“Worst experience I've had in 7 years!”

The Roadhouse of Carlsville
Ranked #26 of 29 Restaurants in Egg Harbor
Cuisines: American
Ames, IA
“Worst experience I've had in 7 years!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My spouse and I entered the Roadhouse on a Friday. We arrived at 1:20 pm. There was a table of six just being served, and two other tables of four. Another table of four came in after us. Our waitress came over and gave us each a menu. When my spouse asked what beers were on tap, our server pulled a crumbled, hand-written scrap of paper out of her pocket, and placed it on the table for my husband to look at.

Five minutes later, the waitress returned, took our drink order and our food order. We ordered a fried appetizer and a chicken sandwich and a tenderloin sandwich. By now it was 1:30 pm.

At 1:50, as the waitress walked by, I mentioned she could bring our appetizer to the table, prior to our sandwiches, as we were quite hungry. She said she would do that.

At 1:55, a group of eight people arrived and sat at the bar. One of the tables of four had left and another was served their food; we could hear them exclaiming that what was brought to their table wasn't what they ordered.

At 2:00 pm our server asked if my spouse would like another beer. I asked if our food would be out shortly and the waitress said yes.

At 2:10, I noticed that the party of eight, sitting at the bar, had drinks and appetizers and several were eating sandwiches. All this fifteen minutes after their arrival, when we had been sitting at our table for fifty minutes. After a few minutes of discussion, I called the waitress over to our table and asked for the check, telling her that we were leaving, as we had been there just a couple minutes short of an hour.

She brought the check over and placed it on the table and said "Sorry about that". I then questioned how the food orders go into the kitchen, wanting to know how the party of eight at the bar was served before a party of two, that arrived 35 minutes before they did?

The waitress said "Your order was more complicated than theirs was." I failed to see how our order of one appetizer and two simple grilled sandwiches was more complicated than appetizers for eight and the multiple sandwiches that they ordered. The look on my husband's face must have caused her to add "We are also training a new employee." She then asked "Would you like your food to go?" We turned her down on that offer and I was surprised there was no further offer of comping the meal, or any other compensation suggested.

I mentioned to the server that I write reviews for Trip Advisor and that I planned to report my experience. She responded, "I hope you will give us another chance in the future, and if you DO write for Trip Advisor, I hope you will take into consideration how busy we are and that we are training a new guy in the kitchen."

I handed our server a twenty dollar bill to pay for the two beers and she had another waitress (who had been drinking soda behind the bar) bring back our change.

I have visited many restaurants (casual and fine dining) in Door County in my travels over the last four years. My spouse and I have never had to wait fifty minutes and still not be served. I wish I had asked to talk to a manager or owner, because the entire situation was unpleasant. If you are looking for food in Door County, I recommend you steer clear of the Roadhouse.

• Visited July 2013

Menasha, Wisconsin
“Good fish fry”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stopped in on a Friday evening and my wife and I both had perch. The place is nice and the staff is friendly. The food was good and the prices are not outrageous. I will definitely go back.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Derrick T
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great Local Bar - OUTSTANDING Fried Chicken Dinners”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is a new building - in summer of 2011 there was a fire which destroyed the building .. but they rebuilt and this new bar is a nice new clean start. They serve great burgers but their real niche is the broasted fried chicken .. it's HUGE.. and it's delicious and perfectly prepared. A Sunday afternoon visit to Simon Creek Winery for music and wine .. with a stop over at The Roadhouse for a sunday chicken dinner is a perfect day. A perfect alternative to neighboring places - stop here.. you won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2012