“Another one bites the dust!”
Review of Burgundy - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Burgundy
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Waitress told us limited menu, (there were no actual physical menus to look at)of salmon, pork, Friday fish(we went on a Saturday night)and chicken. The dining room was freezing. The mashed potatoes were hyped up only to be thrown out after another table complained they tasted like an ashtray. There was only one baked potato left( we got there at 7 pm) other wise French fries. Baked potato looked like Friday nights reheated on a broiler. Pork tenderloin was charred on one side and super dry. Salmon was mediocre. Waitress said cook was new and there had been a large amount of staff walk out last week.We powered through still freezing our bumms off. There were only two other tables there and over heard the waitress say here is the bill unfortunately we are having problems with the phone lines,so cash or check only.(would be nice to know before you spend a $100 on dinner for four) we asked if that was true and it was. She said it was wired the phone wasn't ringing and picked up the phone only to hear a digital noise.(sounds like a disconnected phone) we were happy to leave and go warm up! The waitress was a trooper. Very nice and managing the best she could given the situation. ( she was the only waitress there) This used to be great spot. Unfortunately this place felt like it was going out of business . Another one bites the dust!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Arrived at 6:00 pm on a Friday night and were the only one's dining. A few people in he bar. Service was fine since it was just us. It was so cold in the dining area we had to keep our jackets on the whole time. Our meal was good but my husband had the fish and they give you two pieces which really didn't fill him up. Three pieces would have been better and standard for most places. Two more tables had been seated by the time we left and they all kept their coats on also as they were cold. Maybe we will come back in the summer and sit outside.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is a very cute establishment but that's all I can say on the plus side. The place was freezing inside. There was only one or two waitresses and I kept hearing our waitress apologize to guests. The hostess ran around to help with the problems with food or lack of service and had people waiting to be seated.

I had to ask twice for my glass of wine. My husband and I both ordered the filet mignon - medium with garlic mashed potatoes. The meat came out not even rare and the potatoes were cold. We sent it back. Our waitress came out to apologize and then said that the "chef agreed" and would we accept a dessert on the house. We said yes.

Our steaks came out a bit later and was well-done. The potatoes were luke warm.

The free dessert was probably the best part of the meal!

This place didn't have enough staff on hand and the staff was not trained. Friendly and apologetic but had no clue how to handle things.

They really need someone with excellent restaurant management skills to come in and help them. If they would just do some of the basics this place could be a gem.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Recent visit on the return trip from Door County. I wouldn't describe the the menu as a culinary adventure as it has been in the past, but what was served was fresh, thoughtfully prepared, and most importantly, delicious. Personally, I appreciate a smaller, well executed menu to a large one with mediocre (or worse) results.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had dinner here on 10/11/13.

I have a serious problem with gluten and always check out restaurants in advance.We walked into Burgundy without previewing their online menu since the one restaurant in Cambridge I had researched and settled on we couldn't find. I was very pleased to see that their menu featured Gluten Free items.

I had the shrimp appetizer and a Caesar Salad, both were very good. My sister had the salmon dinner and ate the whole thing, she was very pleased. Himself is a fish fry aficionado and loved the haddock Friday fish fry. We even split the Gluten Free flour less chocolate cake which was heavenly. The wine was very good. Could have had a better NA beer however, Kaliber by Guinness comes to mind.

The only off note is that they seemed understaffed. The wait staff was friendly, informative and pleasant but as the evening drew on we felt less well attended. The first floor dining area definitely could have used one more waiter and a bus person. There were only two wait staff that I could see.

The location is in a very old brick/stone house which gives it an interesting atmosphere. Having been in urban restoration in an old city in the past I enjoyed the repurposing of the building. The only odd note was the choice of tables and chairs which feels jarring since they are blond wood, more contemporary style, and don't blend in well with the darker tones in the rest of the room.

I'd come back but hope they add staff.