“Great Find!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We were taking a leisurely drive from Lake Geneva, looking for a breakfast stop. We happened upon Lucky Star, saw they had outdoor seating and popped in. We were seated right away, though it was very busy. The decor is great, with much old memorabilia on the walls. We each ordered a skillet which seemed to be quite popular. The Corned Beef Benedict skillet was delicious, as was the chorizo skillet. Service was good and the prices very reasonable. An added bonus was getting a peak at a Sylvestor cartoon on the TV. I felt like a kid again! We'll definitely return when we are looking to take a little drive.

1  Thank smihling

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I'm not sure what the restaurant is going for decor-wise as the ceiling made me think it was oriental, but the acid stained floors made me think more American. Turns out mexican seems to be their strong point, and they did a nice job.

The server was a bit slow and it took him too long to greet me and get me a few things, but overall nothing to avoid. The best part is most things are home-made so to speak, or at least they claimed, and they were decent to good. The Guacamole was decent I'd say....I believe it needs more lime juice and possibly more salt to round it off. The salsa you get with chips is pretty good....not sure whats all in it, but it was certainly better than the regular tomato-only salsa you get at many places.

I had the enchiladas.....I had them do a steak, a chicken tinga, and a barbacoa I believe. I would suggest the barbacoa and chicken but the steak didnt do it for me.....pieces were a touch on the hard side and flavor was really lacking.

Desert.....oh man did I want to try it but there wasnt enough room for a drop of water. They had some sort of brownie pieces combined with fried ice cream......I totally dropped the ball filling up on chips rather than getting what sounded like a KILLER desert.....next time I suppose.

1  Thank LfeisGood
Reviewed August 2, 2014

This was my second time at Lucky Star and as I did the first time, I enjoyed the food immensely. The prices are reasonable and the portions are quite filling. I had chicken tinga chimichangas which were cooked perfectly and the rice that accompanied it was delectable. The complimentary chips and salsa are good--the salsa is very mild but there is hot sauce at the table should one want it spicier.

I hate to complain about the service at all because our waitress was very friendly. It just seemed to me that better management might be needed. My fiance and I entered the restaurant right behind a large group. We tried to stand separately from the group but there was not a lot of room. Another woman and a child came in behind us and and were standing closer to where we were. We tried to get someone's attention but all of the servers were busy putting tables together for the large group. Then the hostess told the woman and child behind us that their table was ready. The woman said she wasn't with the large group and she pointed to me and my fiance and said that she didn't think we were, either. The hostess didn't really listen to her and turned to me and said, "Your table is ready." I basically repeated what the previous woman had said and then it finally clicked. The hostess apologized and we were seated without further delay.

My parents joined us 10 minutes later and had not had much time to look at the menu before the server asked if we were ready to order. They asked for more time, which turned into another 10 minutes. The server was occupied by another table (which may have had a lot of questions--not sure). My parents saw her disappear, then go back to the aforementioned table and engage in another conversation with them. Granted, I have no idea what was going on, but the wait for her to return was a tad too long. She was quite attentive the rest of the time and I have no complaints about her demeanor and kindness.

I will return here as long as I'm not in a particular hurry to get anywhere. I hope that improvements are made so this restaurant is successful because the food is quite good!

1  Thank Sally1382
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Great food with excellent portion sizes. Server, Leah, was fun and informative. We got there late and were welcomed very nicely considering they were closing in 30 minutes. Will definitely go back.

3  Thank debgamm
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

My son and I ate at the Lucky Star today and was quite impressed. They start you out with a delicious salsa and homemade chips. You then order and they have a variety of choices of American, Mexican, breakfast items etc. being that the salsa was so good we went with the Mexican. He had a burrito/taco platter (7.99) I had the Chimachanga/ taco platter. It comes with a nice helping of quacamole with it. Anyway you can order fresh fruit as a side if you don't want rice and beans. We ate everything, was quite full, I took my fresh fruit home. The prices were very reasonable. Our waiter was the best. We will definitely go back when in the area.

2  Thank packwoodmama