“Good for the price”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Chippewa Falls
Wyoming, Minnesota
“Good for the price”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The room was a little run down old carpet. The bed was comfortable. The price was good. The restaurant was very good, I ate there for dinner 4 times. Everything I ordered was very good. The service was excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Carrie F, Front Office Manager at Avalon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us.....We take great pride in our hotel and hearing positive feedback just reinforces that pride! We have been updating and making changes on a continuous basis...it just takes time. Hopefully you will be able to see some of these changes when you visit us again. Thank you for your business!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed November 12, 2012

With a late flight into town I called the hotel around 11 pm to make sure they knew I was still coming. Entering the hotel, I could tell it was an older hotel. Had this old smell to it.The desk clerk was friendly and said kindly that she would hold the room for me. Upon checking into the hotel, all went ok until the desk clerk said my room number out loud 2 times. Traveling alone as a female, I didn't like that one bit. Especially since there were 2 men behind me waiting to check in as well. That kind of scared me. they offered free breakfast in their restaurant, but didn't explain what you got "free". Breakfast and service was great. Breakfast was hot and fast, and service was over the top. They were quick to serve, even when they were busy. Housekeeping kept my room clean, and didn't bother me. I did ask for a late checkout, but didn't get much of one. overall my week stay was good. I will stay again if I was in the area again! Thanks.

• Stayed November 2012
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This "hotel" is very outdated, dirty, overpriced and the front desk staff was not very customer service oriented.

My Husband made our reservations online He thought that the website said to show our AAA card at the time of check in and our discount would be applied at that time. When we checked in the front desk, they advised that we booked the room wrong and the discount could not be applied. I asked if there was anything they could do for us, The woman said that there was absolute nothing they could and also took the opportunity to point out again that it was our fault for booking it wrong. My guess is that the front desk staff was just too lazy to go the extra mile to make to make their customers happy.
I was not going to let that issue ruin our 2 day stay there..... but our stay there just kept getting worse.
Our room was dirty. At first it looked clean and then we noticed how dirty the bathroom there was hair in the sink & tubs, the fan & blow dryer did not work. The room (and the whole hotel ) had a very musty, damp smell (avoid this place if you have allergies to mold). The AC unit would randomly turn on for 10 seconds & then shut off a couple time an hour.
The pool area was okay. The “hot” tub was just luke warm (we had it running for 45 minutes and it never heated up).
The free breakfast is not worth the time. The pancakes were thick & doughy. Coffee was watered down. My husband ordered Eggs Benedict off the menu, the muffin was not toasted and the eggs were raw…it was disgusting. The décor in the restaurant reminded me of a outdated funeral home.
The only bright spot during our stay was The Bridgewater Bar. The staff was very friendly & professional. They have an awesome bloody Mary Mix, so be sure to try one.
The checkout experience was as terrible as the check in. There was a different girls at the desk, so I asked once again if there anyway we could het the AAA discount. Out of nowhere the orginal woman that I spoke to originally about the discount appeared shaking her head “no”, she went on to tell the other employee that she had already told us no. The woman went on to inform me that she had gone on the hotel website and it was very clear that discount had to be requested online at time of making reservation. I was totally in shock, I could not believe that this employee was still going out of her way to prove me wrong. I understand that we made a mistake and I was not being belligerent, I just thought that it never hurts to ask.
If you want to stay in an overpriced, dirty, outdated, musty smelling hotel, that has a condescending front desk staff this is the perfect hotel for you. I would not stay there again, even if you paid me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank picassogirl33
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

First of all, my mother and I booked separate rooms here in advance. I got there first and checked in, then when she arrived a couple hours later, they checked her into the room I was already in. Her room key was deactivated Friday night because they "thought she had checked out", even though her reservation was until Saturday. Then to top it off, they charged my card for both rooms even though my mother paid separately. When I called them about it, all the manager said was that she didn't know who was working over the weekend, and it was probably because we had the same last name that everyone was confused. Long story short - if you have a common last name, be afraid, because apparently first names mean nothing to these people. Beds were uncomfortable, shower pressure and lighting in the bathroom is terrible. The attached restaurant is mediocre at best.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Kevnber
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My huband & I stopped in on our way to Minneapolis. We did not have a reservation & were serviced as a walk-in. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and accomdating. She was very efficient & got us a room, no problem! We chose a whirlpool suite, which had newly placed carpet in the room which was a plus! The spa was very nice, & worked great! The only couple of downers, initially the smell upon walking into the hotel is very strong, almost like old wood or something, which is fine, I dont sleep in the lobby anyways. Secondly, like I said, we had new carpet, which was great, bedding was clean, however the bathroom was quite dated with aged tile flooring and very dim lighting. Overall, the value was excellent and they offered free wi-fi. On a Friday evening we payed $130 for a suite. Nice to see places holding their own amonst hotel chains. Nice job Avalon! We'll be back if were ever in the area!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JamieRNWI
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I would never stay again. We had barking dogs on both sides of us also we where at a wedding party and our 13 year old son was not allowed in the bar with everyone. The room itself smelled damp. On a good note the staff in the wedding reception area where great.

• Stayed September 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Avalon Hotel/Motel was nice. It is a 1 level Hotel/ motel which means you can get to your room through the hallways or by parking outside your room and entering from outside. Room was nice, clean and pretty spacious. It had a microwave, refrigerator , and table. The tv was the old type but had great picture and had a lot of channels compared to other chain hotels. It came with free pancakes in morning or $2 off breakfast at the Bridgewater Restaurant/Bar which was accessible from inside. Good restaurant; good prices and a lot of people coming in from outside the hotel to eat there; always a good sign. The pool and hot tub area was nice. This hotel is not fancy, but was nice. The staff was very nice and helpful

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chippewa Falls
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chippewa Falls
Cobblestone Hotel & Suites Chippewa Falls, WI
Cobblestone Hotel & Suites Chipp...
#4 of 10 in Chippewa Falls
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Chippewa Falls
Hampton Inn & Suites Chippewa Falls
Staybridge Suites Eau Claire - Altoona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Eau Claire North

Been to Avalon Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!