“original reservations were for the North Lodge....gross!!!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dodgeville
The House on the Rock Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Dodgeville
chicago, illinois
“original reservations were for the North Lodge....gross!!!!!”
Reviewed June 30, 2007

Our original reservations were for the North Lodge of the House of the Rock Inn, I was planning a trip away for my finances' birthday, and thought this would be a nice place to do so, when we got there the hotel itself looked as if it hasnt been updated in decades, then we took two steps into the room and walked right back out, the smell of mold/mildew and must was so strong and overbearing that there was no way that we were going to be able to stay there, not to mention that my finance is allergic to mold! Luckily, there was a room available at the actual Inn that they were able to give us (at a higher rate of course) but we had no choice! I am surprised that the House on the Rock has this hotel and uses its name to it !!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank melisa510

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Wisconsin
Reviewed March 10, 2007

We stayed at this sister inn to the main House on the Rock lodge to save a few bucks, though it was still a little too pricey for the amenities provided. We went for the package deal including tickets to House on the Rock. The room was old and a little musty but not nearly as bad as rooms described by others. Got lucky, I guess. After a day touring House on the Rock, we enjoyed the pool at the main lodge, which is great for kids. The front desk had menus from all the local restaurants, so we were able to choose a Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet place which was pretty good and crowded with locals. Just down the road, on our way out of "Dodge," we stopped and enjoyed an hour-long trail ride on docile horses (we called and made reservations the night before).

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Marigat
wisconsin
Reviewed December 25, 2006

The hotel seemed like a great deal because it included tickets to the house on the rock. We stayed at the INN which is cheaper. It is also disgusting. We had a room in the older building, not the main lodge but the north lodge. It was very inconvienent because you have to check in at the main lodge and drive back and forth. We tried to upgrade our room to stay at the main lodge but they were reluctant to cut any deals. When we got to our room in the north lodge I did my room inspection as I do at every hotel. The things I found you would not believe. A substance on the blanket that looked like vomitt, and when I asked for new a new blanket it was like pulling teeth from the hillbilly at the front desk. When we decide to get new sheets she told us we would have to change them ourselves because the maids had already gone home for the day. I explained to her that we did not pay over $100 to change our own sheets. I asked for a new room with clean sheets. The lady said she had to contact the main lodge to see which rooms were clean. Meanwhile we went across the street to an excellent restaurant. We told our waitor how disappointed we were with our hotel and they said we weren't the first people to complain. They recommended seeing if the Don Q-Inn had any open rooms, which was attached to the restaurant by an underground tunnel. So we did, after dinner. They had rooms and they were happy to show them to me to make sure that I approved. We went back over to the House on the Rock Inn and asked for our new room. When we finally got our new room I did another inspection of the room. What I found in that room was even more unbelievable. There were bodily fluids on the chair that looked like semen, something on the wall by the bathroom that looked like urine, hair in the sheets, blood on the matress, and my favorite.. duct tape on the back of the curtains holding them together. I had the girl from the front desk come up to the room to see how disgusting the hotel room was. While waiting I took pictures of all of this, and I still have them as proof! The girl came in and when I showed her she was not even phased. We put our bags in the car and drove back to the main lodge. We demanded our money back immediately and told them we would rather sleep in the car. The lasy still did not want to upgrade us to stay at the main lodge and gave us our money back. We said we wanted to speak to the manager but of course the manager was conviently not there. We went over to the DON Q-Inn and got our room for much cheaper. Even if we bought our tickets for house on the rock seperate we still saved money. The guy at Don Q- Inn was so nice. He even kept the pool open for an extra hour so the kids could swim. I loved the Don Q- Inn hotel and wish I would ahve made my reservations there in the first place. Needless to say I wrote a complaint to the House on the Rock Inn along with my pictures of the disgusting room and never heard back. What a surprise! I was only asking for an apology since I could not get one while I was there. Not a single person working at the hotel apologized for the inconvience and disappointment. Steer clear of the house on the rock inn.

• Liked — nothing!
  • Disliked — everything!
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank kittykatWisconsin

Travelers are raving about these Dodgeville hotels

MIchigan
Reviewed November 29, 2006

The pool was very fun for our family (we have a 4 year old). BUT, we were not in the main building. Instead in another hotel building that was not as new, not as nice, and a walk from the building with the pool. The room was ordinary for the price and the mildew on the shower curtain made me rather unhappy (especially for the price).

4 Thank ourtwobits
Iowa
Reviewed November 4, 2006

We were leery on staying here due to some of the past Trip Advisor clients comments ~ we should have went with our gut feeling and stayed somewhere else.

Some of the major disappoints included:
Quality of the hotel overall for the high price we paid. It is not worth the extra money.
Poor customer service from the front desk personnel (both day shift and night)
Uncleanliness of hotel room and hallways (old furniture, stained carpeting, dirty shower curtains, overall dingy smell in the hallways, etc.)
Lack of choice at the continental breakfast. We didn't even waste our time going down the 2nd morning. We went into town to a place called, Jimmy's. (GREAT food!!!).

Overall we were very disappointed with the hotel. Yes; the pool is nice, but we still won't be back. Next time we will be at the Don Q, Best Western or Super 8.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Everything but the Pool
4 Thank Ladyisred
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 22, 2006

When you walk through the doors you are greeted by a craftmans style cozy atmosphere with House on the Rock elements.

Wife & I had stayed across the road at the Don Q seven years ago when our oldest was 1, but this place had more to offer in the pool area for all three of the kids we have now.

The reservation portion of the website was down when I tried to make our reservation so I called the hotel 800 number direct and made it with them. No problem. Got the same Tour & Stay rate as was on the website. There were 6 of us, wife & I, three kids (8,5,3) and my grandma. We got a deluxe double queen room which means two queen beds and a sofa hide-a-bed. I priced the room and the tour tickets separately where our 3 yr old would be too young to pay admission to House on the Rock, but it was cheaper to get the hotel's Tour & Stay package and the 3yr old have a ticket.

We arrived later than I had hoped as I had promised the kids they could swim when we got there. To my surprise the pool area is open til 11pm Thank goodness!!
Check in was a breeze, they had our tour tickets ready, a map of the hotel with highlighted places. He offered info on pool times, breakfast location, etc. Checkout staff was just as pleasant.

The pool area is open 7am - 11pm and also has a game room. The decor is a submarine in a coral reef and the coral rises above you. There are pool towels available. The water on the starboard side of the sub is 6 inches deep perfect for real little ones. Now on the port side the water is 15 inches. This is where the two short water slides come out of the sub. We were there on an Oct weekend and it didn't seem crowded. The most kids I counted at once was Sat evening 13 of them playing around the sub and my three got plenty of sliding / playing in. There is a hot tub nestled in the coral and also a regular pool for the older crowd. In the summer they also have an outdoor pool.

The lobby has a grand fireplace and there is a second fireplace in the sitting area off the lobby that overlooks the pool area through glass windows. The bar / lounge area is the only place to smoke in the building. It also has a player piano going that can be heard throughout the lobby. The public restrooms in the lobby and lower level sport collections as in the House on the Rock -check them out. There is a gift shop that sells all shapes & sizes of swim suits, flip flops, swim diapers, goggles, etc. So don't worry if you forget any.

Room was clean and adaquate. Towels where large and thick. We were on the lower level. Building is like a walkout on one side so we had a ground level balcony. Our room had a sink in the bathroom and one in the vanity in the room. High ceilings. Hair dryer but no in room coffee maker.

At the vending area near our room there is a popcorn vending machine with a built in microwave. You buy a bag out of the machine and pop it right there. Kids loved that.

Now somehow the continental breakfast surprised me. Either I didn't see they had one in the research I did, or I had forgotten. Anyway its served for 2 hours. Its cereal, donuts, small muffins, bagels, toast, juice, & coffee. It is what it is.

Some noticables
Not a single piece of fruit at breakfast.
Some really sharp edges inside submarine.
No pad at bottom of slides. Our daughter got some good scrapes.
We seemed to see staff around quite frequently
If you stay at the North Lodge, it is not connected. Its about 200 yds on the other side of the neighboring restaurant.
For dinner time menus of local restaurants available at front desk.

Our Tour & Stay pkg worked out great and our stay was very nice. When going again to House on the Rock, we would definitly stay here.

• Liked — Kids pool area
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2006

We stayed at the HOTR Inn and took advantage of the "Tour and Stay" package, where your room includes tickets for 2 adults and 2 kids to the House on the Rock attraction. Our double queen room (in the main Inn, not the older north lodge) was small and not very clean. My 2 year old son found a pacifier on the floor by the bed that had been left behind by someone else - luckily, we stopped him before he put it in his mouth!

The pools looked nice, but were also not very clean. While we were sitting in the spa, a maintenance man walked up and sprayed chemicals right into the water, aiming in between people sitting there - they were so strong our eyes burned and we felt sick! Everyone was so shocked that they didn't say anything.

The main air conditioner unit was outside our room window and made a high pitched squealing noise off and on all night, keeping us up. When we told them about it in the morning, the manager said "that's too bad," with no apology and no offer to reduce our room rate.

The continental breakfast that was included from 7-9 offered few choices and was nearly empty by 8am - When another guest asked the attendent if they were going to put out more food, she said "sorry, you guys cleaned me out."

When we went to the House on the Rock attraction using our package tickets, they acted as if they had never seen the tickets before. After 4 different employees consulted with each other, they decided that they had to call "Jenny" before they would let us in. They could not reach her, and we had to stand in the entrance for 25 minutes before they decided to just let us in. We were made to feel like criminals. It was terrible. We will not stay there again and would not recommend this location

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — service, cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank joyce22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodgeville
Best Western Dodgeville Inn & Suites
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
#1 of 1 in Barneveld
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Mount Horeb

Been to The House on the Rock Inn? Share your experiences!