“Anything but clean...”
Review of Village Inn

Village Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cornucopia
Village Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Cornucopia B&B and Inns
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
“Anything but clean...”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

When I checked in to the Spring Room, I was told the room keys were in the door of our room, which gave me a bad vibe right off the bat. That meant anyone could've gotten into our room before we got there. And maybe they did, or maybe the housekeepers just didn't clean the room like they should've. I went in to check out the room before heading out for a day of fun, and was met with a toilet full of poop. Someone else's poop!!! I wish I was kidding. I tried to flush it away, but the toilet would not flush it down, leaving a mess just about overflowing in the bathroom. I immediately went down to the front desk to report this, not really being sure if I wanted to stay in a place whose first impression was anything but good. The front desk girl that I checked in with only a few minutes earlier was the only person I saw, and was mortified to hear what I had to tell her. She said she would "see if Wade was still here." I told her I would be back later, assuming it would all be taken care of when we got back later in the evening.

To describe the set-up of the hotel/restaurant combination, please know that there are 4 inn rooms just off a common sitting area on the 2nd floor of the building, which is upstairs from the restaurant. To access these rooms, one must climb a set of wooden stairs on the outside of the building, entering the common area of the inn by an unlocked door. Our room, the Spring Room, was the first room inside that door, and when I walked into the common area, I saw that our door was standing wide open with the keys in the door. It just seemed odd to me that there was absolutely no security to get through in order to access our room. After seeing the "gift" that was left for us, I am sure that this may have played a part.

We did not return to the inn until 11:30pm that night, and boy, do I wish we would've gone back earlier. I was apprehensive as I re-entered our room, and was met with an uncleanly smell as soon as I opened the door. Immediately I checked the toilet, and found that the majority of the gift was gone, but there was still some floating waste, and the staff had DEFINITELY NOT CLEANED THE TOILET. It stunk like feces in that bathroom, because there was waste STILL caked on the inside wall of the toilet after having had all day to clean it. To make matters worse, I pulled back the bed covers to reveal bed sheets with visible stains that looked a little too rumpled to have been clean. I was angry, but at that time of night, what was one supposed to do 3+ hours from home in a town with no open hotel rooms? My husband and I layered on the clothes, pulled our hoods over our heads, and climbed into bed because we were too tired to do anything but sleep on the mattress that had obviously seen better days. It had ruts so well worn into it that I didn't know if the mattress or the box spring was in worse shape. The guy snoring loudly in the room next to us was definitely heard as we fell asleep, but not before we added that to our list of maddening things about the Village Inn.

We did wake up several times that night, because it was FREEZING in that room. We were too tired and angry to look around for a thermostat when we arrived, because when we entered the room it was temperate. In retrospect, I remember seeing what looked like a wall unit air conditioner, but wonder now if it was also a heater. Regardless, there were no heat vents in that room and though we were dressed for winter weather as we got into bed, we still froze through the night.

I was going to call to complain after leaving today, but after reading the other reviews on TA, I quickly realized that cleanliness is not a new problem for the Village Inn, nor is customer service. I have a feeling nothing would change, nor would I get my money back, so I did not feel like getting an earful about this not being "The Marriott." No, it is not the Marriott, but in my book, a clean hotel goes a long way in getting my return business. And I will not be returning to the Village Inn again in my lifetime. If you are considering staying there, you may not experience exactly what we did, but do you want to take the chance?

Stayed February 2014
10 Thank WisconsinMomOf2

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chicago's North Shore, Illinois
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This review is for the restaurant only.....

I'm giving it a 4.5 for atmosphere and a 3 for food, but since TA doesn't allow half points, i gave them a a solid 4 because i really liked the atmosphere and the friendliness of the staff.....

We stopped in during our snowmobile ride to Bayfield County..... The Village Inn has a Northwoodsy/mariner/community vibe to it---old, but very comfy and warm feeling, plus the price was right and it's right across from Lake Superior and the harbor.... We got the fish chowder bread bowl. I ordered this dish because whitefish and trout are among my favorite fishes.... But personally, next time i go there, i'll order something else..... The bread was delicious, but the chowder was good enough, but not something i'd go out of my way to order again....

All in all, because of the nice atmosphere, i would recommend the Village Inn restaurant in Cornucopia, WI......

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Neillsville, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Our cabin was run down and dirty. They either don't clean them, or they don't care when they do. By morning the cabin was filled with mosquitoes and we were getting eaten alive. The manager at The Village Inn was very rude, and made us feel like criminals for not wanting to stay a second night. We will avoid this place in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Cory B
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We recently stayed in the Cabins which were directly across the road. Very lovely view of the Lake, sunsets and sailboats coming and going. They are cozy cabins with all the functions of a cabin. I felt the $$ was a bit high for the area as well as the inside. They could really do a little bit of an update. Its not the Marriott but if you have the right frame of mind you can enjoy the experience. The Village Inn restaurant has good food for dinner. If you keep in mind the area you are in and the population it all fits together nicely.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I had the unique pleasure of staying at the quant B and B, The Village Inn in Cornucopia WI. We were pleasantly surprized with our room and the common area. There was a pleasant breeze from the deck right off the lake. It is not full of unessesary amenities but simple and sweet with a comfortable bed and fine continental breakfast of homemade goodies. We also dined at the restaurant below the B and B and were absolutely thrilled with the cuisine and the service. Our hostess was gracious and the wait staff was engaging, full of energy and efficient. The Friday night Fish Fry was phenomenal (Whitefish and Trout offerred). My husband had the Trout and I dined on the Whitefish. We also had the famous Fish chowder and Stuffed mushrooms. Even though we were full we had to try one of the homemade desserts. We shared a peice of the Pecan Torte and loved it! We enjoyed our wine choice and the extensive menu. Thanks to everyone at the Village Inn! We will be back with friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We had such a nice stay in Corny that we stayed an extra night at the Village Inn (Autumn room). Our room was newly redecorated and clean. The bed was comfortable and the shower was fine.

We did have a little struggle in getting the tv and AC to work but found directions for AC in the room binder and it worked fine. I'm not sure how we got the TV working but think there was an issue with two cables being misconnected. The ceiling fan in the bathroom didn't work but it didn't really bother us. We didn't feel the need to contact anyone for help so cannot comment related to other posts here about customer service. People were helpful and friendly.

We loved the common area because it made us feel like we had space there outside of just the bedroom. It made it feel very homey to us.

We weren't expecting the continental breakfast so it was a nice surprise to not have this additional cost in the mornings. Nothing amazing but a decent selection of bread for toast and cereals. The last morning we were there, the breakfast buffet hadn't been restocked so there was no sugar, butter, jam, peanut butter, or OJ - but still plenty of other things to make a filling breakfast.

We stayed during the week so I can't comment on someone else's point about it being loud due to the music from the tiki bar (that's not open during the week). It was very peaceful for us.

Restaurant downstairs was a different experience. Food was ok but there was an unbelievably strong smell of sewage in the dining room.

We would DEFINITELY stay here again!

Room Tip: I don't know how much difference there really is between the rooms but we stayed in the Autumn r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bluemulder
cheryl o, Owner at Village Inn, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
thank you for the nice comments, we feel very bad when our guests are not happy, we encourge anyone who stays with us to contact us if they are not happy with somthing -we will do our best to change that for them. I wanted to comment on our "smell" issue, we had an extreme amount of rain earlier this summer and have had some issues with our crawl space and basement ever since. We have been working hard to correct the problem and are having some new equipment installed so as not to have this happen in the future. On Damp or rainy days we can have a smell issues, but not all the time, it just depends on the moment, that is why it has been so hard to pin down the exact source, We do appologize if you dinned with us and had this experence we insure you that it is being delt with and will not happen in the future.
We have also delt with our cleanning issues as we had some new help this year that did not always work up to our standerds...this is not exceptable for us.
thank you again for the positive comments....we have had 100's of guest again this summer and it seams only those who have a problem write on trip advisor...I encourge anyone who stays anywhere and has a good time to respond as well....it is nice for people to see all sides of a buisness not only those you where unable to please.
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We were happy to get a reservation as the area is very busy. Our "Winter Room" was the smallest of the four rooms available and would have been acceptable had it been CLEAN. I do not think anything had been dusted in weeks and certainly not cleaned in a long time. The daily room upkeep that you would expect is only done if requested. The continental breakfast is OK but the area where it is served and the buffet is NOT CLEAN either. We had hoped friends would join us but were told there were openings YET there was one room open two of the three nights that we were there. We had asked the owner to let us know if there was a cancellation as our friends would have driven up from central wisconsin, but were never informed of the cancellations. They lost two nights room revenue due to their lack of attention to detail. We decided to have a meal in their dining room on the last night and were joined by friends from Florida. Sadly, after waiting 15 minutes with no one attending us I asked the hostess to help out. She was very pleasant and found our server. Our server, by her own admission, was frazzeled and fairly new at the job. We waited over one hour for food which was not worth waiting for. The spaetzle was HARD and the corn was overcooked. The pork shanks were good. The blackened white fish was stuck to the metal serving plate and had to be scraped off. We complained to the server (when we found her) and she comped us our drinks but the entire situation left a bad taste in our mouths. The Tiki bar next door is a great idea but once again no attention to detail with tipped over chairs strewn around and nothing wiped off after being out in the elements. One more thing....standing in ankle deep water to shower is unacceptable. We reported this and they made an attempt to fix it (without success) by our gut feeling is that it has been this way for a LONG time and will not be addressed anytime soon. This place could truly be a gem but without the taking time to do proper cleaning and maintenance it will slowly just get worse and worse.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere first of all. The winter room is the smallest and if you like quiet at night (on wee...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank kathyandjack1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cornucopia
Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#1 of 15 in Bayfield

Been to Village Inn? Share your experiences!