“It was amazing!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cross Plains
Enchanted Valley Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Cross Plains B&B and Inns
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“It was amazing!!”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I travel a lot for business and I was looking for an alternative place to stay. I found the enchanted Valley bed and breakfast to be an amazing find, Marcia, is a wonderful hostess. The setting is beautiful & the overall experience was
wonderful. I plan to stay again soon.

• Stayed October 2013

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Grand Bend, Ontario
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The B&B is located at the northeast corner of Otto Kerl and Enchanted Valley roads intersection.
The house has a beautiful view and a quiet location.

My husband and I stayed 3 nights. Marcie, the owner, is 75-years-old. She is very sweet but fragile after the death of her husband. The house was renovated by them, and her husband had done much of the work. Without him, things around the house break and don't get fixed. There was a storm a while before and a tree had come down, so the walkway down to our room was impassable. I almost fell clambering over the uneven ground and debris.
We had a bedroom downstairs with sliding doors onto a lower deck. The deck was covered with debris and bird poop, not swept, and unusable. Our bathroom was large with a tub and shower, but my husband could not get into the tub. The spout had been installed right in the middle at the front and he couldn't get his legs around it. For 3 days stay we received 1 roll of toilet paper. The first night we had 2 towels and 2 facecloths but no bathmat or hand towels. She forgot to give us the bathmat and hand towels, we later learned. I used the shower, but sure missed not having a bathmat. The shower had no curtain, and no shelf for shampoo or soap - I had to reach over and set them on the tub - getting water all over the floor. Water was constantly on the bathroom floor. There was no shampoo, only bubblebath, anyway. Eventually I managed to get more towels by going into her laundry room and taking some - there was a big pile not sorted on top of the dryer. I told her after what I had done, and she apologized profusely for forgetting to put more.

The room had not been cleaned properly. I had to wipe off chairs, knock down cobwebs, and wash sticky bedside tables. There were even bugs in the room. There were some flowers from her garden in a vase placed in the room, and books set out about relaxation and so forth, but the basic cleaning had not been done. She admitted she has no cleaning lady.

Marcie insisted we enter the house through the TV room next to our bedroom. The TV room had a shag carpet, so we were told to take off our shoes when we entered the house to spare the carpet. She sat in the TV room covered by a blanket watching TV much of the time, and watching for us to come and go. She seems really lonely, and wanted to visit with us all the time whenever she saw us. I was polite and usually responded to her, but my husband found her constant talking irritating. She tends to be forgetful and ask the same questions again and again.

Breakfasts were slow because she constantly forgot things. And the quantity was uneven to say the least! The first morning we received one egg and one piece of toast, and a few pieces of fruit each. She didn't know how to make coffee, so I had to help her.The second day we had a large bread pudding and sausages, plus lots of fruit, and a coffee cake which was more than we could eat. The third day we had a piece of French toast and a bit of bacon. She expects to visit while you eat breakfast on her outdoor deck. She sits down at the table and starts talking, and forgets to put cream and sugar for coffee and that sort of thing... The plastic tablecloth had not been wiped and the chairs were dirty.

Marcie is also deaf with 2 hearing aids so gets confused a lot. She is very kind and tries hard to please, but really can't cope any more. I'm sorry to say that while the place is in a lovely spot as others have reported, we did not think it was worth the $125/night we paid! There was no fridge, no microwave and no Wifi.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank OD
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Obviously any of the bad reviews on here were during a difficult time. We stayed two nights for our 19th anniversary. Upon our arrival Marcia welcomed us with open arms, a very kind and funny lady.
Our room was amazing, warm and inviting with antiques and books lying hear and there so it gave it a homey feel. The bathroom is huge and spotless. The bed is very soft and comfortable. She was flexable about breakfast time so if we wanted to sleep in that was ok and breakfast was amazing, if you wanted more she was willing to make more fresh so it wasn't really portioned out as stated in another review. We almost hated leaving, she made us feel so at home and I loved our long talks. The beautiful grounds and home are only about 30-45 minutes from just about everything including Madison shopping and American players theatre but nicely tucked away from the city noise.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Nightwillow
Canfield, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay at Enchanted Valley. The setting is peaceful and beautiful, and the view from the deck where we had breakfast was, well, enchanting. We spent four nights there and had excellent accommodations and breakfasts.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aggorman
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 9, 2012

This was my fourth year at Enchanted Valley. It's a magical place! Out of the the huge picture window there's a view of woods to the left, fields and rolling hills on the right. Bird watching is awesome. Breakfasts i.e. an asparagus omelette (from their garden), french toast, sausage and fruit are excellent. The hosts, (now Marci alone) were helpful, hospitable, and knowledgeable about the area. I've stayed in both bedrooms and found comfortable beds and lovely bathrooms with an invigorating shower/jacuzzi. I fell asleep to the night noise of insects and awoke to birds in the morning. I got to know Ken and Marci and liked visiting them each year. Marci, without Ken is as nice as ever... I look forward to returning again. A good place to relax and enjoy the country.

Room Tip: the north room has a woodsy view and the south an open fields view, both pleasant.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kiziah
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I've stayed at enough B&Bs now to know what a good one is and isn't. I'd consider this one more along the lines of a room for rent rather then an actually B&B. Very nice people and you do get breakfast, however if you're looking for a romantic weekend getaway I'd look elsewhere unless you're on a budget and/or don't want to stay in a hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank weevis
marciahelgerson, Owner at Enchanted Valley Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
I'm so sorry you were disappointed in your experience at our B&B and to be honest, I am disappointed too that we didn't provide our usual hospitality. Here's why: My husband Ken, I know now, was losing his fight with cancer. We closed the B&B shortly thereafter and, as I look back I realize we should have closed sooner. I miss our b&B guests very much so Enchanted Valley is now again open.
Steger
Reviewed September 17, 2010

We were really looking forward to spending our honeymoon at Enchanted Valley, especially after all the great reviews here. However, our experience did not measure up to our expectations. To begin with, when we arrived, the hosts were surprised to see us - they hadn't checked the calendar. We waited while the room wa made up. There were didrty dishes around (including on the couch where we waited); it was clear we were not expected, despite having made reservations. The room, when we finally got in, was lovely but not entirely clean. Clearly hadn't been dusted for a while. There were some spiderwebs (and spiders) in the shower. When we walked aorund outside and checked out the sauna, we found that it was overrun with spiderwebs and obviously could not be used. The bed provided no supposrt at all - very soft - which meant little sleep and left us in pain the following day. Breakfast was delicious but very portioned (a plate of 4 slices of French toast was set out for 4 of us - my sweetheart and myself as well as K & M). We actaully went out to breakfast after leaving there.

Their website states that a tv and vcr is available in each room - not true. In fact, most of the amenities mentioned on their website were not in evidence. The website says they accept credit card and checks, also not true. It was much less like staying at a lovely bed and breakfast than staying in the basement of an older aunt and uncle. Ken and Marcie are actually very sweet people. They were interesting and clearly loving people. However... they were a little too overbearing. I understand that part of the b&b experience is talking to the hosts, but I am also used to having a tiny bit of privacy, too. I wouldn't say no one should ever stay there, but be very aware what kind of place it is. Not good for a romantic getaway, but maybe fine if you are looking for company and a very casual atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry you were disappointed in your experience at our Enchanted Valley B&B and I am disappointed that we didn't provide our usual hospitality. Here's why: My husband Ken, as I know now, was losing his fight with cancer. We closed the B&B shortly thereafter and as I look back I realize we should have closed sooner. I miss our B&B guests very much so Enchanted Valley is now again open.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cross Plains
Radisson Hotel Madison
Radisson Hotel Madison
#16 of 63 in Madison
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison West

Been to Enchanted Valley Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!