“I love quilts, so I loved this museum.”

Wisconsin Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts
Ranked #6 of 18 things to do in Cedarburg
Reviewed March 5, 2013

When we planned a trip to Cedarburg with friends, I was a thrilled quilter to find out that this museum was also "part of the package." We enjoyed looking at the beautiful applique of the "Taking Flight" exhibit. The barn made a wonderful setting for the quilts.

There are newer reviews for Wisconsin Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Since I live nearby, I have ample opportunity to check out nearly all the exhibitions at this jewel of a museum. One has to be in awe of the work that went in to the creation of this museum -- from getting a dedicated following, to renovating and raising a barn (literally), to raising enough money to realize this dream.

The changing exhibitions are always thoughtfully derived and a marvel to the eye. The current show related to birds in a variety of fiber arts is pretty amazing. There is so much to see in a variety of media -- applique, soft sculpture, clothing, traditional quilts, & jacquard weavings, to name a few.

The lower level, which was created when the barn was lifted during its renovation, is a great area for classes and workshops. It seems like there is always something being offered for learning or family activities.

If you have any interest in quilts or fiber arts, check out this wonderful resource at the edge of Cedarburg on Lakefield Road (Hwy T). You'll have a pleasant time. The museum shop is chock full of creative surprises.

2  Thank Mary C
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Just 10 minutes off I-43, we were pleasantly surprised with this museum in a lovingly restored warm and immaculate barn and surrounding outbuildings. The "Taking Flight" exhibition has gorgeous quilts and other fiber art inspired by birds. The knowledgeable volunteer greeted us at the door and told us all about the history of the museum, which we really appreciated. There is also a fully-stocked gift store with all kinds of nifty, hand-made fiber arts. I look forward to returning again sometime and seeing future exhibitions.

1  Thank ILJilly
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Not only is this a great museum where everything is hung attractively and so much is packed in, they also feature people who still quilt, knit, and continue to keep the arts alive! We were here for a Saturday ornament project and they found a project that was perfect for my young son. Everyone was so kind and helpful. We spent a long time talking to the volunteers about their hobbies and their passion for quilting or knitting. I found lots in the gift shop that would be great to have personally or give as gifts. They take donations of books for their basement library, which will be convenient for some of my mom's old lacemaking and quilting books. We were here more than an hour and really enjoyed it! Be sure to look at the photo display that explains how the barn was refurbished.

1  Thank alibarbaraMilwaukee
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Great display of Baltimore Album quilts. This group has done a fantastic job of renovating a historic farmstead into a tremendous museum!

1  Thank Rick T