“Would not honor Travel Zoo Package”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Cable Nature Lodge

Cable Nature Lodge
Illinois
“Would not honor Travel Zoo Package”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had booked a package offered by them through Travel Zoo. I had checked availability for when i wanted to use the cerificate and there was a room available, but when I called to use it, the woman who answered said she couldn't book a room for that and the owner would call me the next day. Since there was only one room still available, I booked it on line so as not to loose it. The owner called me the next evening and said I couldn't do that and he refused to honor the package. No where in the Travel Zoo info or on their web site does it say you can not book on line if you have a Travel Zoo package. He obviously wanted to get someone to book at full price. They should never have offered the deal if they weren't going to honor it. I will never stay here and will tell others not to as well. Very poor customer relations! Shame on them!

Room Tip: I could not rate this because I did not get to stay there.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank sjpIllinois
Bill B, Owner at Cable Nature Lodge, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Anyone wishing to take advantage of special promotional offers should read, understand, and accept the terms before purchasing. The TravelZoo offer this guest refers to is a significantly discounted off-season and mid-week package that is strictly based on availability at time of arrival. Specific room assignments are NEVER guaranteed in advance and full pay guests always have first preference.

Contrary to this individual's false allegation, the TravelZoo voucher he purchased specifically states that reservations under that program must be made by phone, and that rooms are subject to availability. The room he tried to book online was not available under the TravelZoo program guidelines, which allow a hotel to reserve a limited number of rooms each day for prospective full pay guests. When I called to tell him so I actually offered an alternative room that was available just one day later than he had requested. Rather than showing any appreciation for and cooperation with my attempt to honor the TravelZoo package on mutually acceptable terms, this person immediately reacted with anger and insolence. If anyone should be ashamed of their behavior it is him, and we are quite pleased he will never stay with us.

On a broader point, it seems unfair that someone who clearly didn't comprehend the terms of a special offer and didn't actually stay at Cable Nature Lodge is able to use a forum such as this to spread false and derogatory information. It's unfortunate too that it negatively impacts our overall highly favorable rating on TripAdvisor. However, we trust that most prospective guests reading this review will be able to differentiate it from the many positive first-hand reviews written by actual guests of our establishment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Sept,2013

When we got to the “Cable Nature Lodge” we were told that the Birkie was our room. Rob said that he had reserved the Namakagon. We were told that it is taken. Rob asked to see the manager who came up from downstairs, Mr. Bill Brakken, who informed us that when he can get the higher full price for a room, he was going to do it and moved us to another and if we didn’t like it we could leave. Wow! What a very inconsiderate way to treat customers! We were very stunned that he treated us this way after our long drive. He knew we were on our honeymoon and had no intention of making our stay pleasant! Now funny thing is that the rooms were the same price, but the one we reserved had a comfortable chair and larger windows, but smaller bathroom. Although we got a special deal, he is the one that offers it through Travel Zoo – not us, so as we see it, the room was already reserved by us.

Unfortunately, we were tired, shocked at being treated like second class customers and it was getting later. We were stuck for four days in a room that had no comfortable furniture. It looked nice, but I’m short and my feet didn’t even touch the chair rungs on the bar stools in the room by the table. When walking into the bathroom, I noticed an odd smell. The first night, I tried to use the Jacuzzi tub and couldn’t figure out how it worked. I drained the water, as there was a dead spider floating on the water, and I didn’t know what else was going to come out of the jet area so I took a shower. After both of us were showered off, I noticed that the bathroom floor was wet. I put our towels over the water on the floor, as I almost slipped on the glossy tiles that were in the bathroom. The next few nights after taking a shower we noticed the same thing every time, that the water was leaking from the shower and put towels on the floor every night. I also noticed that by the side of the shower the floorboard it was turning black and wondered if the distinctive odd unpleasant smell was mold. Not sure what it was but it was not good!

The second night at our dinner in the restaurant that is attached to the inn, we spoke with Natalie, who is a godsend to the place. I asked her what the secret to get the Jacuzzi to work was. She informed me that it doesn’t work and that the owner wasn’t going to repair it as there were others that didn’t work also. Well that about said it all. The owner of this place did not want to put any money into it to make it a more pleasant place to stay. The grounds had four clumps of black eyed Susan flowers and one of a purple cone flower, overgrown shrubs and weeds. Very unkempt grounds that could be so much better than they were and definitely not like the photos on the internet!

Never once during our four day stay did Mr. Bill apologize for the way we were treated or to check on our stay. That about says it all! We didn’t feel welcomed and our stay was made tolerable by taking excursions away from this place and just spending the nights there. Well that’s what their website states also, “Roughing it and coming back to a bed”. That is the only thing that was comfortable!

Needless to say, after we got back home and back to work and told fellow employees about this place, they stated that he should’ve given us our money back so we could go somewhere else or give us a refund for changing rooms on us. He didn’t even offer! We will never even consider going back to this place!

Rob and Yvonne Honmyhr. We just got married and over a four hour drive to Cable, Wisconsin, we finally found the “Cable Nature Lodge” to start our honeymoon. From the internet photo’s it looked like wonderfully groomed grounds, a place that would be enjoyable to stay and start our honeymoon. Rob had purchased two vouchers for two nights each from Travel Zoo and had reserved the Namakagon Room, which had a king sized bed, a comfortable looking big chair, and other furniture.

Rob and Yvonne Honmyhr.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Robert H
Bill B, Owner at Cable Nature Lodge, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
We had anticipated this negative review ever since these guests first arrived. Why? Because they had vowed to my staff, even before checking into their room, to make a public relations scene. Everything that followed reflects their own decision to be miserable and hostile towards me and my staff for the duration of their stay...merely for not being assigned to the one particular room they desired.

One of the unfortunate things about consumer review sites is they offer a forum for disgruntled guests not only to critique legitimate issues of quality and service, but also to make unsubstantiated false allegations. This review is a case in point. The TravelZoo offer these guests refer to is a significantly discounted off-season and mid-week package that is strictly based on availability at time of arrival. Specific room assignments are NEVER guaranteed in advance and full pay guests always have first preference. Why these particular TravelZoo clients thought they would be assigned to a specific room is a mystery as we're always very clear about that at the time we accept such reservations.

These guests failed to be mollified even after two of my staff members courteously explained this policy. They then asked to speak to me, and when I reaffirmed what my staff already had told them they proceeded to angrily berate me. I have more than 15 years of experience in the hospitality industry and I realized at that point these were the type of guests who would never be satisfied if they didn't get their way. Which we simply couldn't accommodate given that the only room they apparently wanted already was occupied by another couple. So I told them they'd be welcome to stay elsewhere and seek a full refund from TravelZoo. They declined and stomped away to their assigned room.

The interesting fact about the room they proceeded to criticize is that it actually happens to be one of our most popular. A couple who stayed in the same room just a few weeks earlier left this message in the in-room journal: "What an amazing stay we had! Beats staying in any hotel any day. Room was comfy, food was great, and we loved the fact we were never bothered! Couldn't ask for a better few nights away."

True, the single person tub in this room has jets which no longer operate properly. Which is why we stopped advertising it as a whirlpool room several years ago and reduced the rate accordingly. True as well, my housekeeper apparently missed a small line of mildew where the floor meets the wall just outside the shower. Apparently the shower door seal is leaking and will need to be replaced, which we intend to do.

Beyond these few issues most of this review merely reflects the ranting of guests who didn't get everything they wanted at a bargain price. Instead they pouted their way through a four night stay because they apparently realized they wouldn't find a better value anywhere else in our immediate area. What a honeymoon indeed!
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Very pleasant experience here. The room was nice and very quiet. There is a great restaurant downstairs for dinner. Not your typical hotel---the bartender let us into our room and I think we were the only people in the entire place when we left on Wednesday morning. It's kind of like a bed and breakfast without the breakfast. A short drive into Cable provides good food,a grocery and good maps to mountain biking. Loved this place and will be back!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank freespirit_759
New Berlin, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a great place to "get away from it all" but with the amenities of an upscale lodge and the fabulous Rookery restaurant just downstairs. This was our second stay, first time in the Birkie room and this time in the Chequamegon room. Rooms are spacious, clean & bright, have microwave, refrig, dishes, coffee maker, table & chairs, wifi, but no phones. Service is a bit spotty in that area. You can bring food for breakfast or lunch to "camp" in the room or in their common room or on the deck but try the Rookery for fine dining in the evening. It doesn't matter how much wine you drink since you only have to negotiate the stairs back up to your room :)

Room Tip: All the rooms have a unique character and some have more amenties so check out their website to make...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Westboro, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We usually take the 2 1/2 hr. trip just to dine at the Rookery. This time, we decided to stay over for a couple of nights. The lodge was so clean, comfortable and quiet. We listened to the sounds of the forest as we relaxed in our room. This is truly a destination for those who are seeking a northern Wisconsin getaway that also includes fine dining, (which is not usually found anywhere else in this part of the state).
The Rookery, located below the lodge, is superb. I highly recommend ordering the rookery salad as a part of your dining experience. The micro greens are locally sourced and incredibly fresh, no matter what time of year. We always order a bottle of wine from their thoughtfully chosen wine list. This time we did not share an appetizer, but we have in the past, and have never been disappointed. The entrees are beautifully presented, and as always, unique and outstanding. The only thing missing from this visit was the owner's lovable black lab named Callie. She used to greet us at each visit. Sadly, she recently passed away, leaving behind a lot of broken hearts.
If you need to unwind, celebrate, or partake of the many outdoor activities, Cable Nature Lodge is a great choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Patricia C
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed for two nights in November. Unfortunately it was the only two nights of the week when the lodge's restaurant, the Rookery, was closed. Not only did the menu for this restaurant look delicious but all the locals said great things about it.

Our room, "White Pine" was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. This being midweek and off season, we were the only guests so it was very quiet. The room was equipped with a coffee machine (and coffee packets), a small fridge, a microwave, plates, glasses and cutlery. We bought fruit and other things in town to eat a light breakfast in the room. The bathroom lacked a tub (no problem for us) but the shower had tons of hot water.

The lodge is located within a mile of trailheads for hiking, X-country skiing, snowshoeing, etc. There is no lake frontage and, as we weren't there for water activities, we didn't investigate public water access--although I saw lots of signs along the road indicating canoe landings.

The owner was extremely cordial and anxious to make our stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jetagain
Stillwater, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

This place is really special. Located just 7 miles east of Cable, WI on hwy 7, near to the Telemark Ski area and just about a half hour north of Heyward, WI - home of the Birkibiner ski race. I have no problem recommending this place for both the wonderful rooms and the awesome food. The Rookery at the Cable Nature Lodge has such a complete menu for fine dining...I had the seared scallops appetizer, the chicken wild rice soup and the Rookery salad, which was full of beautiful and perfect size green beans, baby portabella mushrooms, and lots of other mixed veggies on a bed of micro greens...very fresh. Friends had the Buffalo Chili and said it was incredible - there was so much on the menu that will be tried in the future - lots to choose from for vegetarians and meat lovers alike! The dining room is filled with gorgeous wildlife photography and the lighting really brings a person into the magic space of the North Woods. Our bed was super comfortable, nice linens, very clean room of knotty pine and high ceilings and windows looking into the woods...with all the perks - coffee maker and good coffee, small refrigerator, lovely bathroom...BIG! Bill, the owner and host was super kind and took care of all our needs - hiking trail tour guide and a great bartender too! You can tell that a lot of care has been taken to make the Lodge what it is. Probably a great place to stay for any reason!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank naturesinger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cable
Comfort Suites
#9 of 35 in Hayward
Lakewoods Resort
Lakewoods Resort
#2 of 3 in Cable

Been to Cable Nature Lodge? Share your experiences!