“We actually saw wild eagles at Wild Eagle Lodge”
Review of Wild Eagle Lodge

Wild Eagle Lodge
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Eagle River
Greenville, Ohio
“We actually saw wild eagles at Wild Eagle Lodge”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

On a whim, my wife, Donna, said, "Let's take a vacation in Wisconsin!" I thought she was crazy! WISCONSIN! SERIOUSLY? Since it was her idea, we, of course, went - To Wild Eagle Lodge in Eagle River. Turns out SHE was right and I was wrong!

We LOVED this place! The lodges look rustic but the interiors are new and clean. We were in unit 101, which is the bottom left unit in the far left lodge if looking at them from Duck Lake. Our view was through so nice pine trees to the lake and I was always reminded of "On Golden Pond" every time a loon cried out!

We had a slight mishap within an hour of our arrival. The units have a nice gas fireplace to throw some romantic heat into the room and I fired it up as it was about 62 degrees when we arrived. I never even thought about the exhaust but, fortunately, I decided to walk to the lake to look at our dock (each renter gets dock space). Walking back to the unit, I noticed a huge flame on the deck of the unit. A robin had built a nest on the exhaust and this caught fire. I knocked it down and put out the fire. (Do not blame housekeeping as a robin can build a nest in an hour or so.) Be sure to check before starting your fireplace.

I met the man upstairs and it turned out he was on the board of directors. He is a very sweet man that we enjoyed talking with frequently. That brings us to the staff. ALL were very nice and quite helpful but I must say that one stood out for us - Amelia! We lost WiFi for a while and when I called, she immediately came to the room and checked. When she saw she had also lost WiFi in the room she took us to look at another room that did have it. We chose to stay where we were and they had it fixed the next day. All week long, she always put herself out to be of great service. I give the entire staff an "A" but she gets an "A+".

While there is plenty to do year round in Eagle River, do try to bring or rent a boat. The chains of lakes are wonderful and we spent an entire day just cruising around, looking at some of the stunning homes on the water.

All the units at Wild Eagle Lodge have full kitchens and, cooking utensils, and dinnerware. The only thing you will absolutely WANT to bring is plenty of BUG SPRAY. You are in the north woods and the mosquitoes here have no fear of daylight. I suggest light colored clothes and not walking in the woods at night.

Will we go back? ABSOLUTELY!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room as far away from the restaurant area as you can. They often have weddings and othe...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gregory_ellis
Tammy S, Director of Sales at Wild Eagle Lodge, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
We are so glad that you and your wife chose Wild Eagle Lodge for your vacation. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone.

We apologize for the mishap with the bird's nest. The bird's seem to really like to make their nests on the exhaust. We try to watch this closely but unfortunately that one created her nest rather quickly I expect. We thank you for your understanding.

We are glad that you were able to see an Eagle soaring by. They truly are magnificent birds and it is such a treasure to see one in it's natural environment.

We look forward to having you as our guests again for a future stay. Thank you again for the review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Roselle, Illinois
Reviewed June 18, 2014

First time visit and will come back to that place again.The lake is wonderful. Beautiful views from all units! The resort has a nice walking trail around the property and lots of docks for your boats. There is a very nice restaurant, the Blue Heron, on the property. Its best to make a reservation for that, since it can get crowded. The pool is clean and very nice. There are tennis and basketball courts on the property.

Overall I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Tammy S, General Manager at Wild Eagle Lodge, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please feel free to visit our website and check out what events are taking place in the Eagle River area. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
McHenry, Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We come up to Eagle River every year and we always choose this place! It is very modern yet still retains the north woods charm. The property is extremely well maintained and the staff is friendly for the most part. The condo we stay in is always perfectly spotless and modern (we stay in a different one every year, so consistency is great here!) It comes with quite a lot of amenities such as a modern full kitchen, three bedrooms, and two fantastic bedrooms as well as a great room. There are also similar one and two bedroom condos. The lake is wonderful. Beautiful views from all units! The resort has a nice walking trail around the property and lots of docks for your boats. There is a very nice restaurant, the Blue Heron, on the property. Its best to make a reservation for that, since it can get crowded. The pool is clean and very nice. There are tennis and basketball courts on the property. The only thing I don't like is there are no laundry facilities in the resort. Overall, I love this resort and honestly, I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Try to get a condo on the bottom floor. They have better access to the lake. Try to get a condo on D...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jake D
Tammy S, Director of Sales at Wild Eagle Lodge, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings about our resort. We are honored that you choose Wild Eagle Lodge and the Blue Heron Restaurant for your yearly getaway. As you stated, we currently do not have laundry facilities located on our property. However, we are considering adding a laundry facility on our property within the next five years. There are a lot of factors involved and obstacles to over come, but we hope to add this amenity in the near future for our guests. Once again, thank you for your feedback and recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Shorewood, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We have traveled a fair amount over the years for hockey tournaments in WI and our best hotel ever was the Wild Eagle Lodge. Our family of five enjoyed two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a kitchen that is nicer than ours at home. My son slept on a pull-out couch in the living room in front of the gas fireplace. When we weren't at the hockey arena, we borrowed board games and movies from the front desk... a really nice touch! We had one team dinner in the restaurant and it was just OK... that was the only downside. The kitchen is fully loaded with coffeemaker, pans, etc. All very nice and clean. None of us wanted to leave at the end of the weekend. We will absolutely be back again, perhaps in summer when I am sure the property is just lovely. P.S. We ever saw a real eagle during the day, no kidding!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Tammy S, Director of Sales at Wild Eagle Lodge, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review. We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had the privilege of seeing a beautiful eagle. They truly are magnificent birds to watch. Please give us a call to check availability for your summer vacation as we are filling up fast. We also will look forward to having you as our guests again next hockey tournament season. Thanks again for your feedback.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Spent the weekend at Wild Eagle. Very nice accommodations near the main trails and close to Trackside rentals. The kitchen was well equipped with major appliances and a coffee maker. The 3BDR had two comfortable king beds and 2 singles.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
We are so happy that you had enjoyed your stay with us and had a good time on the snowmobile trails. We thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Berkeley, Illinois
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have been going to Wild Eagle Lodge for a number of years, and find many things about the property that I like. It has been our go to place in the Northwoods, but the times they are a changing, and not for the better. The location is still ideal and the condos well maintained and beautifully furnished, but the treatment of the guests and the feeling of having your very own little vacation place on the lake is diminishing with each visit.

After a few trips last year, our final visit was not great, which we shared with the person checking us out. She informed us that a new owner had just taken over and was dedicated to making everything better. One of the things we complained about back then was that the swimming pool was rented out to local residents, who seemed to think they owned the place, and therefore the pool and sauna were really crowded for lodge guests. I am not sure, but I believe this is still the practice, which is too bad, because I really loved going into the steam room and relaxing each day.

This fall we decided to give them one more chance, and were very sorry we did. When I made the reservations I specifically said that we would like a quiet room when we stayed there. The woman making the reservations said there would be a wedding, but that the music and event would be over by 10PM. I said that would be okay, but again asked for a room away from the noise. On our last night there, when we were getting up at 5AM (as many fishermen and other travelers do) for a long trip home, the music blasted away until midnight on the dot. When I called the front desk, the woman said it was her first wedding and she didn't know how long it would last. At 10PM there were maybe five or six people left, and the music still blasted. It went on until midnight exactly. I don't believe that Wild Eagle didn't have the start and stop time included in the contract, I believe they don't care if the guests don't like it.

I feel Wild Eagle has to decide if it wants to be a resort or a wedding venue. If they want to rent condos to vacationers, they should allow those people to sleep and wake at their leisure while they are on vacation. They sell themselves as having a restaurant on site, but they closed it to resort guests for two of the three days we were there to accommodate the wedding party. The afternoon of the wedding every available pier on the beach was taken over for pictures by the wedding party for more than an hour. It is a lovely place for a wedding, but it takes a lot away from guests coming there for a private vacation. I have no idea if the restaurant is any good, because we couldn't eat there. If they want to do both, they should offer steep discounts to resort guests for any nights they are inconvenienced by the party groups taking over.

When I complained the night the music was blaring (and our room was right in line with the tent they throw the weddings in) the employee gave me the owner's number and said she was sure he would want to talk to me. I called the number, he did not answer, and has not contacted me since our stay. I purposefully waited a few weeks to make sure I would not hear from him and that I could give a fair review.

Our first few years of staying here were simply wonderful. We would always buy a few potted flowering plants for the condo to make it feel truly like home, and walked the property and used the steam room and had massages and just loved the place. Over the years, the attention to detail is not what it used to be, the employees seem to be using the place as their own party place, and little is done to help anyone who is not happy with their stay. I doubt we will stay here in the future because it has been a little less of a vacation every time we go there, and a little less of a feeling that they care if you come back. It's one of the things we love about the area, there are so many beautiful lakes and beautiful resorts.....might as well stay at one that appreciates your visit.

Room Tip: We like the bottom units because they have adorable terraces to sit and enjoy the lake. Units on Du...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Lorie T
Tammy S, General Manager at Wild Eagle Lodge, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
We very much appreciate comments, including constructive criticism, from our guests. We must know what problems we are having or we won't be able to fix them. We always encourage our guests to report any problems or issues they may be having on the resort immediately so that we can rectify them expeditiously. Our concept is that we are in the happiness business. We want and expect to exceed our guest expectations. If our guests have not had a wonderful, happy experience in staying with us then we feel we have failed. We have weekly senior staff meetings to discuss any problems that occurred the previous week, and correct those problems. Lori's comments will be at the top of the agenda at our next meeting.

The Wild Eagle Lodge is under new ownership and management. We have made many positive changes and improvements to the property. We have purchased 6 brand new pontoon boats, two brand new Lunker fishing boats, new swimming raft and beach furniture, new siding on the lodge home buildings, upgraded condo furniture and carpeting where needed, opened a new on-site restaurant – the Blue Heron Supper Club and Lounge, and more. We are continuously making plans for future improvements to enhance our guest’s comfort and enjoyment. We never forget that our guest’s comfort and satisfaction drives our success.

Thank you for the comments Lori. We hope you reconsider and come back to stay with us again as we continue to improve. Curt Bradley, General Manager
Baraboo, Wisconsin, Usa
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Just want to say we visited with groupon purchase. Loved this place. We were then midweek and had an awesome time. Loved all the facilities and would recommend to others and plan on returning. Love all the extras as the firepits. The resturant onsite had very delicious food and something for everyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sherry M
Tammy S, Director of Sales at Wild Eagle Lodge, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you Sherry for your review and positive comments regarding our resort and restaurant. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your Anniversary stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eagle River
The Pointe Hotel & Suites
Super 8 Eagle River
Super 8 Eagle River
#7 of 12 in Eagle River

Been to Wild Eagle Lodge? Share your experiences!