“Used to be Great - what happened??”

The Delafield Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Delafield
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have stayed at the Delafield many times over the years and loved it. During my visit in June, it was a very different experience - really shocking housekeeping - room was not serviced properly once out of the four nights. Dirty cups and glasses were left, coffee supplies not replaced, bins not emptied. On top of that the room was dirtier than usual (I had just stayed in February) - lamps dirty, underneath bed there was a couple of bottle tops from water bottles. It was so disappointing!
This hotel used to be my favourite and I looked forward to arriving there to stay. Rusty who works on the front desk is amazing and is so customer focused.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Stolimonster
PhilipL396, General Manager at The Delafield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Please allow me the opportunity to apologize for the seemingly lack of attention to detail you experienced. As a team we have examined the critical points of exceeding the guests expectations vs under performing and believe we have identified and corrected an internal issue/procedure. It is encouraging to think that your four previous week-long stays must have earned us enough credibility to have booked another week-long stay in September five days after this most recent visit. We appreciate the opportunity to again show you the level of outstanding hospitality The Delafield Hotel has long been known for.

The Delafield Hotel General Manager

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I booked this hotel for my wedding after seeing all of the great reviews. When I booked the room, I was told that our check-in time would be 3pm. I asked if we could check-in at noon instead so the bridal party could use the room to get ready and was told, "Sure, no problem". Three days before the wedding I called to confirm the reservation and asked again if we could come at noon so the bridal party could get ready in the room, and was told "Absolutely. We have a note about that on your reservation." Well, when I arrived a couple of hours before my wedding with my bridesmaids and photographer, we entered the lobby and there were no employees to be seen. I rang the bell at the desk several times but no one came out. I walked around and peaked into the bar and some of the surrounding hallways and still no hotel employees. Then the phone started ringing and a young blond woman came out and answered the phone and began chatting, completely ignoring us. When I tried to get her attention she shushed me and put her hand up in my face. A few minutes later an older man named Rusty came out and asked what I wanted. I told him I wanted to check in and he informed me I couldn't check in until 3pm. I told him that when I made the reservation I was told I could check in at noon. He told me I should have called to confirm, and when I informed him I had called and confirmed three days prior, he told me I should have called that morning to confirm because they can't guarantee early check-in times more then twenty-four hours in advance. I told him, "Then someone should have told me that when I made the reservation" and he asked who I had spoken to. I couldn't remember the name of the person who had made my reservation and he began to reprimand me for not writing down their name and told me from now on I'd better always write down the name of who I'm talking to. This entire conversation took place before he had even looked up my reservation. When Rusty finally did look up my reservation, he found that there was a note about us coming at noon and the room was ready for us. He never once apologized and actually said to me that I "lucked out" this time and that in the future I should learn how to make a reservation properly. I was fuming at this point but I was also two hours away from my wedding so I let it go and we all went to the room to get ready. The air conditioning wasn't working in the room, which we informed the front desk about and they told me that they would have it fixed by the time my groom and I returned after the wedding. Well, the air conditioning was never fixed, and in addition to that the controls on the whirlpool tub didn't work and neither did the coffee maker. We asked if we could be moved to another room and were told that was impossible because the hotel was completely booked for the night. I complained about the air conditioner, coffee maker and whirlpool tub not working when we checked out and was told, very snidely, that I probably didn't know how to use them. I will never stay here again. This is some of the worst customer service I have ever received in my life. The people who run this place need to look up the definition of "hospitality."

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Nora J
PhilipL396, General Manager at The Delafield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Please allow me first to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced here at The Delafield Hotel. We pride ourselves on the high level of hospitality our guests experience here at The Delafield Hotel noted in so many prior reviews and which was one of the determining factors you noted in making your decision to stay with us while having your wedding elsewhere. Unfortunately, there may have been a breakdown in our inter-department communication which created some difficulty at check-in for which we all are truly sorry. However unfortunate, your comments are appreciated and will be utilized in training so that our level of hospitality exceeds the expectations of our guests in the future.

The Delafield Hotel General Manager

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is classy hotel in a really nice area of Wisconsin. The rooms are huge & comfortable, great shower (I judge hotels on showers) & awesome tub with jets & lights. I was there on business but would definitely bring my wife back to this hotel. The bar & restaurant are also very nice. I would highly recommend this hotel if you're in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We recently traveled to visit with our son's in-laws who have a lake home in Wisconsin and they recommended the Delafield Hotel. We travel a great deal, but usually to large cites for both business and pleasure.

We had no idea what to expect except we were told that this is "the best in Delafield and probably for miles around." And even that does not say much for small town hotels...and from the moment we arrived until the moment we left, we loved this hotel.

The entire staff was genuinely welcoming and attentive. The room was very large, clean, attractively appointed and relaxed with a comfortable couch and amenities. The restaurant, Andrew's, was great with wonderfully fresh and well prepared food, rivaling a good bistro in the big city. Finally, the club "Be" next door is a state of the art and spacious workout facility, again with great staff who were very helpful!

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JDofWashingtonDC
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our first trip to Wisconsin. We loved staying at the Delafield. It is in a beautiful part of the country. We enjoyed a very good breakfast at the restaurant, sitting out on the verandah, enjoying the beautiful morning.
Our room and all the amenities were very, very nice.
We were a bit disappointed that there was no swimming pool.
Looking forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: The executive suite was very large, beautiful, & comfortable. The bathroom was also large: his...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I surprised my girlfriend for her birthday with a trip to this hotel from Chicago. The hotel was very easy to find and stands out in this small town. The service from everybody, from Rusty to Adam to Lauren was excellent. The room was awesome. My girlfriend instantly fell in love with the tub. The restaurant within the hotel, Andrew's, has an excellent Rack of Lamb and great drinks. The design of the hotel was vintaged with a lot of historical perks about it, which we loved. Overall, awesome hotel would definitely visit again....

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was our second time at Delafield Hotel. It's lovely, comfortable and easy. It's not too fussy; it's just right. On this stay, we spent time in the lounge. The entertainment was okay on Friday, Saturday night it was more up-tempo. The food was okay but seemed overpriced. In the room, The shower is great, it has rainshower, handheld and body spray. the big soaking tub is great, too. It's an easy walk to restaurants and SJNMA.

The staff is friendly and very accommodating. We were initially given a large room but it was dark and felt like a cave. We called the front desk and were promptly moved to a bright room. We'll be back again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Delafield
Walker's Point
The Iron Horse Hotel
The Iron Horse Hotel
#3 of 55 in Milwaukee

Been to The Delafield Hotel? Share your experiences!