“Fantastic meal & experience - a must if you love a high end experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Al Corso Restaurant

Al Corso Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Collins
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Destination dining at its finest. We are located 15 minutes west of Manitowoc. Exceptional contemporary American cuisine, such as steaks, pastas, chicken and seafood. Offering nightly specials. Join us in a warm bistro style atmosphere that was a renovated 1800's tavern. Will open for lunch on private parties of 20 or more.
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic meal & experience - a must if you love a high end experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

What a great restaurant. Not as remote as many believe it may be. Make the trip, you will not be disappointed. Chef Dave Salm just made the exclusive Best Chefs in America award for 2013. Not surprised as the dining is always fresh and exciting. Great service and atmosphere.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Jim R

Sheboygan, Wisconsin, United States
“Don't Order the Seafood Medley”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Some friends and I went to this restaurant on Saturday, March 30, 2013 and had a very bad experience that I thought I'd have to share. I ordered a dish that had Shrimp, Scallops and Lobster( and I use this term very loosely) and the shrimp, and scallops were acceptable, but the lobster pieces used were awful. They were rubbery, a funny color, very salty and I could not even cut them..(didn't have a chain saw in my purse) When I asked the waitress for different pieces, she took them in the kitchen and came out and said the chef said they were just fine. So, not only did I spend $24.99 on this entree, I was was pretty much called a liar. The manager, who I believe is owner, only gave me, after she was very condecending to me, $2.50 off my meal. My friends and I go out to a different restaurant every month, and this was the first one in over a year, that I would never recommend to anyone. So, don't bother to go here, unless you just wanted a good Bloody Mary...that's it.

• Visited March 2013
5 Thank Cheryl R
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
“very nice evening out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

As noted, this place is not exactly dependent on drive by traffic. You are either led here or told about it with very clear instructions. We had an hours drive and saw the new home of the source of their fresh goat cheese on the way.

Anyway, this is a small place. I really didn't carefully count things last night but the bar that takes up one wall of the room sits about eight. There may have been between 16-20 tables that held two to four people depending on demand. The daily specials I think improves the chances of fresher food and we were very happy with a beet and fresh goat cheese appetizer along with grilled shrimp over a tangy red cabbage slaw. We both had the asparagus soup of the day. Light and creamy with little chunks of just tender spears. Nice fresh bread and flavored butter. My wife had the horseradish salmon. Nice tang and the fish was mild and pleasant. I had a "special" of a beef rib and a small lobster tail. There was a flavor I think from the connective tissue in the rib that put me off slightly. The little lobster tail was fine but not memorable but I guess that is not unexpected in late winter in farm country. It hadn't been swimming anywhere close by or recently.

We shared (somewhat unequally I have to admit) a nice warm apple crisp with ice cream for dessert.

This is our fourth visit over the last couple years. Not quite enough to be seen as "regulars" but enough to see some of the same faces there, usually a good sign.

Quite reasonable prices for fare that is considerably above anything in a large radius from here.

Visited March 2013
Glendale, Wisconsin
“An oasis in the culinary desert of "middle-of-nowhere" Wisconsin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Leaving the culinary security of Milwaukee to foray into the less-than-pedestrian "supper club" style diners and restaurants found in most of small-town Wisconsin can be an unwelcome proposition. Al Corso is a welcome exception to the cafeteria style decor and buffets found in most other small towns in the state. The atmosphere and design of Al Corso is welcoming and can even pass for romantic if the occasion so requires. The food is worthy of Chicago, but is half the price and served without the pretention expected in bigger cities.

How Al Corso ended up in its current location is mind boggling since the home of the restaurant, Collins, Wisconsin, is quite literally in the middle of nowhere. The restaurant is really the only "thing" in the town besides the small businesses that exist to serve locals. If anything, I enjoy that the restaurant is somewhat of a hike to get to because it limits the customers to the loyal crowd that is willing to make the pilgramage to Al Corso to enjoy an out-of-place, but appreciated quality dining experience. It is a testament to the restaurant that it is almost always full to capacity even though it is far away from any large city. The only criticisms I have heard about the restaurant are lobbed by some locals who complain about the price. The price of Al Corso should not be the subject of complaint or criticism, however, but praise. Sure the prices may be "high" compared to local diners and supper clubs, but Al Corso is NOT a diner. It is a restaurant. A darned good one for the area, in fact.

The food is outstanding, and I am glad to have Al Corso as an oasis in the otherwise desolate mid-Wisconsin culinary landscape.

• Visited October 2012
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
“Second Time Was A Charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

My first experience at Al Corso was over five years ago with a group of 8 and while the food was very good the service needed a lot of attention. Not so this time. We were seated promptly at our reservation time and everything was uphill from there. The service was excellent. The roasted beet and pear salad was terrific and the chicken Mulligatawny soup was the best I have ever had. Our group enjoyed the horseradish crusted salmon and the tenderloin. The braised lamb shank was good but not memorable. And the special scallops with venison bolognese was good and a huge portion. This place is a keeper and I won't wait five years next time to return. Note, Al Corso is in the middle of nowhere.

• Visited January 2013