“Fun stay for the Kids...and Adults too!”
Review of Metropolis Resort

Metropolis Resort
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Eau Claire
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
“Fun stay for the Kids...and Adults too!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This would be my second stay at Metropolis but the first time I really experienced anything this hotel had to offer. My husband and 4 kids and I all stayed in one double queen room. The room was very quiet, we had our own balcony that overlooked the highway and front parking lot. It was very nice. The decor and feel of the hotel felt updated and clean. Staying at the hotel gets you complimentary passes to Chaos waterpark. Although it is nothing like Kalahari or the Dells, the kids still really enjoyed it. I feel like the waterpark is aimed more for the kids than the adults. We also got passes to Action City (for $25 per person, it's supposedly cheaper because we also stayed at the hotel) which has an arcade area with all kinds of fun games: mini bowling, laser tag, bumper cars, go-karts, outside mini golf and maze, in addition to all the usual arcade games. The kids absolutely loved it. We had just gone to Chuck E. Cheeses the day before and the kids thought Action City was sooo much better. There are games there that you can play for free or for cash. All the tickets that you win are electronic, meaning it goes on a card similar to that of a debit/credit card and you can redeem them later for prizes. They also had very cool prizes, not some cheap crap like at Chuck E. Cheeses. Overall, a very fun stay for the kids and my husband and I. We will probably come back some other time and hopefully the hotel will still be this good, if not better! By the way, the service people were very nice and friendly, always with a smile on their faces.

Room Tip: If you are on the 3rd floor, you get a balcony.
1 Thank Noudles27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The rooms here are awesome, so modern and sleek. The waterpark is decent, there are 3 slides, an obstacle course with ropes, lazy river, area for small children with smaller slides, and hot tub. My kids (5 and 8) enjoyed it. Action City is a typical arcade where you can play video games or games for tickets. The prizes seemed pretty good as far as arcades go, the kids got full size candy bars instead of cheap plastic toys that some other places have. Action City also has cool attractions though, like mini golf, a maze, and go karts for older kids and adults, as well as mini bowling and bumper cars. There is a pizza place and a Dairy Queen right on the resort, as well as a pub area that serves food. We tried the pizza, and it was pretty good. Overall, I thought that the price wasn't bad, and we got waterpark passes included with our stay.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a balcony, it was the same price as regular rooms.
Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here once not too long ago. I have noticed some improvements since that visit.

For one - the door to the water park. It used to SLAM whenever people went through it (which was every minute). This time they've done something to it so it's quiet. Again our room was located right by the water park, but this time we didn't hear the door!

Breakfast - it is now served in a bigger area then where it was last time, and there is actually enough room for people. And they made sure everything stayed stocked up this time, unlike the last. (I will say though, that it was still very messy. Food all over the floor, spills, etc.)

The room - it was cleaner this time. The last time our room had so much dust floating around I was up all night (asthma). This time around (and maybe it was just luck) the room was good.

I will say this - the staff hasn't changed. All very helpful and very friendly.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This review is challenging to write- this place is definitely not a luxurious resort and waterpark, but it is not "bottom of the barrel" either. It would not be somewhere that I would consider traveling to specifically for a vacation, or a planned family outing. Rather, I view it as a good place to stop when traveling offering your kids a break from traveling with the perks of a waterpark.We checked in on a whim, after driving about 8 hours with our 4 and 8 year old. The price offered online was comparable to many other local hotel hotels that offered less amenities. We found our room to be clean, in good repair, and the décor is aimed at being trendy. It still had an odd feeling that it was a lower quality hotel, trying to boost its image with surface décor and furniture. We thought they were aiming to model the resort feel of a lodge or resort, although it seems they have tried to be the "it" venue. They advertise for weddings, receptions, kids birthday parties, etc.....they seem to want to do it all.

Perks- My kids enjoyed the s'mores by the fire in the outer area of the pool, and they enjoyed the movie (Rapunzel) the hotel offered at 9:00 on their in-room programing. The room had a large tv, mini fridge, cute balcony, and microwave. Our room faced the highway- my husband said he heard semi's through the night. I did not.

I was hoping to find a hotel amenities booklet so that I could refer to when events were being offered. No such book was in our room- perhaps it was in others.

The hotel and waterpark were well-staffed- lifeguards were wearing red shirts and carrying life preservers...another reviewer mentioned that guards were not noted as so. On our visit, they were.

Staff all seemed very young- high schoolers and college students. Manager was in the hall with employees- chatting sweetly and encouraging them in their jobs.

Breakfast was our biggest disappointment. After winding your way into the other portion of the hotel, you quickly get the feeling that you are headed into a cafeteria-like setting. My husband even commented that he felt like it was reminiscent of his high school basketball camp.....banquet tables shoved together with a food free-for-all. We were surprised, and a bit turned off that the yogurt was served in a large cylinder plastic tub, with a pump in it to dispense the yogurt. Just seemed a bit tacky....and the tub was plunked on a serving tray, with no ice. I asked the breakfast staff about the lack of ice/refrigeration, and she said they use it fast enough they don't worry about it. Funny, I watched.....and no one helped themselves to it during our mealtime. I felt it-it was warm....ugh :( The tablecloths reminded me of a vintage hamburger joint- oilcloth, felt-backed newspaper print designed fabric that didn't feel (nor look) clean. The plates and cups were plastic platters- very similar to those I had just used with my son at a boy scout camp. The cereal was blatantly generic- dispensers were powdery and odd looking. My kids liked the monkey bread, a novelty at this breakfast.

We wished we had time to visit "Action City". Our kids eyes were gleaming as they saw the multitudes of activities available. We studied the pricing- wow...be ready to drop some $$!

Overall, we would definitely go again for the hotel stay and waterpark. It isn't of the likes of Kalahari or Great Wolf, so as long as you aren't expecting that...it is a nice refuge on a long trip!

Room Tip: Request opposite highway if noise disturbs your sleep!
Reviewed August 5, 2013

What a great and reasonably priced resort! It was so clean and modern. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. You don't have to leave the resort because it has everything you need but there is plenty to do in the area as well! My boyfriend and I had a great weekend and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Flowermama11
De Pere, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was traveling with my wife, my 17 yr old son and our 2 year old son. The staff was friendly. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The grey paint was chipped in several locations however throughout the room. Otherwise the actual hotel stay was completely fine. However, if you came for the water park you would be extremely disappointed. Our family was really looking forward to this. The water in the deeper parts was of a green/brown hue - to the point that our family did not use it. The toddler area had several areas where rust was coming through the paint along the edges and the paint was worn off of their concrete dolphins/boat-slide structures they had in this area. I was surprised that the structures were made of concrete which is not kid / injury friendly. It was also evident by the burning sensation in your eyes as soon as you walk into the water park area (let alone getting into the water) that their belief was that chlorine would take care of the cleanliness of the pool. I was also astonished by the lack of life guards / hotel personnel around the pool area. I did not see one staff member near the toddler area the entire time we were down there - about 2 hours. Remarkably there were several toddlers without supervision in the area. The staff also did not wear any uniform of any type, so it was hard to distinguish who was a staff life guard & who was not unless they had a whistle - not a good situation if you needed help. The lighting in the waterpark area was extremely poor. The area where the breakfast was held also needed cleaning & updating - looked very worn and run down.

Room Tip: Bottom line, the waterpark was abismal so it's not worth paying the extra money to go there for...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We are VERY picky and rarely write reviews, but felt this place did such a good job it was required to write one!
Our stay was a last minute decision on our way home from a Vacation in another state. We do not live very far from this hotel but had not stayed there . We arrived exhausted and stressed after driving 16 hours . The check in was effortless and the staff were amazing. We did not encounter one staff person anywhere at the hotel, water-park, Action City or any of the food places that was anything other than friendly helpful and enthusiastic. They all seemed really happy to be working there and happy to have you staying there. They are genuinely concerned that your stay is going well and will quickly correct any issues you may have during your stay. The public areas are kept clean and we loved the attention to environmental causes and being more eco friendly.
I wish more hotels did that. We would recommend this hotel as a good value and a great time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family