“What's less than a "Terrible" rating?”
Review of Metropolis Resort

Metropolis Resort
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Eau Claire
Stillwater, Minnesota
“What's less than a "Terrible" rating?”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have never written a review, but I felt it necessary after the recent stay my family had at Metropolis on 2/1-2/2.

We stayed at Metropolis on 2/1-2/2 for my daughter's birthday. We did not expect any special treatment, in fact I did not even notify the staff that we were there for a special event. We chose Metropolis because it was a convenient location with lots of amenities for a diverse group - my husband and I brought our 3 children (13, 10 and 3) and another 10 year old friend. Our daughter celebrating her birthday has special needs and it appeared that we would be able to find an assortment of activities that she could participate in and enjoy.

The stay started off well enough. Booking was easy and the person at the front desk at check in was very friendly. That was the last positive experience I had.

After checking in, we went to our room and I was disappointed in the cleanliness of the room. I am by no means a germ-ophobe, but this room's appearance genuinely bothered me. There was dust in the less conspicuous places on tables, shelves etc (as if the cleaning staff had not moved things to clean but rather had wiped around things), there was a lot of water spotting on the sink surfaces, and the grossest of all - a dirty washcloth on the floor of the bathroom, under the vanity behind the trash can. It looked like a very sloppy job of house keeping, to say the least. My "mom instincts" and flu aversion kicked in and I started wiping down surfaces so that my kids wouldn't touch something that hadn't been cleaned (I just kicked the washcloth further under the vanity.. that was even too gross for me to handle). Later, I thought about it and resented the fact that a guest should never need to do this cleaning.

Next, we went directly to the Pub for dinner. The restaurant was not busy (several open tables) but the service was exceedingly slow. This was a Friday night, which I would expect to be a busier night for Metropolis, so I was surprised that the restaurant did not appear to be adequately staffed. We were left alone for extended periods of time, our drinks were never refilled, and we had to wait a very long time to get our bill when our meal was complete. As you can imagine, the kids were very anxious to get going to all of the 'fun stuff' at the resort and it was disappointing for dinner to take so long.

Upon completion of our meal, we went to the pool which was SO COLD! It was uncomfortable for everyone and none of our group enjoyed swimming very much because we were shivering. My 3 year old had to be removed from the pool and wrapped in towels repeatedly because his lips were literally turning blue.

We finished swimming for the night and retired to our room. We settled in and were awoken by the fire alarms at 3am. Now, I am actually understanding of this situation... these things happen, and I appreciated the fact that the evacuation was handled swiftly and safely. Once in the lobby, we were quickly advised that it was a false alarm and advised to return to our room, but here's where I have an issue: the fire alarm continued to scream for 45 more minutes. I cannot understand how this was the case after we were advised that there was no danger and we were allowed to return to our room. How is it possible that the alarm could not be disabled/silenced?

When we returned to our room, I went to tuck kids back into their beds and was totally shocked and disgusted to see a large blood stain (approximately 1.5 x 3 inches) on the bottom sheet of my son's bed. The stain was near the foot of the bed and he is small (3 years old) so it was not in an area that he had come into contact with (I hope), but you can imagine how a parent would feel to find this. It was obvious that the sheets had not been washed and I spent the rest of the night thinking about what else might be on the sheets (as if there could be anything grosser than someone else's blood).

In the morning, we stumbled to breakfast, exhausted from an interrupted night of sleep. The breakfast, moved to a different location due to the night's events, was inadequate in every way. There was not nearly enough food or seating for the guests in the hotel. We eventually found a seat but left unsatisfied because the food was not coming fast enough and the lines were extremely long as a result. We watched as the buffet staff spooned food from one tray to another (sloooowwwwwwllly) rather than replace an empty tray with a full one and other examples of inefficient service. I was willing to be understanding given the past night's situation, but it was clear that the staff was not going to do anything to improve the day for a room full of very tired, increasingly disgruntled guests.

We received a note from the manager under our door explaining the nights events and I'll be perfectly honest, I was shocked that there was no offer of some kind of compensation or discount as a way to amend the experience of the night before. The note also stated that he would be in the lobby during checkout to discuss any concerns and I thought it may be a time and place to share our experience - especially the bloody sheets which I am still trying to shake from my mind. At the appointed time, I went to the front desk was completely astounded to find a very large group (30+ adults and their children) checking INTO the hotel at the same time. It was impossible to even enter the lobby due to the jam up, nevermind trying to find a staff person to speak too. I have never, ever seen a hotel allow a large group to check in at the same time as check out. We left the keys in the room and left.

I wish I could say this is just an unfortunate set of circumstances but it is hard for me to believe that we were just that unlucky. If any one of these things (minus the dirty sheets) had happened, I would consider it an anomaly and figure that 'these things just happen', but the series of mishaps tells me that we were more than unlucky. I am writing simply because I believe this is beyond what I consider 'just a bad day'. We paid what I consider to be a lot of money for what turned out to be a truly terrible experience. Additionally, and more importantly, this was supposed to be a fun celebration but we are instead disappointed and disenfranchised and I can never give that experience that we were expecting back to my kids.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank mommyofmany
funneverends, General Manager at Metropolis Resort, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Metropolis Resort to celebrate your daughter’s birthday and I greatly appreciate your feedback following your stay with us. I agree that the Metropolis Resort is the ideal location for a family that would enjoy activities such as go karts, bumper cars, water slides, a lazy river and even a Dairy Queen treat! We are very proud of our ranking on Tripadvisor, which bases our ranking on and service, value and experience. In your case, it seems we failed to meet your expectations and adequately address your concerns during your stay.

It is rare to have a complaint about bed sheets as every room is completely stripped of all linen and made up with fresh clean linens. We have a dedicated housekeeping team that takes pride in cleanliness and details by thoroughly inspecting every room. I apologize for that and I can assure you that we will continue to inspect every single guest room. We are committed to ensuring that future guests do not have the same experience.

The fire alarm went off as a result of extreme cold weather causing a pipe to break. I understand how frustrating that can be in the middle of the night. Without question, every guest should not only be asked how their stay was at the end of their visit but several times during their stay. We had a large bus of guests getting off a bus at checkout time. I understand how the timing was not ideal, but the guests were able to exit the bus in a quick and efficient manner without causing too much of a disruption.

I am glad that you and I were able to communicate about this earlier this week and rectify the situation. I understand that you will be staying with us again. I look forward to your next stay at the Metropolis Resort. If you or any TripAdvisor member has any questions or if I may be of service in any way, please feel free to contact me at sara@metropolisresort.com.

Best,
Sara Abbott
Resort General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Nice place for a quick family get away. Plenty of activities for kids of all ages from the water park to the game area. The rooms and staff were very nice. We went from Saturday to Monday - this was a perfect way to avoid it being crowded.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Amery, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Our family has come to the Metropolis for 4 years now to celebrate Christmas. The staff are always so accommodating and helpful. Thank you Felicia, Brittany, and Amanda. Kristen for helping us coordinate our stay. Will for taking the time and showing us the suite and whirlpool room. You have a great future in hospitality.

I would like to see more games offered on the unlimited fun pass at Action City.
The hot tub at Chaos Waterpark needs some maintenance on the tile surrounding it.

We will be coming back again for our family Christmas.

Room Tip: Some rooms on the 3rd floor have a balcony. The rooms on the south side were quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Everything was great for our weekend getaway. The whirlpool suites were beautiful. We will definitely be coming back. We traveled with a large group and the resort had something for everyone. The service was excellent and the staff were very attentive.

• Stayed November 2012
Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We've been to other hotels in Eau Claire, and for the cost, this is the hotel we prefer. The whirlpool suite is great and the price is just as good. It's attached to Action City which gave us a chance to swing by the pool (which was not busy at all) and enjoy the slides and hot tub. Although the kids weren't with us, we still spent some time in Action City at the batting cages and go karts. The bar inside the hotel was a good place to hang out and the food is okay. Hotel is just about 10 minutes from Water Street downtown. A great place to meet up with friends or family and spend the weekend. The next time we come back, we'll bring the kids.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed in a spa room. Gas fireplace, spa, modern look- pretty impressive. The water park doesn't compare to a Wisconsin Dells but it has a lazy river, large hot tub, 2 large slides, and kid play area.

The hotel expanded the bar recently which was a good surprise from the last time we stayed.

When we had adult only time, we still hit up the lazer tag and go karts. Was nice because it was pretty cold outside.

I did tell the manager that they needed curtain that would block out the light better in the room. He said they were going to start switching to better curtains and the hotel had just replaced the beds.

Breakfast included good eggs, cinnamon bread, cereal, potatoes, fruit and bread products. I wish they had a waffle maker.

Room Tip: If you can get a spa room, it was nice and romantic.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed November 23, 2012

This was our second stay there, first since the renovation. We stayed in the whirlpool suite, which was very nice. The breakfast was alright,can't complain for being included with the price of the resort. Bed was extremely comfortable. Only complaint was that the water slides weren't open. Other than that, nice place for a short family get away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends