“Pleasant tour of sea caves on Superior”

Lost Creek Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: We are located on the south shore of Lake Superior in the village of Cornucopia and adjacent to the Apostle Islands National Park. During the summer we have loads of KAYAK trips & rentals, STAND UP PADDLEBOARD lessons and rentals, and during the rest of the year we have FOLK SCHOOL and OUTDOOR SKILL courses and expeditions.Get outta town and visit us this year!
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were thrilled to find this small outfitter who made our tour of the sea caves on the Superior mainland very pleasant and memorable. Our guides were gracious and accommodating, making all of us feel at ease, no matter what our level of kayak experience. We all took our time and the guides set such a welcoming atmosphere. Well worth the short trip to Cornucopia.

2  Thank Barryschade
Greg W, Owner at Lost Creek Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thanks so much. I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip. I'm very proud of my staff and happy that I get to work with these good folks, who also paddle.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"calm lake"
"person group"

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We highly recommend Lost Creek Adventures in Cornucopia, WI. If you want an outstanding Lake Superior adventure, this is the place to come. We are total novices in the world of kayaking, yet our tour guide Molly made us feel like we knew what we were doing. (: She was a stellar teacher and guide--very personable, knowledgeable, and excited about her work. The staff we dealt with at Lost Creek was equally professional and helpful. Navigating a kayak on a large lake like this might be intimidating, yet Lost Creek made it not so daunting. The sea caves we experienced were fantastic--and we have great memories (and some photographs) to remind us of this exceptional outing. We had explored other kayaking options, but determined Lost Creek to be #1 ... and they did not disappoint.

3  Thank wisconsinscout
Greg W, Owner at Lost Creek Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

I feel very thankful for the great responses we have had for our programs and staff, and equally as thankful for our great participants, as you are the reason we are here and continue to be a successful business in this tiny village of ours.

Of course the real reason you came is to experience a part of this greatest of Great Lakes! I'm glad we could assist.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

After a bad experience last year with another outfitter (see my other posts)we did a lot of research this year, before heading out. Lost creek adventures is in Cornucopia, a very small town that we loved! If you're looking to getaway from the hubbub of Bayfield this could be the place for you. The young men who were our guides were very friendly & knowledgable. They obviously kayak frequently and know the territory well. My husband & I really wanted to see the sea caves, but with H2O temps in only the high 50's in July, there is no room for error. The guides went over a lot of things that made a novice "sea" kayaker feel comfortable. We had only done rivers & in land lakes...Lake Superior is nothing to mess with. I highly recommend Lost creek adventures.

1  Thank dentalDawn

Thanks so much. I'll pass your words along to our staff. -Greg

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked the 1/2 day tour to apostle island. Molly was
our guide and you could tell she really loved her job. The seacaves were neat looking and I loved being able to paddle through some! Definitely an experience ill be talking about for awhile. The price was around $55.00 a person which is okay but they forget to mention that you have to pay a $3.00 parking fee on top of that. Then you have to help bring all the stuff to and from the beach. Normally I wouldn't mind but I'm 13 weeks prego and really shouldn't be lifting kayaks up and down 10 ft. of stairs. If they are going to have the guests help like that it needs to be a little cheaper. Molly thanked us up and down for the help. Its not her fault, she wouldnt have been able to do it by herself! I would recommend this tour but be prepared to work both on and off the water.

1  Thank hurdle_queen02
Greg W, Owner at Lost Creek Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and comments. All true! (except the stairs sometimes feel more like 100 feet coming back up at the end;-)

Every outfitter or individual kayaker who puts in at the sea caves has to get their boats up and down those stairs. It's just what has to happen. We try to leave boats there for the next trip when we have a guide to watch them, but at some point we need your help to move the equipment to and from the beach. If you are not physically able to help, of course you can help carry paddles, or life jackets instead. We appreciate your help with the boats when you can. We always have 4 people per tandem kayak, making the carrying weight approximately 20lbs per person.

Our online reservations page does state that you may have to drive your vehicle to the put in, about 4 miles from our shop. This is not always the case, and depends upon the availability of our van for that day. In the future I hope to be able to acquire another van to replace our pickup truck.

On the "flip" side, (kayaking pun intended) many of our trip participants actually choose to forgo the van and drive on their own, (and pay the parking fee) because then after the trip is over they can leave right away to venture on to dinner, shopping, etc... rather than wait for our guides to re-pack the trailer and tie down the boats. This a 15 minute endeavor when we all ride in the van together.

I wish you good health and thank you for exploring with us!