“Not a good experience”

Ranked #10 of 45 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner
Description: No matter the weather, it’s easy to relax lakeside at The Waterfront on Brown's Lake. Pull up by boat or lounge on our patio when it’s warm -- or stay cozy and enjoy the view from inside in the winter. With daytime specials, seasonal offerings, and holiday menus, we love serving our guests the very best homemade fare year-round -- and from our fish fry to our filet mignon, we’ve got something for everyone in the family, even the little ones with Kid's Day every Monday! Our modern supper club is full of Wisconsin charm and friendly faces.
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
“Not a good experience”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Well........for the most part the view and the evening were great but what we got from the restaurant was not so great. The weather was wonderful and we chose to use the patio for our dining experience. We were told that if we wanted a drink we should get it at the bar and bring it down to the patio ourselves. Well.......really? Great service so far. I heard the bartender say 3 times in 5 minutes that she was new. Isn't that something that you are supposed to try and overcome and not use as an excuse for anything? Then she asked if we were going to eat on the patio and if so she would have to put the wine in a plastic cup. Oh no. This is not good. How many wine drinkers want to drink out of a plastic cup?
The main dining room looked very nice with cloth napkins and tables set up nicely. No customers but it was early.
In contrast we were treated like we were at a picnic and not a restaurant when we chose the patio. I don't want to drink wine out of plastic and I don't want to use plasticware for eating either. My friends enjoyed their food and said it was good. I on the other hand did not, in the least, enjoy my salad and was not pleased with the way the server (Cassie) took no note that I barely ate any of it.

I have to interject at this point that I really DO NOT like it when servers keep calling me WE. How are we tonight? Have we decided yet? You get the idea. I also do not like to be called you guys. Maybe I'm expecting too much!

Anyway, the lettuce had NOT been freshly cut and the edges were brown. I picked out (yes it is bad manners) many pieces of the brown ends and put them into my empty soup bowl but she acted oblivious and no mention when she took that away. When she first set down the salad I looked it over and (plastic) forked through it a little to see if I could notice any dressing on it. I didn't really see any and asked if the dressing was already on the salad. She said it was. OK....
I wanted to believe it was going to be alright. After testing it I had to ask for dressing because it was barely detectable. Server commented that they recently switched dressings and the new one was so thin that other customers had my same complaint. Guess it's counter productive to buy something thinner (less expensive ?) and then have to give out more and also make patrons unhappy and waste the time of the server. Even with the extra dressing, which I only put on a small portion, the salad did not get any better. I really do enjoy a good salad with good dressing but this missed the mark on both counts. My sister shared part of her sandwich with me and I gave her some of the salad. She also is a BIG salad eater and she just said "Yeah, it's not good." My other friend agreed that there was way too much brown in the salad and there was no good excuse to serve something like that. Trying to be positive she commented on how good her chicken sandwich was. They both suggested that I send the salad back to the kitchen and ask to have it removed from the bill. I wanted to see how the server would react. She did not react in any way. She just took the 1/10 eaten salad away with no comment on why so little of it was eaten. Didn't even ask if I wanted a to go box. Guess she had already figured out that it was not good and I would not be wanting to take it. She never asked during the course of the meal if I wasn't enjoying the salad and would I like to order something different. I wanted to see what she would do and I got to see that she did not want to deal with it. The salad went in the garbage where it belonged all along. I paid for it, will never go back and will never suggest it to anyone. Maybe if that isn't how the owners want their guests treated they should train their employees to better represent restaurant policy. I believe in letting people show you who they really are and then believing them! I just didn't feel like mentioning to them on how they should be treating their customers. I have trained over 300 servers during my time as a restaurant manager and hopefully no one turned out to treat people like they just wanted to have them gone. It was apparent that she did not want to hear any complaint. So, I paid good money for something that was bad and unfortunately they pay with a bad review.
The chairs were very uncomfortable on the patio but yes, as others have said, the view was very nice. Sit on the black chairs if you go. They may put you in a better position for eating a meal.
Sorry Waterfront you got the location part down but the rest still needs help big time!

• Visited August 2014

“Great Value-Great Food”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Another treat in store for you when you visit "The Waterfront" and that is the view. Great views of Browns Lake makes the visit just that much better.

Visited February 2014
Milwaukee, WI
“Don't go hungry...”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We were there on a Friday night (5/24/14) and yes it was a Holiday weekend but that is no excuse for the shoddy service.

Came in and we were told would be about 15 to 20 minutes for a table, not bad, sat at the bar and had a drink, 45 minutes later having seen people come in and be seated before us asked about our table told it would be shortly, another 15 minutes later (having complained to the bartender) he got us a table. Sat at the table for another 15 minutes without a waitress even acknowledging us (a I will be right with you would have been OK, we know they were busy) we left.

Can't comment on the food because we ended up at the local Culvers instead.

Will not be back

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank thetmjs
“Beautiful view,average food.”
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

We had heard from numerous people that the view is spectacular, it was breathtaking! I only wish the food had been comparable to the view! The prime rib was too well done thus dry, and while the steaks were OK,there are numerous other places with better steaks to be had for less. The staff tried very hard but their timing was off,we waited 29 minutes for our salads and had barely began eating them when our entrees arrived. Baked potatoes had spent too long under the heat lamps, both of them were lukewarm and dry. I must say when we complained we were offered different sides for our meal and received 10% off our total bill.We will try another visit, as everyone deserves a second chance.

• Visited December 2013
Burlington, Wisconsin
“Substandard at best”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Came in for our anniversary for dinner. The bartender "candy" was extremely rude. Made us feel like we were a nuisance to even bother her for a drink. She made political comments almost the entire time while pouring herself cocktails. The food was mediocre at best and the service was something out of flo's diner. I will never return.

• Visited November 2013