All reviewscinnamon rollsbeach housegathering roomfire pitcontinental breakfastgreen baydoor countyhot tubthe upper levelseparate sinkweather permittingbrought our dogcoffee and juicenice groundsfamily vacationtennis courtsbeautiful flowers
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Every summer we take get the entire family together from the Midwest and take a week to celebrate my fathers birthday.. This year he turned 75. In years past we would stay in Michigan, from Sleeping Bear Dunes to Saugatuck. This year his wife found the Shallows and we could not have been happier.

It’s not easy getting four rooms together, but the staff was very accommodating and worked it out when we made the reservations.

When we arrived we were greeted with a warm and friendly welcome, ample parking and very clean grounds. My wife an I had a king size bed in a large, clean room with a balcony which provided us great views of the shoreline and grounds. Having never been to Door County there was tons of information on things to do and places to see in the lobby and the staff was very helpful. The WiFi internet was not working correctly so my nephew and I went to the office to inquire. The woman at the desk told us that she will check into it and within an hour it was fixed. We needed additional pillows an within 10 minutes they were on our bed. Even the breakfasts of bagels and cinnamon rolls were restocked as soon as they ran out.

The resort provides bikes to ride, kayaks, rowboats, canoes, tennis gear and even grills and BBQ tools if you want to grill out. There is a 100 foot dock which you can swim off of or just walk out and watch the sunset. Speaking off sunsets, the only way you will miss the sunset anywhere on the resort grounds are if you are facing east…. They offer two fire pits with wood and tons of seating to gather around. Every night someone would build a fire and most of the guests would sit together and share tales of their days adventures. The pool and hot tub is very well maintained and clean. Not to much chlorine to burn your eyes, however it was a bit on the cool side for our liking. Right off the pool is “the Gathering Room” which is a room with 5 tables and comfortable chairs where breakfast is served. In the evenings families would play games, cards or just sit and read. Each room has a 19 inch TV with DVD player. The resort offers free DVD movies at the front desk. Its not a small collection either, they have a 15 page list of titles from new releases to old classics to kids movies, complete with the movie rating (G, PG, PG13, R). The owners thought of everything

Just a few things to be aware of:
The resort offers over 300 feet of private shoreline but has no sand beach. There are two public sand beaches just north and south of the property.
This is also a very family oriented place so if you are looking to “get away from the kids” we would recommend you look elsewhere. Not saying the kids are poorly behaved, that is not the case at all. It’s just very kid friendly, complete with a new playground right off the pool.

On a geeky note: If you are an astronomy buff, this is the perfect place to sit and star gaze. We were even treated to a view of the Northern Lights while we were there.

If you are planning a trip to Door County with your family, The Shallows is the place to stay. We have already booked our trip for next year…..

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Having just returned from an annual family trip to Door County, I figured it was high time to give this place its due in a review. The Shallows is a comfortable, lovely place and number 1 on my list of vacation destinations. The grounds are beautiful, the staff friendly and professional but completely non-intrusive, and there are tons of "little things" that make it such a nice resort. My husband and I stayed in a the motel unit for the first time this trip, while my parents, sister, brother-in-law, niece, and nephew stayed in a Beachhouse unit. The location on the Horseshoe Bay is just lovely, and you can enjoy the sunset, the sounds of the waves, and simple quiet pleasures while the little ones play in the sand area or while meeting new friends around the well-maintained fire pits. A simple, but tasty, continental breakfast (warm sweet rolls, bagels & cream cheese, coffee, juice) is offered with your room each day. The pool and hot tub are the perfect place to cool off (or warm up) and have some fun no matter your age. On the Wednesday night of our trip, a huge storm rolled over the bay, and the power went out. When we walked back to our motel room from the Beachhouse, we noticed candles lighting our way up the stairs...just another simple but thoughtful touch that epitomized how valued the guests at this resort are. Counting down the days until our stay next year!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank cjodegard
Reviewed June 25, 2010

We were up in Door County for a family wedding recently. My family, my parents and my sisters family all stayed at The Shallows Resort. It was the most clean, friendly, quiet and yet kid friendly place. The kids had so much fun there and didnn't want to leave. We thought they would live in the pool, but loved being in the lake swimming, Kayaking, canoeing or out using the bikes and basketball courts. I never heard them say "I am bored". The free rolls in the morning were so good too! We will be back again, we will never stay at any where else. Thanks for a great trip!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kim010672
Reviewed May 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed in the Shoreside Motel on a vacation with my parents who had been to Door county on their honeymoon 63 years ago. This spot could not have been better - great views of the water from a private deck - huge window/door, screened so you could hear the waves yet have the security lock my mom loves. Refridgerator, microwave, TV, spacious room, clean. Very relaxing. Friendly knowledgeable owners.
And, in the morning, a breakfast room with juice, teas, coffee, mini bagels with cream cheese and wonderful cinnamon rolls (frosted and HOT). We will definitely go back.
Sue & Jim

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SeattleSueJim
Reviewed May 21, 2010

We stayed in the Shallows Cottage for five nights the first week of May. The resort had just opened for the season and there were very few guests yet. The cabin was very nice with three bedrooms, two bathrooms, an open kitchen/eating/living area and a screen porch. The kitchen/eating/living area and porch look directly over Green Bay. The view was wonderful.

The resort pool was still closed and continental breakfast wasn't being served yet. We knew that going in. The cabin was clean and well stocked with kitchenware. There is free high-speed Internet that we used quite a bit. It was slow, but adequate.

One night there a few other people at the resort and two nights we were the only people there. Not sure if it would be noisy or not when the place is full.

The owner gave us a great deal on the cabin because it was the opening of the season. My only complaint would be the mattress in the master bedroom. It needs to be replaced.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple