“Not worth the price”

Best Western Dodgeville Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dodgeville
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We had the opprtunity to stay at Best Western for a State baseball tournament. The cost is outrageous for the amentities that have. No elevators, have to take stairs with all of your belongings, 1 ice machine and vending machine on the first floor and when we asked if we could possibly have a late checkout due to not knowing if we would need to stay or not we were told one time that we needed to ask the housekeepers, 2nd time we heard absolutely not and 3rd time the wonderful evening front desk clerk (She was the nicest one) actually looked and stated there were 3 rooms left but they do not offer late checkout. We stay at a lot of hotels throughtout baseball season not including hotels for personal trips and I don't think our family will stay at a Best Western again. The prices are just outrageous and are from worthy of that price Best Western you are not a Hilton, if you want to charge fees like one than you should really do some upgrading of your hotels and nicer staff. As stated the Evening front desk lady on Saturday 7-19-14 and the Breakfast employee were the only 2 sociable and respectful employees.

Room Tip: The cheapest one you can get, if that is possible.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank queensoppe

Reviewed July 15, 2014

My tightly-knit family of five spanning three generations traveled on a rare excursion outside of our respective homes for a three-day sort of mini-vacation to Wisconsin to see The House on the Rock as well as Wright's magnum opus Taliesin, in which my architecturally-inclined [pun intended] cousin was interested. Of course, during this adventure, we needed a place to lay our pretty heads during the nighttime. So, naturally, we picked the highest-rated hotel in the dinky little country town[?] of Dodgeville; Best Western Quiet House.

First things first-- the fact that it is the highest-acclaimed inn in the town means little. It's the difference between a C grade hotel and a D. Naturally you pick the C, but you'd rather stow away somewhere nicer than that. Immediately upon entry, you are greeted by an unnecessary amount of imagery involving ducks; statues, paintings, even the glass table near some couches is held up by four giant ducks. Whaaaat the...

I don't know. Just clean up the duck situation, for the love of Christ.

It's getting to be a long review. I'll shorten things a little for you.

Lots of questionable white stains on nearly every bed piece. Unprepared and dishonest staffers. Nasty pool water, broken exercise equipment. Bad breakfast. Dirty bathrooms.

The issue is, there really aren't better options. We dined at Barn 23 down the road, which is connected to the nearby hotel Don Q Inn; we naturally took a peek inside, and we were astonished by the nastiness in there. We went back to the Quiet House that night appreciating the amenities, albeit not great.

Pick your poison. And no, I'm not talking about the pool water.

Luke B.
Chicago, IL

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Luke B
Reviewed July 12, 2014

the hotel was very clean and our room had a lot of space. the pool was located both indoors and out which was very nice when the weather changed. the breakfast was so-so, but understandable because there was no kitchen on site. staff was very friendly and there was a bike trail nearby. house on the rock was only a short drive from hotel, but other than that, there was not much to do in town. good place to stay if you want to relax or have to catch up on some homework or want to read.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Doug H, General Manager at Best Western Dodgeville Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Thank you for your review and comments. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel last night and came across a problem we never encountered before, even though we've traveled quite extensively. This was not a problem with our accommodations, which were OK. Our issue had to do with booking and pricing.

My wife booked this Best Western after looking at a quite a few options. We qualify for both AAA and AARP and got an attractive rate of about $85.00 including tax for a good size suite. When we checked in, we were asked how many people were staying in the room and we said the two of us. My wife had booked it for one person, forgetting to indicate there would be two of us. (NEVER been a problem before!) We were told that we no longer would qualify for our original rate and that the "correct" rate for the two of us was to be about $145.00. Over $60.00 more because the room would have a second person in it. Apparently, as a couple, we would not qualify for their "corporate" or "business" rate, even though they don't list corporate or company rates or discounts. Sorry folks, never heard such nonsense before.

I talked with the manager on site who tried to explain Best Western's corporate philosophy and he did the best he could. But frankly, their convoluted pricing logic is bizarre and serves their potential non-business customers very badly. Very poor business strategy, in my opinion. Their pricing policy is certainly not as transparent for the customer as it should be.

In fairness to the manager, he did adjust our price to one comparable to another couple we were traveling with. By that time, we had shifted to a less expensive standard room, which I suppose made the adjustment more reasonable for him and Best Western.

So would I recommend this hotel? Maybe. However, book your reservation with your eyes open if you're traveling as a couple or family, as the rate difference is stunning versus the one-person rate. At least that was our unfortunate experience.

Room Tip: This hotel does not have an elevator. If that's an issue for you, be sure to book a first floor...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I made my reservation somewhat tentatively after reading a couple mediocre reviews. However, I found this property to be very adequate--about what I would expect of a Best Western in central Wisconsin.

Lobby is decent, rooms were clean, cable and Internet worked fine. My only critique would be the breakfast room, which was small and featured very simple continental fare.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank OnTheRoadAgain1954
Doug H, General Manager at Best Western Dodgeville Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Thank you for your review and comments. Because we do not have a restaurant on the premises, we are limited by the Wisconsin Department of Health to what we can present for breakfast. They do allow us to have the hot eggs, pancakes, and sausages because they are not prepared "in-house." Also, the local bakery delivers fresh pastries 3 to 4 times a week. Thanks again. We do appreciate your business.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

The amenities and caliber of the room itself didn't live up to the amount we paid to stay here. Just 2 nights in this hotel ended up costing us over $300, which was due to the overpriced nature of the hotel and the taxes which ended up tacking on over $50 more to the price. We paid A LOT for simple convenience and proximity to the family we were visiting and more than likely WILL NOT stay here again. Staff wasn't overly friendly either and when we asked about the additional fees at check out, the guy behind the desk could have cared less.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank Griffin L
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I never give a hotel a bad review I always try to find something positive but this hotel I couldn't '

We had made a last minute decision to go to Dubuque, IA with a overnight stop in Dodgeville should of kept going. I knew the price's were going to be high for the holiday weekend but not that high I also received a $25 discount from Best Western and a special rate that they would not offer but after a little complaining and mentioning that it did not say any where on the disclaimer except that it had to be used by June 15th then they honored it. After checking in I ask to see the bill and it still was not taken off after going thru everything again they said it would be fixed by morning NOT I talk with the manager got it all straighten out was not worth the trouble and the hotel is the not the greatest. With Governor Dodge state park and house on the Rock and all of the other attractions you would think they would keep this hotel in very nice condition
When we open the curtains the shade had a big stain right in the middle of if and the toiletries were open and half used nice maid service. The hotel is supposed to be smoke free but the hallways smelled of smoked real bade. I personally will not be back at this hotel I have stayed at many Best Westerns and this has to be the worst one ever.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else like supper 8
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jm3534
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodgeville
Don Q Inn
#3 of 6 in Spring Green
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
#1 of 1 in Barneveld

Been to Best Western Dodgeville Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!