The House on the Rock Inn
Super 8 Dodgeville(Dodgeville)(Great Value!)
$60
Don Q Inn(Dodgeville)(Great Value!)
$65
TripAdvisor
$90
QualityInn
$85
Round Barn Lodge(Spring Green)
$103
$120
Spring Valley Inn(Spring Green)
TripAdvisor
Spring Green Motel(Spring Green)
All reviewsoutdoor poolbagelspackage dealgift shophot tubyoung kidsroom suitelocal restaurantsdouble queenkid poolspring breakbooked this hotelsofa sleeperfridge and microwavewhole familymain roomtickets
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We headed up to Wisconsin to check out the House on the Rock, and stayed at the House on the Rock Inn for two nights in July. The Inn is about 15 minutes away from the main attraction. We arrived to find an attractive exterior, and a nice, large interior lobby. The parking lot was nearly empty, and check-in was a breeze. We were given our package House on the Rock tickets upon check-in (which we used with no problems the following day). Although we were there before the official check-in time, our room was ready. The room was okay, nothing special, no view, but clean. No refrigerator, no ironing board (but I did borrow a mini ironing board & iron from the main desk). Our room held two queen beds for our family of 2 adults, 2 kids (ages 9 & 12). The kids were disappointed with the small selection of cable channels, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room.

The pool area is huge, with a kid pool housing a big submarine, a main indoor pool, outdoor pool, and jacuzzi. Towels were available in the pool area. The indoor pool was perfectly warm. We spent time there in the evenings, and never faced a crowd.

The included continental breakfast is okay: donuts, muffins, cereal, bread, juice, and coffee. My kids were happy with the selection, but a bowl of fruit would have been a welcome addition. The staff in charge of the area replenished any items which got low, and opened an additional room for seating when the main room filled up.

Other than a day touring House on the Rock (interesting), we spent a full day at Governor Dodge State park just 5 minutes up the road - hiking, fishing, and swimming (the park has a nice little sand beach). The people around town were very friendly, a shop owner even lent us an extra fishing pole for the day.

Overall, a nice hotel, nice getaway.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank Mom-trip-planner
Reviewed July 22, 2007

My husband and I decided to get away and always wanted to see the House on The Rock (HOTR) So one saturday we packed up and headed out with our 3 year old daughter in tow.

Made it the 3 hour journey and stopped at the main inn (didnt like the looks of the North lodge) keeping our fingers crossed we weary travelors trudged into the VERY clean,modern COZY check in area. YES, they had a room and a double queen suite!! The staff was VERY courteous!

We were on the pool level right across from the Continental Breakfast area. Let me say this, the room was VERY clean, VERY spacious and just lovely in everyway.

The room has 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa bathroom and an outter sink area more room than most of this type of room. Also had a table with 2 chairs and a balcony to sit out on.

The pool area was beautiful our daughter LOVED the submarine/
underwater themed area and made many little friends sliding down the 2 water slides. Water ranged from less than 6' to 1ft3 inches deep.
No real restaurant just a bar and grill BUT plenty of places both upper end and fast food nearby.

We had the HOTR tickets as part of our package so I feel a very reasonable price for what is involved.

We were concerned that being right across from the breakfast room we would be woken, NOPE didnt wake didnt even hear people coming and going and I was able to run right across the hall to get some MUCH needed coffee without running all around the hotel.

They also have a decent vending area with a microwave (has microwave popcorn) for a small price.

If you go be sure and stop at Schurmans wisconsin cheese country just a mile or so up the road when you turn out of the lodge. NICE proprietor, awesome cheese,and brats!! If youve never had wisc. cheese curds so fresh they squeak it is a must!!

So I must say on a whim to have ended up at a gem of an INN and have no bad experiences! Wow I and my family are VERY pleased. As to the actual HOTR um, all I can say is BIZARRE!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Tycarjen
Reviewed June 30, 2007

Our original reservations were for the North Lodge of the House of the Rock Inn, I was planning a trip away for my finances' birthday, and thought this would be a nice place to do so, when we got there the hotel itself looked as if it hasnt been updated in decades, then we took two steps into the room and walked right back out, the smell of mold/mildew and must was so strong and overbearing that there was no way that we were going to be able to stay there, not to mention that my finance is allergic to mold! Luckily, there was a room available at the actual Inn that they were able to give us (at a higher rate of course) but we had no choice! I am surprised that the House on the Rock has this hotel and uses its name to it !!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank melisa510
Reviewed March 10, 2007

We stayed at this sister inn to the main House on the Rock lodge to save a few bucks, though it was still a little too pricey for the amenities provided. We went for the package deal including tickets to House on the Rock. The room was old and a little musty but not nearly as bad as rooms described by others. Got lucky, I guess. After a day touring House on the Rock, we enjoyed the pool at the main lodge, which is great for kids. The front desk had menus from all the local restaurants, so we were able to choose a Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet place which was pretty good and crowded with locals. Just down the road, on our way out of "Dodge," we stopped and enjoyed an hour-long trail ride on docile horses (we called and made reservations the night before).

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Marigat
Reviewed December 25, 2006

The hotel seemed like a great deal because it included tickets to the house on the rock. We stayed at the INN which is cheaper. It is also disgusting. We had a room in the older building, not the main lodge but the north lodge. It was very inconvienent because you have to check in at the main lodge and drive back and forth. We tried to upgrade our room to stay at the main lodge but they were reluctant to cut any deals. When we got to our room in the north lodge I did my room inspection as I do at every hotel. The things I found you would not believe. A substance on the blanket that looked like vomitt, and when I asked for new a new blanket it was like pulling teeth from the hillbilly at the front desk. When we decide to get new sheets she told us we would have to change them ourselves because the maids had already gone home for the day. I explained to her that we did not pay over $100 to change our own sheets. I asked for a new room with clean sheets. The lady said she had to contact the main lodge to see which rooms were clean. Meanwhile we went across the street to an excellent restaurant. We told our waitor how disappointed we were with our hotel and they said we weren't the first people to complain. They recommended seeing if the Don Q-Inn had any open rooms, which was attached to the restaurant by an underground tunnel. So we did, after dinner. They had rooms and they were happy to show them to me to make sure that I approved. We went back over to the House on the Rock Inn and asked for our new room. When we finally got our new room I did another inspection of the room. What I found in that room was even more unbelievable. There were bodily fluids on the chair that looked like semen, something on the wall by the bathroom that looked like urine, hair in the sheets, blood on the matress, and my favorite.. duct tape on the back of the curtains holding them together. I had the girl from the front desk come up to the room to see how disgusting the hotel room was. While waiting I took pictures of all of this, and I still have them as proof! The girl came in and when I showed her she was not even phased. We put our bags in the car and drove back to the main lodge. We demanded our money back immediately and told them we would rather sleep in the car. The lasy still did not want to upgrade us to stay at the main lodge and gave us our money back. We said we wanted to speak to the manager but of course the manager was conviently not there. We went over to the DON Q-Inn and got our room for much cheaper. Even if we bought our tickets for house on the rock seperate we still saved money. The guy at Don Q- Inn was so nice. He even kept the pool open for an extra hour so the kids could swim. I loved the Don Q- Inn hotel and wish I would ahve made my reservations there in the first place. Needless to say I wrote a complaint to the House on the Rock Inn along with my pictures of the disgusting room and never heard back. What a surprise! I was only asking for an apology since I could not get one while I was there. Not a single person working at the hotel apologized for the inconvience and disappointment. Steer clear of the house on the rock inn.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family