“Good Dog hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Delafield
Delafield, WI, United States
“Good Dog hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

We needed to attend a wedding and had a new puppy. This hotel worked perfectly. Would definitely stay there again. Their weekday rates were great, but weekend rates were a bit spendy for this type hotel

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Green Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

This new Inn was modern, very nicely located, very clean and very reasonably priced. We'll stay again when travelling to Milwaukee. Check-in person gave us an excellent recommendation for dinner! There are a number of different eating locations within a few minutes of the hotel. We always appreciate a good breakfast included with our lodging.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Marshfield, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

Comfortable and well equipped room. Microwave and mini-fridge, flat screen TV, firm mattress was comfortable and room was clean. Hot tub well maintained. Breakfast was good though had limited hot items. Would definitely recommend this as a great value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Cedar Rapids, IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

The fabulous: The hotel has just been remodeled as of spring 2014 and it is VERY nice. Very European vibel but at a budget American price. At first, I raised eyebrows at the white coverlet with an accent stripe of black graphic swirls, but discovered it had a subtle finish to it that I expect will make it very stain resistant -- yet there's really no opportunity for a 'used' coverlet to be put back out for the next guest -- very reassuring! Nice, thick towels, refrigerator and microwave in each room, and very stylish colors and materials; especially loved the set of monochrome photographs enlarged and starkly framed, very classy. Oh, and LOVE the tiny charging station on the desk with 3 outlets and 2 USB charging ports -- there were also two outlets on the base of each of the 3 lamps in the room. And the light-blocking curtains really worked! The pet exercise area behind the hotel is neatly mowed and VERY large, with bag dispensers at every hotel exit. And we REALLY appreciated being given first-floor rooms near an exit to make taking the dogs in and out easy for us and unobtrusive for other guests.

The moderate: One in our party stayed in a king room; ours was a double. I don't know whether this is true of all king rooms, but the refrigerator and microwave were incorporated into counter-height cabinetry in that room. In ours, they were in a large tower cabinet whose door opened the opposite way of the refrigerator. This also took up a lot more room, so that a straight chair to provide extra seating in the double room was jammed into a corner next to the far bed. The toilet in our room stopped draining and when my husband approached the desk about it, the clerk cheerfully handed him a plunger and bucket, leading us to believe that this is a relatively common occurrence. Several reviewers have mentioned very firm mattresses; they are that. However, I believe they are also edge-reinforced... I'm not so sure they are firm as much as they are "built to last" for the hospitality industry, and I can see their point. I think that reinforced edge (imagine piping but with a stiff wire running through it) makes it extra hard to keep a fitted sheet on the mattress, too. The breakfast buffet is very modest -- the ubiquitous waffle maker, cereal dispensers, oatmeal packets, bread and bagels, packaged pastries, fruit juice, coffee and hot water, apples, oranges and bananas and hard-boiled eggs. I think the things people are missing are a breakfast meat and prepared eggs or egg casserole and something a little more 'special' for fruit, simply because so many other comparable chains offer those things. As is so often the case, the breakfast room is small and the buffet area becomes "full" with only 3-4 people. The room hvac is the usual under-window mount unit controlled by a thermostat. It works well but there is no way to turn the fan on to run continuously, which provides nice white noise to mask outside noise. You can turn on the bathroom fun but must have the light on, too, and even with the door closed, that light leaks around the door and is reflected in the mirror to light up the whole room. There are also significant gaps around the room door that allow light leakage into the room -- I put pillows along the door bottom and hung towels from the door hinges to block the hallway light.

Weaknesses: Other reviewers have mentioned rooms that smelled of cigarette smoke despite this being a recently remodeled, totally smoke-free facility. One room we reserved fit that description and a second room was pronounced better but still faintly smelling of smoke. We signed a fairly draconian "penalty for smoking in the room" policy with a substantial cleaning fee that would be imposed at check in -- are these rooms just routinely being trashed by smokers or are they not being deep-cleaned to remove the smell before re-renting? Reviewers have also mentioned thin walls and noisy upper floors. Our first night was fine - we did hear the party enter the room above us but I don't think the noise of other doors, or the people above us was any worse than at any other facility. However, the second night, we were awakened at 12:30 by loud voices outside the hotel, in the hallway, people pounding up the staircase, even loud feet in the upstairs hallway. After this went on for half an hour, we called the front desk only to be told "they're celebrating a wedding!" Best wishes to the newlyweds, but the fact is that nobody rents a $100+ a night hotel room and travels there from home if they don't have something they're planning to do the next day -- something that they've clearly already invested considerable time and money in planning. Wedding or sports team victory or whatever the heck, those people don't deserve to deprive the rest of us of our right to get a decent nights sleep. I think this is a really lovely hotel and we will plan to stay again but I'm afraid that it will quickly lose its luster if management won't enforce their own policies such as no smoking and respecting quiet hours when people are likely to be sleeping.

Room Tip: There are three floors of rooms in single rows; reception and elevators are in the center. Pool and...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MysteryPoodle
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Okay on first look this place is okay. Looks like they just freshly remodeled. Which is good if you are paying $100 per night in the middle of nowhere.

On the day of the wedding the front entrance broke, so people could not get in and out. We actually had a wedding to attend. The sliding door says, "in case of an emergency, push door". Well we pushed the door, but the rug that was in the entry way prevented the doors from pushing open. Shall I say major fire hazard?

Two of the staff tried fixing the door for a half hour, nothing. we ended up using the back exit by the dumpsters, which was fine, but what in a case of an emergency?

A number of people in the wedding party had problems with their key cards not working. There is sometimes no one up by the front desk, which makes it difficult to resolve this issue.

The same night heading back from the wedding at 11:30 pm my key cards (both) did not work. I went back to the front desk and she reset them. Went back upstairs, still did not work. I repeated this whole thing one more time. Still did not work. The third time I went back downstairs, the receptionist was checking people in who wanted to know about tourist attractions. She spent about 15 minutes of showing them various brochures on local attraction while I waited. She also was trying to talk these people into the La Quinta rewards program. So, she "fixed" my card again and also tried to talk me into the rewards program. Mind you this is at 12:00 am, after 2 attempts trying to get into my room unsuccessfully. I was not in the mood to talk about promotions. I guess my key card did work on the third re-set.

When I got back into the room it was clean, but smelled rather musty. The big, fancy flat screen TV only had one channel working. But after that whole fiasco with the key card, who cares. Right?

As far as breakfast goes, most of it is cereal and pastries. I ate a hard boiled egg and an orange. But ended up going out for a second proper breakfast a few hours later.

Aside from the nicely designed rehab, I would not recommend this place for a $100.
Call me a spoiled brat.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Anna B
Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

We've stayed here twice and haven't been disappointed yet. The rooms are clean and very nicely appointed. The first one we had was a king with a sleeper sofa; the second time we stayed we had a room with a king and a recliner. Comfortable beds, quiet and within easy walking distance to fast food, gourmet coffee, Wal-Mart and Target. The staff is very polite and the hotel's interior is spotless! There's also and indoor pool and spa.

The only complaint we have had was the first time we stayed there was a group of people throwing a children's birthday party a couple of doors down. Not the hotels fault because they didn't know about it. When the noise became unbearable my husband complained and the manager quickly put a halt to it.

We've stayed in many hotels in Waukesha County and by far this is our favorite. It's a little pricey though, especially on the weekends.

Room Tip: Pricey but worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Edgewater, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This is an area I travel to at least 2x per year, and have stayed in this La Quinta each time. The exterior fits in with the other buildings in the area, and is extremely clean inside. One would not know not was pet friendly! My stays have been nothing short of 3 nights and I will continue to stay here when I return!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Delafield
The Delafield Hotel
The Delafield Hotel
#2 of 4 in Delafield
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Delafield
Holiday Inn Express Delafield
Staybridge Suites Milwaukee West Oconomowoc
Hilton Garden Inn Oconomowoc
The Country Springs Hotel

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee Delafield? Share your experiences!