Review of Farmstead

Ranked #2 of 53 Restaurants in Cedarburg
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed October 9, 2011

So, first things first, the beef here is delicious--no way to dispute that. But seriously, is this so unusual and/or special for a place renown for its steak/meat?

For a restaurant to be described as 'excellent' and 'the best in town,' there has to be WAY more than excellent meat. Our experience with everything else was not poor but was definitely beneath average. Maybe the ratings just go to show that there are so few viable dining options in town?

We called and were informed that the wait was 90 minutes. Our B&B told us if they called, the wait would be 30 minutes. They did, and it was--unusual, but appreciated. We waited in the bar, where the grill is located, and watched other patrons' steak being cooked--a little strange, but whatever.

We were seated in the very noisy front dining room. Upon reviewing the menu we noticed that 6 of the 8 steak choices did not include a cut but were instead described as black angus. Great to know the breed of cow, however, I want to know the cut of steak. Again, strange, but we rolled with it. We also noticed that every single steak was served with sugar snap peas (which were admittedly fresh and delicious) and french fries with an option to change to garlic mashed potatoes.

We both ordered a 'special' surf and turf which was, of course, described to us by our server as black angus and, when pressed, as a 'tenderloin' and was served with crab legs. As noted in several reviews the meal took an inordinately long time to arrive, but given we had just witnessed the very petite grill in action we weren't surprised and chose to order the mozzarella stick appetizer which was good but obviously straight from Gordon's, Costco or someplace similar (i.e. pretty clearly not house-made--a trend here) and served with BBQ sauce.

Our meal arrived and to our surprise our 'tenderloin' turned out to be much more akin to a petite filet--thankfully--but seriously, this is Wisconsin and one would expect the house and servers to know and be able to accurately describe their cuts of meat. Again, just strange.

The crab legs were awful--very fishy tasting, cut straight in half (again, pretty clearly right from the freezer of Costco or the likes) and a bit water-logged.

The service was ok. I wouldn't call it attentive by any stretch, but the place was very busy and our server was at least personable.

After our meal we ordered a Decaf coffee, thinking they'd need to brew a new pot and it'd be fresh. Wrong. We also incorrectly assumed that ordering coffee would telegraph to the server that we might be interested in dessert, however, our bill arrived shortly after our coffee with naught a mention of dessert.

So, the short story is that you can get a great steak almost anywhere these days (except, maybe Cedarburg?!) and this alone does/should not solely allow a restaurant of this otherwise low caliber to remain in business.

We aren't hard to please, but everything other than the excellent meat quality was completely off for a restaurant in this price point.

We will not return. I'd suggest you consider going elsewhere as well.

2  Thank BusinessTraveler04

Reviewed October 2, 2011

Food was fine, but service leaves a little to be desired. I'd give this a 2.5 star if that was a choice.

Took my 80+ years old parents for my mom's b-day. Arrived just before 5:30 on Saturday night, so expected the 45 minute wait for the table. There appears to be two rooms, and we were in the loud front room. My parents couldn't even hear the waitress tell about the specials.

I thought the menu was a bit strange--salad choices were either a 7-layer salad or a caesar salad (no garden??), or soup choices were a mushroom soup or french onion--without bothering to mention that the onion was extra. We all ordered the petite tenderloin/filet. Then we waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. Where was the bread basket, or crackers? Nothing. It got to be sort of funny watching all the other people in the restaurant looking around, running out of conversation, wondering where the heck the food was!

The very petite steak arrived after at least 50 minutes. The steak was fine and it was cooked nicely, my dad thought his was not very tender. The meal came with peas, and we each had different sides--wild rice, garlic mashed potatoes or home cut fries (slices of potatoes). There was excessive amounts of those sides and peas compared to the size of the meat.

For the price, I was not impressed. Next time, we'll stick to The Port Hotel for special occasions.

2  Thank LuvLuvLuvTheSun
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Widely regarded as the best restaurant in town. Based on other reviews, there seems to be some dispute about that, but we've never been disappointed. In our experience, the food has always been good...especially the steaks. That said, the Farmstead is prone to long waits and the prices can be a bit on the high side for the area.

2  Thank cyberdad
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We only have a few short months of summer in Wisconsin and trying to eat outside as much as possible is wonderful - if you agree DO NOT GO HERE

A wonderful net enclosed deck with nice flowers a breeze - but you can not eat there due to "a
capacity issue" for the kitchen!

Eaten there before (in winter) and food and service is very good.

Now sitting by the creek at the Anvil enjoying a nice steak!

2  Thank Mdoolan
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I heard about their Cap N Crunch chicken so we went so I could try it, the wife got New York strip steak and upon ordering we were under the impression it was $12.99 turns out it was $36 and when I asked the waitress told us very loudly that it's no problem if you don't have enough money you don't have to tip me. I have never been so embarrassed in my life. I used my credit card and she got normal tip.

We haven't been. Back since, very uppity crowd.

2  Thank bum76