“Disgusting” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alpine Resort & Golf

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Egg Harbor
Alpine Resort & Golf
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Egg Harbor
LaCrosse, WI
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We've been coming to DC for years, but have never stayed here before and never will again. We rented a guest house, which we know was rented the previous week because we originally wanted that week. When we walked in the place smelled awful. I literally had to hold my hand over my mouth to keep from throwing up. I am currently 8 months pregnant so definitely more sensitive to smells than most, but everyone agreed the place reeked. We had to go out and buy dish towels because we were only given one (after we asked for it) so we also bought air fresheners and deodorizers. It helped the smell in the air pretty well, but no matter how many times we sprayed fabric refresher on the furniture it continued to smell terrible. I refused to be barefoot anywhere inside the house--including the shower! Other members of my family did go barefoot and the bottoms of their feet were black. In addition, they are advertised to have air conditioning, which consisted of a window air conditioner on the first floor of a two story house. Luckily during our stay we didn't need A/C because I have no faith it would have cooled the upstairs. We found the major aspects to be completely disgusting, but even small relatively easy/inexpensive things to fix were bad--the towel bar was half falling out of the wall, the blinds were old, discolored and didn't work, the whisk basically disintegrated and gave us rusty eggs. I could really go on for awhile detailing every disgusting, dirty, or broken thing. I was shocked that the place was so busy because I cannot imagine anyone going back for a second visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Jaime P

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Prairie du Sac, WI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We made the mistake of eating dinner here after taking a tour of the property. We thought we might stay here on a later trip. It was Thursday night and there couldn't have been more than six active tables. The four of us ordered drinks. One of us ordered a pinot grigio. The waitress brought a pinot noir. When he pointed out the error, the waitress accused him of ordering the pinot noir, although she did make the correction.

It took 45 minutes before we received our food. Two of us had ordered ribeye steaks, medium rare. Shoe leather would have been tastier for both. One of the people spent the next 12 hours with lower GI problems.

There was a great view and comparisons to the resort in Dirty Dancing were made. We did not have a room or cabin here, but with the experience we had in the dinning room, we won't be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank halfmast

Travelers are raving about these Egg Harbor hotels

Munster, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

This resort is like entering a museum. They have artifacts from their existence almost 90 years ago displayed in large cases in the resort. It is like being in a OLD Swiss chalet. We felt like we were on the set of Dirty Dancing. There was a Lawrence Welk era band playing in the lobby at night. Old porch with Adirondack chairs. Beautiful view of the Lake. I have to say that we loved our breakfast: Gus' omelettes. They serve their toast with local cherry jam; delicious!

BTW, our room was really small and the amenities deserved a 3 star rating. I was happy they had AC in the room, but it blows right on you The shower stalls are a thin plastic and there wasn't any shampoo, but it was all we needed. You can walk into "town" in 5 minutes along a walking trail. Cute shops and beautiful marina. I gave the sunset watching there five stars...

Room Tip: We paid $20 extra for a room with a view. There was no balcony, just a small window that you could...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed, for the first time, at Alpine Resort over Memorial Day. We've stayed at all the newer resorts in Door County and none come close to the great service and hospitality we received at the Alpine. A historic hotel and superb location along Green Bay in Egg Harbor. We loved the accommodations and full breakfast each morning. If you want new, stay at a newer place. If you want serenity, beautiful scenery and genuine hospitality stay at the Alpine. We will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JM135178
Las Cruces, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Went there for many years only good thing left are the Golf Courses. The family has taken the money and never uodated this place. A great location but go stay somewhere elde and play the Golf Course. When I grew up it was a wonderful place to stay, but the family never updated this Resort. John and Bill must be looking down and saying, How could you do this to what we Built many many years ago. I blame the current owners. Time to totally Re-do.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Howard S
alpineresort, Owner at Alpine Resort & Golf, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
My name is Emily and I appreciate your blog. As you know, our family resort has a history and heritage of providing a great vacation destination for many generations. We have a rich and strong foundation in Door County.

We offer a detailed history tour of Alpine and Egg Harbor and invite you to join us and discover the many changes and improvements that have been made over the years including the most recent changes this past winter. Please call us or email us and we will personally guide you through this tour. Our email address is alpine@itol.com and our phone number is 1-888-281-8128. I look forward to your reply.
elmhurst, il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

My family and I visited this resort in Egg Harbor last year with our family and totally fell in love with it. I have two sons, ages 10 and 13. There was so much to do and my boys are extremely active. From swimming at the beach to tennis to golf, the place kept us busy.

Most importantly was the care and maintenance of the resort and the golf course. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The care of this grand resort was unmatched, especially the upkeep of the accommodations. This is one of the most historical and unique places that I have found in Door County. I've taken my family to other locations in Door County but this place is one of a kind.

I've made my reservations for this year and my family can not wait until our next visit. We know we'll have a wonderful visit. We loved it!

Room Tip: Tell the staff about your family and the ages of your children. They will help recommend a room or...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jimh415
alpineresort, Owner at Alpine Resort & Golf, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
I’m Emily and my family and I are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our resort. Our goal is to provide a clean, safe, fun environment for our guests.

We look forward to your return visit this summer and we appreciate the confidence you have in Alpine. We hope to continue to provide your family a true Door County experience.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I agree with disappointed commenters. We were there during heat wave and small room AC units in the windows were ok but rest of hotel was stuffy and almost unbearable. We have a small daughter with heart condition and the lack of central AC plus ancient slowest elevator ever were huge turn offs. I had asked/told staff when i reserved over phone about need for AC and wouldve been nice if staff had clarified to me then that rooms had window units but nothing else was air conditioned. We almost left the moment we arrived and saw our adjoining rooms, but didn't know where else we would go on a holiday weekend with our family of 5 (3 kids under 4) being 5 hours from home. We spent almost no time at the resort for the reasons already shared by other reviewers. Particularly disappointed that their "private beach" was 10-15 min walk down the road to a public beach that just had a sign posted private corner for hotel guests. Beach was big reason for us picking resort with own beach, but it was a total waste and very misleading. I thought the meal we had there was just ok, though one kid's pasta was gluey and inedible. My husband thought it was like "roughing it" and that parts of main lodge were charming in an old antique store kind of way. I just thouht it looked dingy and gross. We will never EVER return.

• Stayed July 2012
Homestead Suites
Homestead Suites
#2 of 10 in Fish Creek
Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort

Been to Alpine Resort & Golf? Share your experiences!