“Delightful hotel in a delightful town.”

Kress Inn, An Ascend Hotel Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in De Pere
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Delightful hotel in a delightful town.”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

It seemed like a tall order -- a hotel for a couple's last-minute getaway ... in the greater Green Bay area ... just before the weekend of a Packer game. Enter the Kress Inn, a hidden jewel in the lovely town of DePere, just south of Green Bay (but a world away). On (or right next to) the St. Norbert College campus, the Kress Inn is beautiful, well-run, clean, well-appointed, comfortable, quiet, and staffed with friendly, helpful people. And with all of that, it is very reasonably priced. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Kress and can attest to the truth of the Norbertine tradition of "radical hospitality." There's an old story of how the late Queen Juliana of the Netherlands once visited a Dutch island in the Caribbean and spent some rare time alone on a boat ride down a beautiful river; when she disembarked, she said to her host, "Thank you so much -- I've been myself for half an hour." That's how we felt after our stay at the Kress -- we'd been ourselves for a while.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LWinWI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 11, 2013

As a returning guest, overall our visit was comfortable and pleasant. However, from the minute I made our reservation, I felt things were just "off" slightly; confirmation was messed up, I didn't find the staff as accommodating and knowledgeable as I have in the past. Our reservation was made months in advance, for a whirlpool / fireplace suite - only to be checked into a room with no view. Carpet in the room was stained, drywall poorly patched in the whirlpool area - rattly window grates every time the door opened and closed. No cookies at the front desk. I was disappointed to have our rate double for the Saturday evening stay as it was a Green Bay Packer game weekend, and have it rationalized as - "that's what other properties in the area are doing", "we're just staying competitive". Generally, I was disappointed that the Kress hospitality that we've enjoyed in past seemed to lacking, if not gone. Although the property is small, quiet and generally comfortable - I don't believe I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LaCrosseIndians
Laura N, Manager at Kress Inn, An Ascend Hotel Collection, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel from this past weekend. I am so sorry that you encountered a less than satisfying stay while you were here at the Kress Inn; it is certainly not what we strive for or expect any of our guests to experience. We pride ourselves on making each guest feel comfortable by serving as a home away from home as we welcome each traveler to our Inn. I have already begun addressing each of these points from your stay with the appropriate staff. From Management, Maintenance, and Front Desk it sounds like we all had a part in your stay not being the best it could be. I have sent you a separate email detailing what we have done to hopefully accommodate you for your disappointment in your stay. We do hope that you will reconsider and give us another try to live up to the expectations we have for our staff and our Inn. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further needs. Thank you.
Hidden Valley Lake, California
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Very charming, glad it is part of Choicehotels. Had a comfortable stay for business. Lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance, complete with Green Bay Packer hospitality. Shower was incredible. Loved the workspace counter bar area. The only drawback was that I was not upgraded as a Platinum member even though there were very few people staying that night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ks714
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed one night on business and was pleasantly surprised. This was a true bargain for the rate. The room was pleasant, well appointed, clean, and comfortable and the staff efficient and helpful. Enjoyed the offer of wine or lemonade at the front desk in the evening. I didn't need the extra sink and counter, but would have appreciated it in the morning if I had been traveling with family or friends. With some directions from the front desk, I walked across the river to the walking/bike path and enjoyed a beautiful evening while getting some exercise.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank weaver56
Anoka
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights on business recently. Front desk personnel was thorough, courteous and efficient without being too "business like".
The room was very well appointed. Note that it is missing the normal plethora of charging outlets that most have come to expect. That not withstanding it was a very clean, very comfortable room. Clean to a fault actually.
I will definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Brian T
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Was here on business for one night found this little gem right next to St Norbert's catholic college. It's not a Hyatt but there aren't any...Only a few miles from the airport, this was really a relaxing evening after the long flight to Green Bay. Very nice room, clean, great place to work. Walked around the lovely campus and enjoyed that cool Wisconsin clean air on an early fall evening. Not much going on here, quiet and peaceful, friendly people, just a relaxing stay.

Close to plenty of restaurants. Ambled into the Alley just a few steps away after "Yelping" all my options and bingo, $1 burger night on Mondays! If I have business in De Pere, Kress is the only way to go.

Room Tip: On the way out of town there is a cheese shop in the airport, believe me when I tell you buy it all...