“Perfect for the Active”

Ranked #1 of 4 Egg Harbor B&B and Inns
Des Plaines IL
“Perfect for the Active”
Reviewed March 20, 2010

My friends and I all in our 20's needed a place to stay on a budget for a week. We found the Lull-Abi Inn perfect for our stay. I worked in Egg Harbor after high school for 3 years and never really noticed the place. I was blown away with the respect we received from the owners who treated us as adults and not some punks up for a weekend of fun. We arrived early in the morning from Chicago to avoid all traffic. Check in was later in the day but once we checked in the owners made sure the staff made our room available first. They could have told us go wait in town for a few hours but they didn't. Also the staff was amazingly funny and kind. We did not want to subject them to cleaning up after 20 somethings everyday but they forced us to leave (not in a bad way) to make sure we had the cleanest room possible. The hot tub was a plus, a nice soak to start the day is really the way to go. We really only used the room to sleep and and shower before headed to the beach all day, but i have to say i love this place and i will stay there for many summers to come. The owners are by far the nicest couple in town.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chicago2door

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 25, 2009

My Husband and I have stayed at the Lull-Abi Inn for many years. The rooms are tastefully decorated and kept fresh and clean. The towels are extra thick, fluffy and numerous! The Inn has a wooded "back yard", is quiet and centrally located with a great restaurant right next door.

We choose a suite that comes with a wet bar, microwave, coffee maker/coffee and small fridge. A fresh dish towel and dish cloth are supplied every day along with microwave popcorn. Since we prepare food to take with us, on the road, this is perfect for our needs; complete with cutting board and knife. It is the little things that count!

Lovely living area with small dining table. As a traveler for many years, I love returning to the Lull-Abi and finding it even more comfortable than how I remembered it.
The owners, Gail and Bruce are very gracious hosts and over the years, have become our friends.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Midwest
Reviewed September 14, 2009

We booked a trip to the area and arrived, exhausted, ready for some rest and relaxation in a beautiful town. We are, formerly, and wistfully, Wisconsinites (Spring Green area), and we were really looking forward to a much needed respite.

My wife went to get our room. We had picked up our dogs from the kennel, and would be staying one night, our last night of our week's vacation, in Egg Harbor, with our dogs comfortably sleeping in the bed of our station wagon (windows rolled down).

The owner castigated my wife for trying to sneak dogs into his establishment. My wife explained that the dogs would be staying the night in the back of our station wagon. The owner persisted in accusing my wife of trying to sneak the dogs past him, but apparently was only too happy to get the room filled for the night; my wife felt intimidated by him, and paid.

My wife came back to the car, visibly shaken. When she told me what transpired, I went in to talk to the owner. A bit of background, that doesn't help matters - I am hobbled by a spinal injury, and was laying down in our car, waiting to go in to our room and lay down, much needed after the drive. The last thing I wanted for any of us was to be put in a horrible situation, even for one night.

I got inside and asked the owner what the issue was, and I again reiterated that we would not be taking the dogs into the room. He became extremely heated, pounded on a sign on his wall that said "no pets on premises," said "that means NOWHERE!!!!" and sneered that the prohibition was also on his website.

As of today's writing, I see no such information anywhere on his site, and obviously didn't see it when we booked the room (and again - the issue is, or should be moot - since the dogs would not be in the room). The irony is that although I did see a single, small piece of paper on the wall, saying "no pets on premises," the wall also contains numerous pics of ... pet dogs.

As I spoke with this man, it almost immediately became clear to me that this was a very, very angry guy. Due to his red-with-anger demeanor, I did not feel comfortable with my family and I staying at his motel; I said that just wouldn't work out, we'll just need to need to cancel our stay and get a refund, and we'd be on our way - at this point, in my mind, move on - simply, not something I want to get involved in, staying here with such ill will; but no real harm done, let's all move on, etc.

However, the man continued to castigate me and my family, in an extremely agitated manner. I told him we do not need to speak further, just need to simply process the refund and we'll be concluded. He continued laying into me and my family, with his manner worsening, until it grew to the point he was bordering on an aggressive or violent posture, in my measure of it; in pain, exhausted, and finally, well, I had had enough; I finally lost my cool, said some words with more color than I wish I had (not my style - and I am blown away any of this came to this point, to be honest); I also told him I would be relaying my experience in a web review.

The owner jumped up, literally quaking with anger, pounding the desk and spitting venom, and, to take the cake, threatening to call the sheriff (to which I said, "that would be fine" - again, I simply wanted to get the refund processed, so that we could leave and have nothing more to do with this man or his off-kilter business - I had zero issue telling this to anyone, including the Sheriff's department, and if anything, this guy needed some help cooling his jets).

I guess when he got ahold of himself long enough to realize a sheriff might view the scene differently than he had hoped, he processed the refund, slammed down the refund slip; I took it and left.

In town, looking for some recommendations on last-minute places to stay, we understood from talking to a few others that this owner apparently has an anger issue, and he isn't recommended (gotta say - when several people from a small place all say the same thing, along the lines of an eye-rolling, "oh, yep - that's him" kind of acknowledgment, saying that the man does indeed have an issue with anger, and dealing well with others...well, let's just say I wish we'd known earlier).

I'd strongly recommend anyone considering a stay to consider any number of other wonderful, wonderful places in town, and what a wonderful town it is. Shame this man almost poisoned the experience for us, but we are very grateful to have been so well-treated by a few, very understanding, others.

And should you have pets, the Egg Harbor Visitor's Center very graciously provides pet-friendly lodgings located everywhere in the area.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank GadjoFesty
sailingfan, Owner at Lull-Abi Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2009
One needs to assume that at some time a guest will be upfront and forthcoming about his plans while staying at a lodging property. My website, the confirmation he received, and the 81/2 x11 sign in my office clearly state "No Pets on Premises". We do this not because we dislike pets, but because we strive to provide the cleanest property anywhere. You can tell we succeed by reading the remaining Trip Advisor reviews.
This guest never asked about our pet policy when making the reservation and never told me they had two dogs until after they had checked in and paid. Had they asked in advance I would not have taken the reservation.
I would ask you to discount this review.
Green Bay wi
Reviewed August 27, 2009

3 girl friends and myself decided to go to door county this year, we go on vacation every year together. We shop alot, play cards, and just relax.
This was one of the best vacations we have had. The apartment was the way to go. We had seperate bedrooms for those who wanted to sleep in and those who get up early. The kitchen was furnished with everything. Housekeeping was great, and the owners could not have been nicer and more helpful.
We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
Reviewed June 29, 2009

The Lull-Abi Inn in Egg Harbor is not a place that stands out from the roadway, but it is well worth checking out. We were pleasantly surprised and will definitely be back! In Door County, there are many hotels that draw in the visitor from their appearance of elegance, not exactly the case with this Inn. But......the amenities and cleanliness more than make up for a lack of superficial elegance.

The owner cheerfully offered to upgrade our room choice when my husband called with less than a week's notice for a room. At no extra cost! It appears that the owners tried to think of just about anything that someone might be looking for in a room. There was an abundance of nice towels in the room, and I really enjoyed the "luxury" of not seeing that little sign in the bathroom asking me to place my towels on the racks in order to "save the environment". By the abundance of towels, I felt like I could pamper myself and use several towels if I so desired.....and I did just that! There was a package of microwave popcorn waiting for us, a cutting board and a small knife (for the lemon for our Corona) and even a listing of local beers that could be purchased at the office. A very nice in ground whirlpool tub in a separate building overlooked a beautiful back yard with many mature trees. They even provided plastic cups at the whirlpool site for your beverages.

The room was meticulously clean. The daily room service again cleaned the room and the bathroom to high standards of excellence. I am very particular about the cleanliness of hotel stays, and this place rated at a superior level.
We will be back later this summer. My husband actually changed plans for accommodations for our week long vacation, to incorporate another stay at this Inn.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mjrswim
Philadelphia
Reviewed May 2, 2009

One of the great things about Door County is the variety of family owned inns that reflect the character of their owners. When we go to Door County we always like to try a different place, and on our last trip we found a great place in Egg Harbor…the Lull-Abi Inn! The place is spotless and well maintained, the rooms are modern and comfortable with refrigerators in all rooms, air conditioning, cable TV was being installed while we were there, and free wireless internet access. While there are fancier places to stay in Door County the Lull-Abi provides us with everything we need for a great stay at a moderate price. We will return!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
sailingfan, Owner at Lull-Abi Inn, responded to this review, May 24, 2009
The cable TV is now installed so you can enjoy 70 channels! I also had the internet speed upgraded to the fastest Charter offers, and it's great!
Texas
Reviewed October 28, 2008

We stayed at the Lull-Abi Inn in Egg Harbor Oct. 17-19th 2008. It was the weekend of the Sister Bay Fall Festival and most of the rooms in the area were booked. We were happy to find a place with two double beds for the low price of $89 per night.

First off I must say the room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. (We stayed in room 10 on the lower floor). The room did NOT have a view of any kind except of the parking lot, but we expected that being on the lower floor. We did have a small refridgerator, which was nice. Those are the pluses.
What I MUST say is that the room was in serious need of updating!!

The baseboard heater along the wall, which heats the room, was not consistant at all. It could not be adjusted. It was either HOT or cold in the room. This is a very outdated way of heating!!! We opted for cold, as it was uncomfortable to be too warm all night and opening the window was out of the question as we were on a busy road.

The bathroom was very small and needed some repairs, which we did tell the manager about when we left. The toilet rocked, I guess the seal was old. The sink leaked, which caused everything I put under the sink to be wet. We found out if you turned on the light over the sink AND the shower light at the same time, one went out. So I guess the electrical is in need of updating! The biggest problem was a VERY small shower stall! WOW! Something you would see in a campground! A tight fit, and dificult to shower in the dark!!! (Since the light went out!)

Last of all, the walls are PAPER THIN. I heard the man in the room next to us talking to his wife and it startled me at first because his words were clear as a bell, and he was NOT talking loudly!

Fortunately, they were pretty quiet and we made it through our two nights. I don't think I would recommend the place though. Just too many inconviences. I'd rather pay a little and get some basic comforts!

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Small room, needed updating and repairs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank scrapcatTexas
sailingfan, Owner at Lull-Abi Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2009
I'm very sorry this guest was so disappointed in her room, Had she told me I would have cheerfully refunded her money. Ours is a family owned property (as are most Door County properties) and we pride ourselves on guest satisfaction. While I am pleased the guest found the room clean and comfortable, I was dismayed in the maintenance issues and have corrected them over the winter, including a new heater. As for this room, I must note that these 3 rooms are listed and sold as "value doubles" with a small bath. These are my smallest rooms. That's why they are only $85 on a festival weekend!! Had the guest wanted a larger room she should have reserved a larger room or a suite, all of which are much newer . These 3 rooms do not reflect the rest of the rooms at our property, but do represent a great value for the budget minded traveler.

We are committed to providing all of our guests with a great Door County experience. We own it!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egg Harbor
Homestead Suites
Homestead Suites
#3 of 10 in Fish Creek
AppleCreek Resort- Hotel & Suites

Been to Lull-Abi Inn? Share your experiences!