“Grandma enjoyed 70th birthday with grandchildren”
Review of Don Q Inn

Don Q Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Dodgeville
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I chose the Don Q Inn from Trip Adviser. Check in time is 3 so we met outside and left to tour the House on the Rock, which was close by. The reservation went well & staff was terrific. We were given 2 very large rooms with 2 queen size beds and a small fee for a roll a way bed in the "men's" bedroom. My sister remembered driving by when she was a child and yes, its old, but totally unique and clean. The beds were Serta and comfortable. Our tour took too long and we had no problem changing our reservations at the restaurant which you get too by going through a tunnel. Restaurant parking lot was full and two weddings were going on, and they gave us a nice table for in the corner so we could hear each other and visit. Eight of us had a wonderful meal for only $100. The waitress brought me a lighted cheesecake pie and they all sang Happy Birthday. My 9 year old grandson ate all his food, which was generous and surprising. The tunnel is old and smells and they put a few skulls in there, but it beat parking but if your allergic don't take it. We swam in the pool until it closed at 11 pm., The pool is small, it is not deep so safe for children and you can swim to a small outside pool, but since there were only 2 families using it we had so much fun. And the hot tub is right there. If it were adults wanting to use it, they may not be happy. We found the games in the morning and played several of them, all non electric and really takes you back. Check out time is 11 am but they let us sit and visit with grand kids. Now the airplane out in front was a huge hit and they loved going into it. All the games appealed to them. Oh, the breakfast was free and included everything from fresh juice and fruit, cereal, rolls to good coffee. The coffee maker and refrigerator in the rooms were nice as we put our "night treats" in there.
I never looked at the couples rooms upstairs though they offered a tour. I would stay there any time because from the staff to the restaurant, pool and breakfast and a good night's sleep, it was great. If you use the pool, bring your own beach towels, I never asked but the room towels are not big enough.

Room Tip: It was a Sat. and we all slept well and we had groundfloor rooms. Everything was excellent
Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank grannyohdear

Reviewed July 6, 2011

I was a bit nervous selecting this hotel based on how much lower their price was than the others in the area. When I arrived, I asked the front desk clerk if I could go check out the room before I made a decision to stay. She did not miss a beat and told me "absolutely, feel free". Being a frequent traveler I am prone to base my accommodations based on price, you get what you pay for. In this case that is not true. This hotel was very clean and the staff was top notch. My whole family enjoyed the pool. The hot tub was crystal clear. The decor is hard to explain. It is not shiny and fancy, it is more like a throwback to the 70's look. Very unique, very intriguing. I loved the change. The free game room upstairs was a pleasant surprise. I didn't have to constantly shell out quarters and the kids had a blast. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone that wants to step back a bit, slow down and just relax.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank ProudAmerican64
Reviewed June 19, 2011

This is a total throwback to the 70's! We were going to House on the Rock, which is minutes away from the hotel. It wasn't busy at all at the hotel, many people probably would opt for an upadted hotel and spend more money for it too. This place was like having it to ourselves, our kids got to swim all alone in the large indoor/outdoor pool. The lobby area has some games, barber chairs surrounding a huge fireplace, old dental chair, old optical chair. We did go thru the tunnel to the adjoining restaurant (Sam & Maddies) which was cool to do.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Love2Ctheworld1117
Reviewed May 29, 2011

stayed in caesars court dirty burns in rug missing screens on windows loose moldins on walls smell of must in room then to top it all off was charged for smokin in room when i clearly did not but the said they smelled smoke think there tring to get smoe extra money to help fix the place up never again would not recommend to someone i didnt like stay away

Room Tip: different establishment
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank sm522mar
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We loved this place! After learning our other hotel closed their pool, we booked this hotel last-minute. We arrived late and tired only to discover this hotel treasure. Rooms (and I mean all of them, even the non-suites) are quaint and generally themed to the 70's/80's in a way that made us smile the minute we entered our room. Individual heating made our room toasty. We explored the hotel to discover pool, air hockey, a fire place (the clerk will light it for you if its not burning) and even a wood cribbage table! Our only regret was that we were only staying one night.

The clerk was particularly pleasant. She offered us more towels, directions to the 'underground' told us about the restaurant next door, and was overall a perfect receptionist.

We slept soundly, enjoyed the breakfast, and had a excellent experience. The best part is that this hotel isn't just for couples - kids would love it here! Its perfect. We've already planned a summer trip back to this area and WILL be returning! In fact, we're planning to stay more than a few nights to really take advantage of the year-round pool and game activities!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cumulonimbus
Reviewed February 23, 2011

The Don Q is the most unique experience I've ever had the pleasure of having....and I grew up in New Orleans!! My husband and I stayed in the Casino Royal room. It was very clean. Yes, as some of the other reviews stated this is not a modern facility. That was part of the charm!!! The wood work is beautiful. The decor in the lobby is "old west". The rooms are very quiet. We wouldn't have known there were any other guests in the hotel if we hadn't have seen them in the lobby. There were families with children enjoying the pool area. We walked through the tunnel to the restaurant. There were lots of locals at "Sam and Maddies". I think that says a lot about a hotel restaurant. If the locals go there it's probably good. The bar area was fun. The food was good as well was the service. I can't wait to go back and stay in some of the other theme rooms. We had such a nice time. I can't think of anyone who would not enjoy or benefit from a weekend get away like this one.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank saintdisney
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I recently stayed at the Don Q. Inn in the Cave Fantasuite, and it was awesome! The room was clean and very unique. The staff was friendly and It was a very relaxed "homey" environment. Perfect for a couples getaway. The pool was large indoor/outdoor and heated, and we were delightfully surprised it had a pool table. The attached restaurant had good food and very reasonably priced. We only stayed for one night, and I wish we could have stayed longer. We are already planning another visit in May. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is open minded and adventurous. My only advice to any female, is bring your own hair conditioner.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ambergsx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodgeville
Best Western Dodgeville Inn & Suites
#2 of 3 in Mineral Point
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
#1 of 1 in Barneveld

Been to Don Q Inn? Share your experiences!