“Interesting, to say the least.”

Cumberland Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cumberland
Mosinee, Wisconsin
“Interesting, to say the least.”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed at the Cumberland Inn and Suites because we were attending an event in the area. I am not sure that it was an experience I would repeat. Continental breakfast consisted primarily of mini donuts and Ho Hos. We also had to ask to have our room made up. The owners were pleasant, but their children were often manning the desk and the phones. The room was clean when we arrived, but I guess I have just become accustomed to a little more in terms of creature comforts.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank geoteacher068

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 24, 2011

The room was very clean, the location just down the road from our destination (wedding) and the hotel extremely quiet. As other reviewers have noted---yes, a lot of the outside and hallway lights were turned off and the only way in and out of the hotel is through the front lobby doors (which could be inconvenient if you have lots of luggage). The other doors are for emergency exits only. There is some sort of building supply company next door, so ask for the quiet (front) side of the building. Front side faces a convenience store and hamburger chain, but a large parking lot separates those from the hotel. Very quiet after dark, but then again there was less than a dozen cars in the hotel lot both nights.

The pungent smell of cooking "ethnic" food could be smelled down the halls and in our room, the hotel should consider better ventilation in the kitchen of the hotel management's quarters. It eventually dissipated after dinner time.

I had made the reservations two months in advance, had copies of the confirmation paperwork (with online prices, including 5.5% sales tax) in hand, but was still charged $10 extra for both nights. Didn't notice it until after we had settled in for the night. Considering I had previously read reviews here, some stating the management could be difficult regarding undisclosed fees, we let it go, as we were too tired and not in the mood to haggle over it. We did notice there was a hair dryer and a (plugged in, running) mini fridge in the room, and perhaps that's why the extra fee? Nice to have, but we weren't expecting them with the room option we had previously selected.

We never use the pools/hot tubs and very seldom check out the breakfasts of the places we stay, so have no information to share on those. The WiFi worked just fine, but we were on the first floor. The person behind the check in desk was very polite and professional in appearance.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DandBtravels
madison
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We visited the place with our team. The service was very nice and we had a pleasant stay. The pool and hottub were extremely clean and roomy. We enjoyed till late night. The continental breakfast in the morning was good and hygenic with many items to offer.
The check in and check out were very prompt and the beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank jackMadison
Washington
Reviewed February 12, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel very much. I would love to go back. My collegues and I stayed there about 3 days. The staff really knows how to make their guests comfortable. There were warm and personable. Breakfast was great with bread, cheese, muffins, and fresh coffee. We did not have to aks for extra towels nor soaps because the staff already put extra in the room. Everything was provided to us wihtout even asking for it. I felt like home.
Eveything is indoor. The swimming pool is huge and great. The water was not cold therefore I felt so comfortable being in thier even in the winner. They also have a hot tub which you can use afterwards.
The price is very resonable. The internet work very fast.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank robert1111Washington
madison
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Stayed there with my wife and daughters.we booked our rooms with
hockey team.the place was very nice and clean. My daughters enjoyed the warm pool on Friday and Saturday evening with their friends ,the owners were very nice to let us use the lobby for our team gathering and dinner for the team.
The rooms were very clean and the
Manager went way over his limits to full fill any special request of the teams.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank madcow001
Minneapolis
Reviewed January 25, 2010

We booked our room 4 weeks prior to the hockey tournament my daughter was to play in. The week of the tourn. she was hospitalized for 3 days, being released the day before we were to leave. My husband called the owner and tried to cancel our reservation and was treated very poorly! We understood the cancellation policy, but were hoping he would work with us under the circumstances. After being hung up on twice, my husband gave up. Our daughter wanted to go watch her team and since we had to pay for the room anyway, her grandmother decided to take her for the first night, then we would go for the second.

Not only did they charge her credit card upon check-in, they made her pay for both nights even though she said we were coming because it was after check-out time and our daughter's things were still in the room. This was AFTER already charging my credit card for both nights!! He did refund my card, but said he didn't have to, and argued with us about it. He even implied that we had lied about her being sick because she was there.

When I made the reservation, he said he could give us a deluxe king room in smoking, or a king suite in non for much more. We chose the deluxe king, which we didn't get. When I asked about it, the owner got very defensive and argumentive and said he said no such thing to me, which was a lie. I wrote it all down as I made the res. He got so upset because we were demanding answers that he said we could just leave, which was not an option, because apperently the only other hotel in town is also owned by him!!

Breakfast was a joke. Ho-Hos and Ding-Dongs, and stale cereal were the choices. My mother had to ask for the lights to be turned on in the lobby area so she could read the paper, but they were shut off as soon as she left.

Our team was allowed to have a pot-luck supper in the lobby, which was nice. and the parents were allowed to stay after hours, as long as they were quiet. However the pool was supposed to be open until 10:00 and when the girls tried to use it at 9:15 Fri. night, they were told it was closed for the night.

All in all, not a great experience and next time we will stay as far away from his hotels as we can!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank momoftwinsplus2

Travelers are raving about these Cumberland hotels

Wisconsin
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Stayed 1 night with a few hockey families. Between games at 1:45 tried to check in yes it was 1:15 before offical check in time the rooms were ready but to check in early there is a $10:00 charged when asked about it they said they charged $10 for the early use of the untilies heat and electicity. (ok wait 1:15 to check in I had 2 rooms) Nice customer service.
I don't know were these people ate at the hotel, but when I went to get my breakfast at 9:00 am I had my choice of honey oaks or frosted flakes, orange or apple juice that was place in the small refigerator under the counter.
Pricing is hidden also.
$79.99 for first person and $10 for each addtional person kids were free.
Look at prices on the internet and try to use those prcies I booked one on line and the other by phone. Phone was $79.99 on-line 74.95 . 2 adults in one room 1 adult in the other room. Price one night 2 rooms $170. 89:99 and $79.99 plus tax
Only good thing rooms were clean.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank The_Badger77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cumberland
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Rice Lake
AmeriVu Inn & Suites
AmeriVu Inn & Suites
#6 of 8 in Rice Lake
Best Western Spooner Riverplace

Been to Cumberland Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!