“I wish I could live here” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Upper Miss Lodging

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cassville
Upper Miss Lodging
Ranked #1 of 4 Cassville B&B and Inns
Loveland, Colorado
“I wish I could live here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

Upper Mississippi Lodging, located in the tiny hamlet of Cassville, Wisconsin, is comprised of two updated apartments on the town's main street. We stayed in the upstairs apartment called, "Mississippi Moon". I'm not sure who decorated this place, but am almost certain it was someone from HGTV. I literally took pictures of every room so I could emulate some of the expert decorating at home!!

I think the easiest thing to do in this review is create a list of all that we liked/loved: the location (one block from the river and a stunning town park located on the river), a fully loaded kitchen, a private back deck, off-street parking, central air conditioning, the proximity to the town's businesses, an eye for detail of the owners (i.e. earplugs in the nightstand, aromatic reed diffusers, good books on the bookshelf), the comfort (memory foam bed and Dish TV), plus the fact that the owners run another business in conjunction with this one - Upper Mississippi River Adventures. We ended up booking a boat tour of the river with our hosts in addition to lodging with them, and what a joy that was. They are enthusiastic and knowledgeable tour guides, and as with the apartment, think of everything. Our evening river tour became very chilly on the return trip, and our host and hostess offered jackets and blankets, as well as goggles to protect our eyes from bugs. We actually ended up booking an extra night at this property because we loved the lodging, the hospitality, and the town.

For breakfast and lunch, there is a coffee shop located in the same block. It's very good and priced ok, but I would offer the comment that the menu might not thrill hungry guys - it's a quiche, croissants, and chicken salad type of menu. I loved it; my husband wished we would have had a burger in a nearby bar (there are plenty of those). In nearby Beetown there is a cheese store, and the drive between the two towns offers beautiful and traditional Wisconsin scenery - cows, farms, and corn fields. All of this is less than one hour away from Dubuque, Iowa.

There is one issue that could be bothersome to some folks, and that is the never ending stream of horn-tooting trains that blow through town 24-hours per day. We slept with the windows closed and still heard the train overnight, although it was not particularly bothersome to us. For that reason, I don't think these accommodations would work well for light sleepers (unless those are really good earplugs in the nightstand!!)

If you're looking for a lovely getaway near the Mississippi River in southwest Wisconsin, you should definitely consider visiting this property. Even though it's 900 miles from home for us, we will certainly return.

• Liked — Cleanliness, decor, and comfort
  • Disliked — Train noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank ColoradoKat23

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)

Been to Upper Miss Lodging? Share your experiences!