“Something for everyone (Year-round!)”

Loopy's Grill & Saloon
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Pizza
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: A Northwoods Log Cabin with a Caribbean style tiki bar overlooking the beautiful Chippewa River. 3 sand volleyball courts (in heated air dome in the winter), fire pit, bag toss. Large banquet seating for up to 400. River rentals for tubing, canoeing, and kayaking. Homemade pizzas, fresh local burgers, Friday fish fry, mexican dishes and lunch buffet Monday through Friday.
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I play in a volleyball league at Loopy’s and therefore I am typically there at least once a week.

The food at Loopy’s is standard American pub fare, and it’s typically very good. I recommend the hand-tossed pizza, heaping mound of beef nachos, and the Friday fish fry. Fish tacos are delicious, and the BLT, featuring a full pound of bacon, is great. Prices are competitive, and portions are generous.

The service is usually good, however Friday nights can get busy and from time-to-time you might be there opposite a party. The staff is always friendly, and the job Donna does is outstanding.

One thing that really sets Loopy’s apart from a generic hunting-lodge type establishment is the setting. Loopy’s is situated above the banks of the Chippewa River, and a large deck and fully-stocked tiki bar provide a breathtaking view of the water and the wildlife that inhabit it. Bald Eagles are a common sight.

On Saturday afternoons from May thru October Loopy’s is a common destination for wedding parties to stop in for lunch or drinks and a chance to get their picture taken on the riverbank and in the giant Leinenkugel’s Adirondack chair.

I have observed Loopy’s to be a great place for out-of-town youth teams playing in local tournaments to stop for lunch or dinner. There’s a lot of room to spread out. The three volleyball courts and several bean-bag toss games will keep the young entertained while the less-motivated can relax around the fire ring or picnic table with a cold one. There is also a large party tent, so rain isn’t something you need to plan around and shade is available. Jimmy Buffett would feel right at home there, even if he had his kids’ little-league team along. (Hammock not included.)

In the summer months Loopy also offers shuttles and equipment to canoe, kayak, or tube-float the Chippewa River. I have two young sons and can verify that it is family-friendly, although one time we did paddle away from a group to avoid listening to their colorful language. Showers are available onsite. A word of advice: Call ahead and ask about the river conditions; the power utility controls the dam and the float can get slow sometimes. A 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hour trip is fairly typical. FATFAR is a big float party that takes place on Father’s Day. I’ve never been able to justify leaving my family to do this, but it sounds like a lot of unwholesome fun. (I don’t believe that this event that is appropriate for anyone under 21.)

When the weather turns cold, something really awesome and unique happens. A GIANT FABRIC DOME is set-up and inflated right over the volleyball courts, tiki bar, and deck area! It is climate controlled with heat provided by underground hot water, which makes the sand feel warm on your feet! In addition to leagues on Sunday-Thursday nights, Loopy hosts several volleyball tournaments on Saturdays, otherwise the courts are generally available for open play – if you are bringing a group call ahead so they know to turn the heat on.

Sunday football at Loopy’s leans toward being adult-oriented. You can watch the Packers and usually the Bears and Vikings, and the Bloody Marys are outstanding; served with sausage, cheese, and other garnish they are almost a meal unto themselves. There is usually a free buffet served at halftime. For big games he sets up a projector and large screen in the dome, but the regular bar has plenty of televisions so there really isn’t a bad seat in the house.

Overall Loopy’s is a fun place. In addition to very good food and service, the site and amenities make it a great year-round destination for visiting families as well as people passing thru the area. Access to Loopy’s is easy, especially from Wisconsin Highway 29 or US Highway 53. Look for the yellow signs with red lettering.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I visited here for one night and had dinner and drinks here. The staff is young, funny and personable. The pizza was great and they have several TV's for the game. In the back, they have sand volleyball courts in a large dome. The volleyball player traffic created a very cozy/local feel. I've only been here once, but it really felt like a hidden gem.

Tip: They have a shuttle service for local folks/hotel to avoid drunk driving. I wish more bars and taverns did this.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

My friends and I stopped at Loopy's yesterday afternoon. I am not young so I've had many pizzas in my life and this was the best pizza ever! So fresh and crisp and perfect!! I was happy to tell Loopy himself and I'm happy to tell you, too! Enjoy!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Brought my boyfriend here after touring the leinenkugel brewery for his birthday..the place is much more run down than the pictures look. We decided to sit out back and nothing was clean. Our waitress seemed very uninterested in serving us. We weren't very hungry and were going to share a French dip until the waitress recommended the quoted "huge heaping world famous nachos." They were TERRIBLE. I've made better nachos myself at home. It was a small plate, not heaping, it was just plain melted cheese and plain ground beef all piled in the middle of the chips. Disappointed I actually paid 9$ for that. I would have rather eaten at a subway or taco bell.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We tried this place because of an advertisement at our hotel. The owner, Loopy, picked us up and dropped us off. They have year round beach volleyball with a tiki bar inclosed in the winter. The view is over the river. Great place!!!