“Resort Dining As It Should Be”
Review of Pokegama Inn

Pokegama Inn
Ranked #20 of 21 Restaurants in Chetek
Waterloo, Iowa
“Resort Dining As It Should Be”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

While staying at a lakeside resort in Chetek, WI last week we dined at the Pokegama Inn twice. The first time we ordered what turned out to be great onion rings and pizza with good sauce and toppings but the crust was not cut completely through and was tough. The second visit was for their Friday night fish fry. Honestly going in cold and not knowing what to expect we ordered the 3 piece meal when we should have ordered the 2 piece. So we took a couple of pieces back to the resort. Friendly, family atmosphere, and courteous plus you can drive up by boat if you like.

• Visited August 2014

Hudson, Wisconsin
“Really needs a lot of work!”
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

I would give this place a zero score, but there are no options for that on here."
We were super excited to try this place, because Chetek was in need of another restaurant. We went around 4:30 for dinner, and although the patio was mostly full, there was only one other table of people and they already had their food. We sat for 10 minutes with no one approaching our table and I had to flag a waitress down to see if she could find someone for us. There were FOUR waitresses in the kitchen area that we could see from our table who were drinking sodas and chatting. Really?! The girl who I had flagged down came back with menus and took our drink orders. Here is how the rest played out: they were out of their homemade kettle chips so she said we could all do sweet potato fries instead w/o having to pay the $2 up charge. We never saw her again for 30+ minutes, and my husband had to go to the bar (completely separate room down the hallway) to get soda and beer refills. By this time, 3 other tables who came in after us had their food! After another 15 minutes, our waitress was walking through and we had to wave her down, as she still had no intention of stopping by our table. She said our food would be out very soon, and it showed up 1 1/2 hours after we placed our order. Some of the tables who came after were already gone! We ordered simple things, that should have been fairly quick to make. My son got a chicken breast sandwich that came out rubbery and dry, and he simply could not eat it. My daughter ordered jalapeño poppers, ( how hard is it to deep fry those?!) which came with no sauce, and when we asked for some, she said that they have cream cheese inside them, so they don't come with a sauce! We order them from places all the time, and they always do! My husband ordered the prime rib sandwich medium, and it came out like shoe leather. The sweet potato fries were soggy and gross. My turkey Reuben came between two skinny pieces of rye bread that were untoasted, and the rest was a terrible joke. There were 3 paper thin cheap packaged slices of turkey that covered 2/3 of the bread, one teaspoon total of sour kraut, NO Swiss cheese, and NO thousand island dressing. We waited an hour and a half for this crap!!! By the time I found our waitress (had to walk to the kitchen!), we just wanted to leave. Then, we were charged for the $2 fries ($8 total), and it took 10 minutes to clear that up, as no one seemed to know how to work the computer to do that. What a horrible experience!!! We will never be back, and I warn people all the time to avoid this place.

2 Thank Jilly070
Peoria, Illinois
“Growing pains”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our first trip was on a Friday night (group of 6). The place was very busy, but our wait for food was just way too long (1 hr. 15 minutes). On top of that our orders were wrong. We tried it again mid-week and sat on the patio, which was very nice. Things were better since it wasn't as busy. Everyone enjoyed their dinner, except one person that ordered the walleye sandwich. For the price it definitely not worth it. Check out the picture. Extremely small piece of walleye! Hopefully they will get their growing pains addressed.

• Visited June 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
“Beautiful Lakeside Dining”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stopped at the Pokegama on our way to Hayward. We dined on the deck overlooking Lake Chetek. I'm sure Northern Wisconsin offers many similar dining areas, but it's hard to imagine them being much better than what we had at the Pokegama.

I can't speak to the whole menu of course, but our group ordered burgers, chicken tenders and pizza and we were very satisfied with both the quality and quantity of fare.

"One of the best meals I've ever had?" seems like a silly question from TA don't you think? I mean, either I say that every time I enjoy the food (unfair to the reader) or I only say it when I mean it (unfair to the restaurant, who likely gets some negative impressions when I say "no"). That's setting the bar pretty high for a restaurant to provide "one of the best ever". But I digress... :)

The ambience WAS "one of the best ever" and the food and service were both good, so 5 stars it is!

• Visited July 2014
Loves Park, Illinois, United States
“Great fish fry - excellent outdoor seating”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Really nice bar inside. Great atmosphere. Wonderful outdoor seating. Fish fry was very good. Eating outside on the lake was nice
Service was very attentive