here on a later trip. It was Thursday night and there couldn't have been more than six active tables. The four of us ordered drinks. One of us ordered a pinot grigio. The waitress brought a pinot noir. When he pointed out the error, the waitress accused him of ordering the pinot noir, although she did make the correction.

It took 45 minutes before we received our food. Two of us had ordered ribeye steaks, medium rare. Shoe leather would have been tastier for both. One of the people spent the next 12 hours with lower GI problems.

There was a great view and comparisons to the resort in Dirty Dancing were made. We did not have a room or cabin here, but with the experience we had in the dinning room, we won't be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
#2 of 8 in Ephraim
Country House Resort
Country House Resort
#1 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to Alpine Resort & Golf? Share your experiences!