“Gorgeous sunset!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Egg Harbor Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Egg Harbor
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Gorgeous sunset!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for our 5th anniversary in one of the Top Deck king rooms. The view of the bay was phenomenal! While the room decor was a little dated, that was the only negative. We enjoyed the location, as we walked into Egg Harbor every day of our trip to shop and imbibe. The colors of the leaves were also eye-popping, but not as much as the sunset on our last evening there. Truly spectacular!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason K
Sarah S, Owner at Egg Harbor Lodge, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your great review. We are so glad your liked our location, view, your room and our close proximity to the center of the village. Each year we make improvements to our units. I wish that we were able to make all the changes in one year but for us that just isn't possible.

We are glad you spent your anniversary at Egg Harbor Lodge and hope that you make it your new tradition. Thanks again for staying with us and we are glad you were able to experience "The Best Water View in Door County!"

Sarah Sawyer
Owner/Manager

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

For those of you unfamiliar with Door County, Wisconsin--you can spend tons of $$$ and get a conventional resort experience here if you want--similar to any ubiquitous resort destination--please do that, if that is what you want. Or, you can opt for a unique experience. Door County is a singular destination--franchise-free--made up of independently owned and operated resorts.
The Egg Harbor Lodge has been in the owners' family for generations. Those of us who come here repeatedly come because we know the owners, know the property and know this is the BEST view in Door County.
I look forward every year to our trip to Door County, anticipating my mornings on the balcony at the Egg Harbor Lodge drinking coffee and watching the boats on Green Bay, and the evenings sitting with wine and hors d'oeuvres watching the spectacular sunsets.
This is a genuine, unique place--give it a try if this is the type of experience you want.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Wisconsin2travelers
Sarah S, Owner at Egg Harbor Lodge, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Wow.... thank you so much for posting such a great review. I am so glad you "get" Egg Harbor Lodge. We work really hard trying to make our guests happy just as my parents had when they ran Egg Harbor Lodge. We don't pretend to be a 5 star hotel but we do strive to take great care of our guests, rooms and grounds. Most of our guest are like you and take time to enjoy the view on their balconies with coffee in the a.m and a cocktail at night. Guests still applaud the sunsets and when they do I take it as a personal compliment and it makes me smile. We take great pride in Egg Harbor Lodge and I appreciate you taking the time to write about us... thank you so much!

Sarah Sawyer
Owner/Manager
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

In April of this year, I reserved 2 rooms at this establishment for the night of August 16 (the full cost of the rooms was deducted at the time of booking). My in-laws were coming to Wisconsin for a visit and we wanted a fun road trip. On Sunday, August 12, I had a very close friend pass away suddenly. For whatever reason, I had it in my mind that our reservation was August 17. The owner, Mark, phoned me the evening of the 16th asking where I was. I explained to him that I apparently had my dates mixed up. Totally my fault....but with my friends passing, I'm not surprised this happened. Not only was Mark rude to me in our conversation, it was clear he had no interest in what I had to say. He told me to call back in the morning and ask for Sarah, which I did. Sarah was also rude, and unwilling to work with me. I was not asking for or expecting a refund.I was hoping that perhaps they would consider offering me at least some type of a partial credit that I could apply to another date, so that I did not have to take a total loss of $370 plus dollars. What disturbed me even more than their inflexibility was the condescending way in which they spoke to me (they had my money, so was that really necessary??) I totally get that it was my mistake...but I do think that something could have been somehow worked out. My family loves to shop, so they would have happily contributed to the economy of Egg Harbor. Having said all this, Egg Harbor Lodge would be the last place I would contact for a Door County visit in the future, nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. Unfortunate for them....I am not from Wisconsin, and have lot's of family & friends who like to visit me from my home State. We'll find another place to stay in Egg Harbor...that is for certain.

** A final thought - I've shared this experience with many and have received the same response from everyone: "I bet the reason that they called you was because they had someone standing there wanting your room and they wanted to be sure you wouldn't show up!" A very lucrative night them perhaps?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Shirley L
Sarah S, Owner at Egg Harbor Lodge, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
I am very sorry this customer had such a bad experience dealing with me personally. I started working at the Egg Harbor Lodge when my parents bought it in 1976 and Mark and I have owned it since 2004. As small innkeepers we pride ourselves on customer service, as our business is built on return guests and referrals. Apparently, we fell far short in the way we handled this no-show guest, and Mark and I will discuss this to understand how we fell so short of 100% customer satisfaction. Both Mark and I apologize for our errors.

I would, however, ask for understanding about the effect of a 2 room no-show on a 25 unit inn that is only open 6 months of the year. We held these particular units since April and we need to sell every room at every opportunity, particularly in July and August when we are sold out most nights. Having two rooms just not show up on a day where we were turning away business is revenue we will never recoup. We can't afford to have that happen, which is why we charge a one-night deposit at time of reservation.

We do make a practice of calling guests who haven't shown up before we close the office to make sure they know where to pick up their keys and directions to their room.
delafield, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Every year my friend and I return to Egg Harbor Lodge for a 3 night visit...no babysitting, no schedules...just a time devoted to shopping and deciding where to go out for dinner. We call it a girl's getaway, but clearly we are not girls anymore.

We began coming to EHL when it was run by Bob and Gloria Hasting. However, the tradition of feeling like family continues with Sarah Hasting Sawyer and her husband Mark, who have taken over running EHL.

Egg Harbor Lodge is a small. family run business which offers a VERY quiet and peaceful atmosphere. What an INCREDIBLE VIEW of the body of water called Green Bay and its spectacular sunsets. My friend and I have been fortunate enough(due to her son's job) to have stayed in 5 or 4 star hotels in suites with robes, fresh fruit plates and extra amenities, but when we come to Egg Harbor Lodge those extras are not what we are looking for. We just want to be back at EHL, catch up on the Sawyer family, decide where to have dinner, take walks, and go to our favorite places in Door County and of course relish the quietness and sunset. I know that you will enjoy your stay at Egg Harbor Lodge

Read the other reviews which may be more comprehensive than mine, but if you want to get the latest news about the lodge and about what is happening in Door County be sure to read Sarah's newsletters. They are full of humor and places that Sarah and Mark love in Door County.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank SRKT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days in the middle of June. We we're celebrating our 1 year Anniversary and wanted an adult only place to stay. The Egg Harbor Lodge was just what we were looking for. The view is just perfect very peaceful and romantic. We enjoyed the pool and our private patio often.
The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was welcoming and helpful.
We will be going back to stay on our next visit up to Door County.

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Fallstraveling
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

We just returned from a magnificent escape to Door County. For the first time in numerous visits to the area, we stayed at the Egg Harbor Lodge. By reading this review you have entered the "circle of trust"....meaning, you're now learning about this secret treasure of Egg Harbor. I hope we will be able to get a room the next time I try to book here!! It is that impressive, that peaceful, that homey, and that perfect a location. I was very tempted to keep all its glory to myself!!

The landscaping is beautiful. The grounds are pristine, and in order to fully enjoy all of it, including the majestic backdrop of water below your perch on a bluff, you have choices of adirondack chairs or lovely tables and chairs with umbrellas set on brick patio squares, or the chairs on your private balcony to take it all in. The view is truly spectacular. It is unimaginable that there is a better property to watch the sun set over beautiful Green Bay. We didn't even go out to dinner, simply picked up some local cheese, fruit, bread, etc, from the local market and sat comfortably watching the setting sun with cocktails...three nights in a row, never tiring of the experience! There is a refreshing pool that is clean and part of the graceful outdoor setting, and an indoor hot tub in it's own room off the lawn that is underrated. Large towels are available so leave the beach towels at home.

We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite (apartment) with our good friends, and found it to meet all of our needs. Both bedrooms have king beds, each couple got their own bathroom. This unit may have the best view in all of Door County! The bed was comfortable with updated "hotel" linens. The unit is not new in terms of furnishings, plumbing fixtures and appliances, but this did not matter to us in the least, because we found the price to be fair (especially with a June deal!), and the beauty of the setting made it all worthwhile. We met Sarah, the owner, and she was welcoming and kind, but left us to enjoy ourselves. She was helpful but never intrusive!

It's just a comfortable walk to the town of Egg Harbor, with many choices for meals and shopping. There's a beautiful newly rebuilt harbor to explore and a lovely park to sit and rest a while. Try the Chocolate Chicken for your morning coffee. Friendly and inviting!

Door County itself is a joy with a new town to discover every few miles as you travel north on the peninsula. Definitely try Cooper's Corner in Fish Creek for a perfect outdoor lunch or dinner setting. It's fairly new, with a spectacular dining "porch", great menu and serving the microbrew from Shipwrecked Micro Brewery in Egg Harbor....we never ate at Shipwrecked, but sure enjoyed their Cherry Wheat Ale!! One more tip: If you don't want to wait for a table at the iconic Al Johnson's in Sister Bay, go to the next town north and eat at an old joint, there forever, The Viking in Ellison Bay. Delicious Swedish pancakes in a diner that time forgot, and our friend said their corned beef hash was the best he had ever eaten.

Please use this information with care. Now that you know the best little secret in Door County, keep it to yourself and a few friends. I still wish to return often and not see that dreaded NO VACANCY sign at Egg Harbor Lodge.

Room Tip: Pretty quiet no matter where your room is located!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank travelbugs5
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Egg Harbor Lodge over Memorial Day weekend. I would absolutely recommend staying there if you plan to visit Door County. It is located just northeast of downtown Egg Harbor, about a mile from the center of the town and three miles southwest of Fish Creek.

It was very easy to reserve the room we wanted at a great price. I'm not sure how long the promotion runs (or when, or if it ever stops) but we reserved three nights for the price of two (on Memorial Day weekend!) so our total came in at just about $250 for three nights.

We arrived late on the first night to find our key in an envelope in a box outside the office. Nice not to have to go through the check-in rigamarole at 10:00 at night. The room itself was comfortable. It's not the Ritz, but it was nice. The king bed was comfortable and clean (as was the rest of the room). The table by the window was perfectly situated to enjoy the view once the sun came out the next morning. There were a few imperfections in the room - some paint cracking in the bathroom, a little rust on some door hinges (am I picky?), and I think we let in an ant or two - but absolutely nothing to get in the way of a positive recommendation.

Egg Harbor Lodge is not situated directly on Green Bay but is positioned about a mile away on top of a hill, giving you an expansive view of the bay itself. Chairs, the pool, and the hot tub are all positioned to give you a perfect view of the evening sunset. Unfortunately, clouds obscured our sunset each night but I'd imagine it's quite the sight.

Mark and Sarah were both very kind. Not intrusive, but very friendly and willing to offer recommendations and tips for travelers unfamiliar with the area. The fact that Egg Harbor Lodge is adults only was just the icing on the cake.

If you're going to Door County, you might as well stay at Egg Harbor Lodge. Where else can you get a comfortable room, a beautiful view, and a great price?

Room Tip: All rooms have a water view. We were on the bottom floor and ours was unobstructed.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 10 in Fish Creek
Country House Resort
Country House Resort
#1 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to Egg Harbor Lodge? Share your experiences!