My family has been coming here since we were little kids. In fact, my parents met here almost 60 years ago. In recent years, we've been doing an annual September weekend. Last year when they closed, we were all upset by it. I do agree that the previous owners compromised the resort by turning it into a condotel. They got greedy in the real estate heyday. But the resort has always been a great place to go, it's really gotten better recently.
This past trip, Sept. 2011, was just fantastic. Even better than last year. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The indoor pool was great. Frontier prime rib buffet was really good. We like the fitness center. Excellent wifi coverage. The evening campfire by the lake was another highlight. It's a perfect way to wrap up a chilly fall night.
Our room was really nice. Beds are excellent! FYI they only rent in the remodeled buildings, so no more worry about old room vs. new room.
We rented a pontoon for a ride around the lake one afternoon. Delavan Lake is clear and beautiful. Rental went perfectly, and was the hit for the kids, despite the chill in the air. Marina prices are up a bit, but it's really a pro operation. I recommend it. they're adding boats next year, it's so popular. Many places, the boat rental is a fiasco. Not so here. They rent slips too. Next summer we're gonna come for vacation and bring our own boat.
Lots to do in the area, off the grounds. We avoided Lake Geneva, we're tired of it and it's too crowded. We went to the Delavan Scarecrow Festival, which was sorta fun. Very small-town-wisconson-ish. Bought a few things at the flea market.
We didn't play golf but it was packed on Saturday. I heard it's a great deal for the golf.
My only complaints are:
1) walls are thin enough that you can hear loud speech/noises next door.
2) no self-service laundry facilities. Surprising for a condotel.
3) weak/non-existent cell signal (maybe a blessing, but we needed the phones to reach each other around the hotel.
Cannot wait to go back. New owners are doing one heck of a job as far as I am concerned. I hope to God they do great. We're going this winter, too.
Last thought: I get nervous when a place sets so high a watermark. The expectations are now lofty, and it's easier to fall from grace than to reach it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lake Lawn Resort is nestled on over 250 wooded acres with 2 miles of shore line on beautiful Delavan Lake. Founded in 1878, Lake Lawn Resort has been one of Wisconsin's most popular destinations for both leisure and business travelers. With a rich history of traditional Wisconsin hospitality, Lake Lawn Resort provides a virtually endless array of fun and exciting activities. From cozy romantic getaways and full-fledged family outings to memory-making meetings and special events, Lake Lawn Resort offers something special for just about everyone. Making Lake Lawn Resort an even bigger temptation is its proximity to Chicago, Milwaukee, and other metropolitan cities, only twelve miles west of Lake Geneva. It is a big resort that has all the charm, comfort and attentive service of a small inn. It is truly the resort for all season and for every imaginable reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Lake Lawn Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Lawn Hotel Delavan
- Lake Lawn Delavan