“Nice but Overpriced”
Review of Metropolis Resort

Metropolis Resort
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Eau Claire
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our third stay in four years, and we love the hotel, but I am giving it an average rating because the room rates have risen so much, and yet they STILL charge for their small waterpark. If the waterpark was an amenity for guests, then I would have rated the hotel higher. It costs $10 per day for the waterpark, and even if you are a parent who isn't swimming but want to watch your children, you must pay a $5 "dry" fee. This is ridiculous to me, and I find it incredibly cheap of the hotel--particularly when rates have increased dramatically. (A Friday night for a standard room was $124 compared to $89 last year at the same time of year.) We paid out a handsome price for unlimited wristbands at Action City instead. We thought the breakfast was great. The kids particularly liked the Monkey Bread. This may be our last stay at Metropolis. Instead, we'll get a much better deal (it is Eau Claire afterall) and just go to Action City separately.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the non-Interstate side!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
funneverends, General Manager at Metropolis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear vanclaners,
Thank you so much for the review. From what I gather, you seem to love us but want a deal? Well, I think we can help you with that. We offer deals through various resources such as our brand new website, Facebook, our Email Newsletters and the occasional Groupon. Most of these packages include waterpark and some even include Action City. They have a little bit higher price than just a room rental, but when you add in what you pay for it at each ticket gate, you save a bunch of money, especially in the offseasons. In fact, we are currently offering a deal where you get 8 attractions, 2 days of waterpark and your room for 119.00 We'd love to have you back for a fourth stay the next time you're in Eau Claire, so please feel free to call or email either myself or Sara to help you find the best rate.

Benny Anderson
P.S. On a side note, the Monkey Bread was a new experiment created by Rosalie, our breakfast lady. She'll be ecstatic to hear you all loved it.

There are newer reviews for Metropolis Resort

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Close to the highway, so if you are on the front side of the hotel you get all the highway noise. Very noisy rattling air conditioning unit. Ours did not turn off. We had a miserable night. Fortunately they did change us to another better room for the same price. This room also had a noisy clunky air conditioning unit, but at least we could turn this one off. One day the room was not cleaned at all. Then the next day we asked for housekeeping in the morning, for towels, etc. They had not come by lunch time. I called again and they stated it would be before 4p. I called at almost 5pm and they finally came to clean the room. They however did not empty the trash. I called the front desk. They said they would send someone up. They never did. 2 hours later, after coming back from dinner, I had to walk the trash down to the front desk to get it emptied and new bags. In summary, we might come to the waterpark for the day, but would never stay at this hotel again, nor recommend it.

2  Thank lucy b
funneverends, General Manager at Metropolis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you very much for both staying with us and writing such a helpful review. I am very sorry your stay was so poor. Many of the issues you had should never have happened in the first place.

First, I will be working without housekeeping department to ensure rooms are cleaned in a timely manner. Second, I will work with our Chief Engineer to ensure another guest does not have an issue with the air conditioning. Both situations are unacceptable and will be immediately concentrated upon.

Most importantly we are very sorry your special weekend was ruined. If you ever stay in Eau Claire again please let me know so that I can ensure your stay meets our own expectations. Again thank you for your review.

Sara Abbott
Resort General Manager

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was our 2nd visit in two years but will be last, only cuz repeating same vacation is not as fun. Nothing in facility changed since first visit. Fine cuz great family getaway regardless. Wonderful facility as before. When driving up it doesn't look appealing, but you have to go in to see how great it becomes. Bought the hotel,action city,chaos package. Got 4 action city cards which are good for day activated only so only activated 2 per day so could use 2 cards the next day. Check out is 11, but can still use facility on check out day. So actually if work it right, you can have 2 full days of water park and arcade areas. You can even start using facility prior to getting into your room day of arrival if in early. They did not offer the food credit this time, instead gave arcade credit, didn't like that as much. We ate elsewhere instead. Resort has all you need on site so no need to leave, we just opted to. On site pizza shop, DQ, and adult lounge/barfood. Was slightly disappointed in lack of souvenir tshirts/sweatshirts, so went home without, lost effort on resort part. They have it designed to have to win tickets to get stuff, ripoff as arcades all are. We didnt fall for it, would have rather just bought kids something and would have, but no options. This time our sleep was poor, had back side of hotel last visit. Automated room temp kept kicking on/off all night and sensor made a distinct click each time in use. Very annoying, even my 9 yr old complained about it. Room was in front side of resort and heard traffic all night, so not much sleep had. Facility is clean, top notch bath towels, granite vanities. Love the decor throughout facility. Room had new tv,hair dryer,micro,fridge,small bar table. Free bath lotion is horrendous, rose hips scent-way too fragrant for family use, could not even use on kids after pool. Surprised by this hotel choice as everything else is good quality, well thought out. Very Highly recommend this to families age 6-13. Great overall value when considering price per activity elsewhere. Clean throughout. Su

Room Tip: Choose room opposite of freeway, backside of resort to avoid evening traffic noise. View will be of...
1  Thank 2lucky1
funneverends, General Manager at Metropolis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for your honest review of the Metropolis Resort. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed your stay! I take your comments to heart and appreciate you taking your time to share them with us.

Thank you for your business!
Sara Abbott
Resort General Manager

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Liked the resort. I appreciated the resorts green efforts with the eoom ket the powers the room when inserted in the wall mount fixture. Room was very nice. Room was cheap ($68 a night Thursday- Sunday via hotels.com). The free breakfast was sad. The gravey for the bisket and gravy had no consitency over the three days we stayed there. They advertised waffles for Sunday brunch, but did not deliver on it. Breakfast aside it was a nice place near trails, parks, 15 minutes from downtown, and right off of i-94.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank crazye98
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Room was exactly like the pictures on the website. I stayed in the king size bed w/whirlpool and fireplace. Very, very clean. Extremely friendly staff. Very knowledgeable and helpful. I would (and already did) recommend this to friends and family, as an excellent place to stay!

Room Tip: Very quiet place to stay. Room was on 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Brenda B
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed one night at metropolis resort for a family night of fun in the locker room suite! We had a group of 20 of us and the room work perfect for us all to stay together, Seeing that it has 10 queen size beds!
In our group we had children as little as 6months up to our 80 year old grandma.....and there was something fun and entertaining for everyone!!! :)
The staff was very friendly, our huge room was perfect, the rides and games top our expectations, the water park was a blast, and the food was reasonably priced and yummy!
We 100% would recommend this resort to everyone and look forward to returning again in December.
Thank you metropolis for an unforgettable weekend! <3

The Drew, Emmons, Hammers, Muzik, and Kluver Families!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank 23lemmons
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Metropolis somewhat by accident. We booked a hotel on Hotwire and this is the one it ended up being. We were looking for a quite place to spend the night on our way up to Canada. All in all it was a very nice hotel, just not what we had in mind for our trip.

The location is a bit odd. It's right off the high way and there didn't seem to be much around it. It was easy to find, so that was nice. If you were staying here for the water park and fun-resort aspect of it I imagine it would be great. But if you're looking to be more in town or closer to other restaurants and attractions it's a little isolated.

The rooms and hotel itself were very nice. They large, clean and well decorated. There was a cute little kitchen area with a mini fridge for storing your own stuff. Beds were comfy and bathroom was well stocked with all the necessities. The lobby and the rest of the hotel were clean as well. Breakfast was average but then I've never really had a free hotel breakfast that was anything more than the usual muffins, scrambled eggs, toast, etc.

The thing I didn't care for was that there were TONS of kids. I have no problems with kids in general and it totally makes sense that there would be lots of young children at a water park hotel. However, large numbers of excited children don't exactly make for a peaceful and laid back atmosphere. As I said, we were looking for a quite place to sleep, get breakfast and get on the road and this just wasn't it. If you have young children who like water parks or you don't mind a bit more noise and excitement this would be an excellent place for you. But I wouldn't recommend it for adults or couples looking for a quieter place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple