“Pricey, but worth it”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Minocqua, WI
“Pricey, but worth it”
Reviewed September 14, 2009

As a local businesswoman, I support local businesses and look forward to experiencing different restaurants in the area. Although pricey, I knew riverstone was upscale and wanted to take my mother out for a dinner. I had my eye on the salmon which was very pricey at $28, but the portion was worth it. I received a large 10oz piece along with fresh veggies and wild rice. I would pay the price again. The salad and soup is ala cart which at first I thought was odd, but they do offer a mixture of homemade breads and that along with the meal, I felt was filling enough. I would go back, but because of price, only for special occasions.

new berlin, wi
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Used to be great, wonder what happened”
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Had a great dinner at this establishment in August of 2008. I could hardly wait to get back there again this July. What a disappointment. I ordered the the same food I had ordered the previous year, Veal Wellington, but this time it arrived drenched in a brown gravy, the puff pastry was not done and was very doughy. When we talked to the hostess whom we believed to be the owner we were told they brought this food in and there was nothing they could do. I guess we do not need to go back there again.

1 Thank merrill020
West Allis, WI
“Wonderful Surprise!”
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I was extremely suprised by the great quality of food that Riverstone presented. We found them in a local guide we picked up at our hotel. They had an extremely extensive wine list....with selections for every budget. I had a steak, and my husband had the fish fry....prices ranged from $8 - $35 for a meal. My meal would have fit in at any of the higher end restaurants in the Milwaukee area that we've eaten at. My husband said his fish fry was wonderful. The great thing about this place was it was fairly casual. People were coming in wearing jean and shorts, and some were wearing slightly dressier clothes. Both fit this place. Waitstaff was friendly, and the little touches were great. At the end of the meal when we were presented with our bill, our server gave us a little dish of chocolates made to look like riverstones. It was a great restaurant and we have already recommended it to our friends who go up to the area on a regular basis.

2 Thank ffachick2525
Northern Wisconsin
“What happened???”
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We have eaten at Riverstone several times for both dinner and brunch. The last two times we noticed a definite difference in both the kitchen and the wait staff. The hostess chose to seat us at the far end of the restaurant even though my husband is obviously handicapped and there were closer tables for two.
For the second time, the wait staff was condesending and borderline rude. We ordered fried chicken, which was overdone and dry and the lamb special, which was not cooked as requested.
The summer squash was over cooked and tasteless, as were the steamed potatoes. It would appear that the focus is on the wine cellar rather than food and service. We won't be back.

1 Thank Northwoodsresident
St. John, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Riverstone" not all it should be”
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Riverstone may have a great wine selection and fresh in house Artisian baked breads but they lack the basics in restaurant. We asked the Hostess when being seated if there was any specials and we where told only the menu items. When in fact after odering and the food was being prepared that the specials where in the front of the extensive wine list and they wouldn't cancell and change an order because it was alread being cooked. When served their cheddar cheese soup it was barley body temperature and then trying to get the server attention was impossible; three servers where conversing in the corner by thy bar and thought currecnt events was more important than the customers satisfactoin. I had the prime rib and shrimp and found the prime rib to be OK and the shrimp was just average.
Please make note not to stand in the foyer front entrance or waiting area to be seated; you may get bumped into by the Sous chefs running up and down the stairs constantly to the food storage area in the basement. Although I didn't have any of the dessert the freinds that did have them said they were excellent.

1 Thank JBready