“Perfect Weekend Getaway!”

The Delafield Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Delafield
Reviewed September 28, 2009

My husband and I were looking to escape Chicago for the weekend and the Delafield Hotel was a perfect choice! Based on previous reviews, I specifically asked for a room that was away from the banquet hall (and our room was nice and quiet). I asked for the least expensive room, but noted that we would need space for our toddler. We were thus thrilled to discover that our regular room had a small alcove with a chair that opened into a bed. It was perfect for our son. The room was HUGE and the bathroom was gorgeous. Everything was clean and we enjoyed the complimentary cookies (left on our bed every night) and Aveda bath products. My husband was also impressed with the workout facility.Breakfast (not included) was very good but we opted have croissants/cheese/coffee at the nearby Italian grocery one morning. The front desk staff was very friendly to our son. As for things to do with a little one... we spent one day 'hiking' at Lapham Peak (one mile away) and another day at Old World Wisconsin (a scenic 25 minute drive away). Both were lots of fun and a easy to get to from the hotel. We also enjoyed the Wholly Cow Custard shop and Zin restaurant (both in downtown Delafield).

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed August 6, 2009

This was our second vist in two years. Overall, this is a lovely hotel, but we had some issues on this trip.

First the good:
The rooms are very nice...we stayed in an "Executive King" - it was very big and had a comfy bed. It had a wonderful bathroom, including a huge tub and a shower with multiple showerheads, nice bathproducts (Aveda) and two sinks (always good!). Robes in the room, slippers, too. The staff was generally very friendly. We also enjoyed sitting in the bar one night having a drink...very cozy.

The location is good...right in town.

Now, the not so good.
The first night we were there, we ordered a bottle of wine from room service and waited an hour for it to be delivered. When it was brought up, we were told that there was a VIP staying at the hotel that night, so things were crazy. A hour for a bottle of wine in a small hotel (any hotel) is really ridicuolous - and to be told that a more important guest was monopolizing the staff did not give us the warm and fuzzies.

The second issue (quite minor) was that they did not replace the bath products. We used the bath salts the first night and they never replace them. Ran out of shampoo the second night...it was also not replace. We asked at the front desk and they gave us more, but really, you shouldn't have to ask.

Finally...and this was the biggie (which another poster commented on previously), on our last night, we went to bed around 9:00 (we are early birds), but our room was on the 2nd floor and there was a very loud wedding below us making sleep impossible. We called to the front desk and were told that the wedding party would be over by midnight. Ugh. We pushed back and they did find another room for us on the 3rd floor. We were thankful that we could move, but it is quite a pain to pack everything up in the evening to change rooms. I personally think that the hotel could have done a bit more for this inconvenience (free breakfast the next day? a discount off the room?). I think the hotel thought they did enough because they put us in a better room...but from our perspective, we did not really get any value from the better room...we simply craweled into bed, slept for 8 hours, got up the next morning and left.

In the morning the staff indicated that they try not to rent the rooms out above the reception hall to indiviudals that are not part of the wedding party, but obviously, they don't always stick to this. We really felt that they should have disclosed this at booking...I supposed that if they had we wouldn't have booked, but on the other hand, this incident will probably keep us from coming back.

I am really torn on this hotel. I will tell you that I will not book again unless they can guarantee me a 3rd floor room. For those of you late night folks that don't get to bed before midnight, probably not a big deal, but for those of you like me and my husband who go to bed early, this may be a deal-breaker. It was REALLY loud in our room...we could hear every song the dj played.

I hope that this was helpful. I ultimately am checking that I would recommend this hotel, but again, it is with the caveat of taking a 2nd floor room.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LT55
Reviewed March 17, 2009

It was sooo perfect that I hesitate to write a review in fear that others will find out about this hidden gem. We chose this hotel based upon other Tripadvisor reviews and the close proximity to Chicago (2 hour drive). Long story short, my husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary here. The hotel only has 38 rooms (I believe) and we chose an upgraded room of 600 sq. feet. Ample space/no real view. Not a problem because we wanted the feel of a getaway. If you can, choose the romance package which includes just about anything you could image. Room service was prompt and courtious. The bathroom was almost as large as our room with kohler fixtures. The presentation at the restaurant resembled that of some of the more pricer restaurants in a major city. Well worth every dime spent. You won't regret this hotel choice.
P.S. We never left the hotel except to go downstairs for dinner :)

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2009

On a rare occasion, my husband and I actually had a day off together. He didn't want to decide on anything, so I chose to make it a surprise date. In doing some online searches, I came across the Delafield Hotel. After looking at the photos and descriptions, it seemed to be just what I wanted. I booked a room as well as a dinner reservation at Andrew's. All I can say is, "Wow."

We were not disappointed! The common areas of the hotel are gorgeous, tastefully decorated, and not overdone. Staff was so friendly and helpful. The room was their most "basic". I can't think of the proper adjective to describe it. The furniture was all antique, and the bed was a huge sleigh bed. The bed was listed as a queen size, but it looked so much bigger. It was made up with the softest of cotton sheets and a down comforter.

The real jaw-dropper was the bathroom; it was HUGE. The bathroom was almost as big as the sleeping area of the room!! The shower was amazing. It had 3 adjustable nozzels that sprayed from the wall, a "rain shower" that came from the ceiling, and a hand-held adjustable sprayer. The actual size of the shower stall was the biggest I've seen in a hotel. I honestly think four people could comfortably stand in there together without touching each other! The whirlpool tub was amazing. It had "chromotherapy" lights which changed colors at brief intervals, which was very calming. The tub itself was easily big enough for the both us to relax comfortably. Also, the dual marble sink basins were a big plus as we were both getting ready! The provision of Aveda products was just a bonus.

We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and breakfast at Andrew's, but I'll address that in a another review. We are already planning our next getaway, and we can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2009

We live close by and just wanted a relaxing get away. We found it! My husband and I stayed here over Memorial day weekend. We dined at Andrews, the hotel restaurant and loved it as well. The most comfortable beds, think 'The Ritz', and extraordinary bathrooms. Great service and perfect location to walk around downtown Delafield, filled with quaint shops and Gagliano's a great italian deli. We are planning our next trip back.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2009

My husband and I were looking for a place to spend a romantic weekend. We are from the Milwaukee area and we wanted something close, but out of the city. I read reviews of hotels in Lake Geneva, Cedarburg, and Wisconsin Dells...very disappointing. I just stumbled upon the reviews for the Delafield Hotel. This hotel was by far the best!

We had wonderful service and a beautiful room. Everything was very new and clean. We took advantage of the fitness and wellness center next door to the hotel. From the towels, to the beautiful bathrooms ...It was perfect!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 18, 2009

This was our 2nd trip to the Delafield Hotel. It was perfect. The room was very luxurious, clean and comfortable. And, of course, the spa tub and shower were wonderful. It was very relaxing and I'm sure we'll do it again next year.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Delafield
Walker's Point
Iron Horse Hotel
Iron Horse Hotel
#3 of 56 in Milwaukee

Been to The Delafield Hotel? Share your experiences!