All reviewsrain showerbody sprayhoneymoon suitespa tubkohler fixturesboutique hotelseparate showerlovely hotelrooms are hugeshower headroom servicerestaurant staffbed was very comfortablethe entire hotellumber innfitness centerdeerfield
Reviewed February 27, 2010

We booked the Romance Package. The staff were very friendly and professional. We celebrated my husband's birthday and had a great getaway from kids, jobs and just a busy life. The room was elegant and beautiful, the bed rich and comfortable and the bathroom amazing with the jet tub, rain shower and TV. There were robes and slippers to use, as well as an honor's bar which we didn't use, but the prices were more reasonable then other places we've stayed. (Coke was $1.00)
He cross country skied at nearby Lapham Peak to get ready for the Birkebeiner the next weekend. I, on the other hand, walked around the quaint town and had my nails done. We had a welcome wine and cheese platter and they were very accommodating when I requested a bottle of red. They added a few other touches, which were perfect.
We ate in the restaurant for dinner and had room service for an in room breakfast and the food was delicious. We also joined their "I Prefer" club before we went, which added a few other perks.
We were sorry to leave and return to the "real world."

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Huge room (suite), excellent location near beautiful park, museum quality antiques in public spaces of the hotel, perfect gym, most importantly - general feeling of luxury and good service. Free WiFi, unlike other expensive hotels, unforgettable bathroom with jacuzzi and "car wash" shower. We went for cross-country skying and couldn't find a better place. Generous breakfeast and fine restaurant for a dinner.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2010

It was our first time staying at the Delafield, and I was really looking forward to it based on previous reviews. Overall, it was a great stay and I' d highly recommend a visit if you're in the area, or as a weekend get-away. The bathrooms were wonderful, as advertised. Took full advantage of the chromotherapy tub after a day of X-country skiing -- wonderful! Comfy beds, complimentary cookies, all very nice. it was also very quiet and peaceful even in our second floor room, contrary to some of the other reviewers' experiences.

There were a few rough spots however. The reception desk gave us bad information about the hotel's own restaurant. They also didn't have our reservation correct, and then inadvertently tried to overcharge us when we checked out. Also, not to nitpick, but the "flat screen" TV in our room had a very poor picture, the remote didn't work properly, and the color was whacked out when using the DVD player.

So, again, overall I would recommend it, but with a couple of fairly minor caveats.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2009

My husband and I were looking to escape Chicago for the weekend and the Delafield Hotel was a perfect choice! Based on previous reviews, I specifically asked for a room that was away from the banquet hall (and our room was nice and quiet). I asked for the least expensive room, but noted that we would need space for our toddler. We were thus thrilled to discover that our regular room had a small alcove with a chair that opened into a bed. It was perfect for our son. The room was HUGE and the bathroom was gorgeous. Everything was clean and we enjoyed the complimentary cookies (left on our bed every night) and Aveda bath products. My husband was also impressed with the workout facility.Breakfast (not included) was very good but we opted have croissants/cheese/coffee at the nearby Italian grocery one morning. The front desk staff was very friendly to our son. As for things to do with a little one... we spent one day 'hiking' at Lapham Peak (one mile away) and another day at Old World Wisconsin (a scenic 25 minute drive away). Both were lots of fun and a easy to get to from the hotel. We also enjoyed the Wholly Cow Custard shop and Zin restaurant (both in downtown Delafield).

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2009

This was our second vist in two years. Overall, this is a lovely hotel, but we had some issues on this trip.

First the good:
The rooms are very nice...we stayed in an "Executive King" - it was very big and had a comfy bed. It had a wonderful bathroom, including a huge tub and a shower with multiple showerheads, nice bathproducts (Aveda) and two sinks (always good!). Robes in the room, slippers, too. The staff was generally very friendly. We also enjoyed sitting in the bar one night having a drink...very cozy.

The location is good...right in town.

Now, the not so good.
The first night we were there, we ordered a bottle of wine from room service and waited an hour for it to be delivered. When it was brought up, we were told that there was a VIP staying at the hotel that night, so things were crazy. A hour for a bottle of wine in a small hotel (any hotel) is really ridicuolous - and to be told that a more important guest was monopolizing the staff did not give us the warm and fuzzies.

The second issue (quite minor) was that they did not replace the bath products. We used the bath salts the first night and they never replace them. Ran out of shampoo the second night...it was also not replace. We asked at the front desk and they gave us more, but really, you shouldn't have to ask.

Finally...and this was the biggie (which another poster commented on previously), on our last night, we went to bed around 9:00 (we are early birds), but our room was on the 2nd floor and there was a very loud wedding below us making sleep impossible. We called to the front desk and were told that the wedding party would be over by midnight. Ugh. We pushed back and they did find another room for us on the 3rd floor. We were thankful that we could move, but it is quite a pain to pack everything up in the evening to change rooms. I personally think that the hotel could have done a bit more for this inconvenience (free breakfast the next day? a discount off the room?). I think the hotel thought they did enough because they put us in a better room...but from our perspective, we did not really get any value from the better room...we simply craweled into bed, slept for 8 hours, got up the next morning and left.

In the morning the staff indicated that they try not to rent the rooms out above the reception hall to indiviudals that are not part of the wedding party, but obviously, they don't always stick to this. We really felt that they should have disclosed this at booking...I supposed that if they had we wouldn't have booked, but on the other hand, this incident will probably keep us from coming back.

I am really torn on this hotel. I will tell you that I will not book again unless they can guarantee me a 3rd floor room. For those of you late night folks that don't get to bed before midnight, probably not a big deal, but for those of you like me and my husband who go to bed early, this may be a deal-breaker. It was REALLY loud in our room...we could hear every song the dj played.

I hope that this was helpful. I ultimately am checking that I would recommend this hotel, but again, it is with the caveat of taking a 2nd floor room.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple