“Peaceful & fun.”

Governor Dodge State Park
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I love going to Governor Dodge State Park. Multiple hiking, bike & horse trails. Fishing & boating lakes. A waterfall. 2 beaches AND a separate "dog beach". There is a little bit for everyone here!

All reviews
"beautiful scenery"
"this past weekend"
"water activities"

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at a number of Wisconsin State Parks over the years. This park had jumped to the top of our list. From the talks, to the lakes, to the rock formations, and caves... This is a great park to visit.

Value? Heck yes! Governor Dodge State Park offers 2 lakes for swimming, boating, fishing as well as a boat rental service that you can't beat. They have row boats, canoes, and kayaks for rent on both lakes. All of the prices were incredible, however we chose to go with the 24 hour rental for $40 (and a refundable $5 deposit) which we were able to use a boat on both lakes. We also rented the boat at noon which have us till noon the next day. Allowing for equal use on both lakes, which was great.

I'm a fisherman, and although I'm told there are plenty of fish in both lakes, such add musky, walleye, bass, as well as an assortment of pan fish, I was only able to find 1 bass, but the kids loved pulling a number of blue gills on wax worms.

The camp sites were clean, they offered firewood till 10PM, and although quiet time stayed at 10, there was little ranger presence around the sites. But that we were doing anything that a ranger would frown upon, and all our neighbors were quiet anyways.

Only negative I can think of is... We always like to go out for a true Wisconsin walleye fish fry on Fridays when we camp. We asked around town for a good place and only got Country Kitchen as a response... We ended up going to a place called Bar 23, which was decent, but the did service was lack luster. It took over an hour and a half to get our food, and the hostess blamed it on them having an unexpected large party.

I highly suggest walking the trails. As well as wall some of the rock formations. There is a 2 mile tail which ends at a cave that is perfect for children (we have an 8 yr old and a 5 yr old) and it was perfect fire them.

Also beware! There are hundreds of bats at this campsite. But don't worry! They are busy eating the mosquitos which allow you to enjoy your time comfortably in the woods without swatting them away. Also make sure to never leave coolers of food or food bins outside. The raccoons are very resourceful and your marshmallows will be fine quicker than you can say marshmallows.

Also, watch out for the bunnies on the road... They are all around and we accidentally hit one that we couldn't avoid. There were a number of others that we saw hit as well in the park.

All in all this is a great place to camp. Plenty of activities and just a great all around experience. We will be coming back soon!

5  Thank Jamie B
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We just got back from a camping trip here. There was recently a tornado that swept through the area and some of the campsites and trails got hit. Our site was kind of sandy with small twigs everywhere and many of the trails were closed due to the risk of danger. There were still a few trails open and the ones we went through were just gorgeous. I would never fault the park for Mother Nature so I feel like there is no reason to complain.

We brought our dog and he just loved the park. There are 2 dog beaches and we only went to one of them. The trails were lovely and well kept (except along some of them there were huge droppings from horses). I think it should be a requirement for anyone on horseback to have their horse wearing a bun-bag to catch all the poop. I had to clean up after my pooch so the least they can do is have their horses wearing a bun bag. My dog even obliged himself in a few mouthfuls of horse poo.

The rangers were kind and we were not bothered once. We stayed at site 282 and it's a very large site. You could easily fit 4 large tents in but for us we only had one small tent and one large tent with plenty of extra room. Great spot and private along the back & right across from pit toilets.

I'll be looking forward to coming again and trying some of the other trails once they open up.

3  Thank Paint0350
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

This location is really awesome place to stay at this is my second time here in two years. Love the lake and pkenty of sites to choose from...just need to book early some sites are prime realestate for the camping world. It cost me 20 dollars for two days camping with family reserving a site non electric but they do have electeic sites too. The staff here is friendly and courteous.. they have maby activities to do on your stay or visit. Check it out and you will have a great time like we have had and that we are having tonight.

1  Thank Tim B