“Inspirational visit”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Browntown
Inn Serendipity Farm and B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Browntown B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Lisa, John and Liam were wonderful. I read their book ECOpreneuring: Putting Purpose and the Planet before Profits and have been wanting to make a few changes to my career. Not only did they share their own insights regarding their own journey, but gave me some names to network/contact to gain more insight for my specific career change.

The food was outstanding! I wasn't even planning on buying their cookbook, but couldn't pass it up after tasting the food.

I would highly recommend their B&B.
Jayne J

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jayne J
There are newer reviews for Inn Serendipity Farm and B&B

Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is a wonderful haven in the middle of Cheese Country. I had a fantastic time--my life was changed, I recharged, and I learned a ton. I will never look at the world the same way again. The enterprise that Lisa and John have created is phenomenal and full of heart. I needed a break from consumerism and to reconnect with my surroundings. I'm inspired to maintain sustainable practices and grow my own food--it just seems like common sense now. I also absorbed so much information about every aspect involved in employing such practices and attend green fairs to this day. Lisa is always trying new recipes with garden ingredients for guests, which are delicious without fail. The family is warm and welcoming. You can feel the love and the landscape is beautiful. I could have spent hours in their library and I did spend hours roaming the property and clearing my mind. I would highly recommend this experience to anybody and everybody. Love, light, and clarity!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Randy K
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I can’t imagine a better place for city folk to start learning about living off the land. Inn Serendipity is a five-acre B&B on a homestead that includes an organic garden and a straw bale greenhouse. The unique and most valuable part of the stay is hanging with proprietors John Ivanko and Lisa Kivirist, who happily share their insights on sustainable country living. They publish books (nine so far) and travel around the country (about 60 speaking engagements per year) offering homesteading how-to’s. During my four-day stay they gave me lessons in wind energy, solar energy and biodiesel, all of which they produce on site. I got walking tours of their garden, their greenhouse, and their garage with cars that run on solar power and biodiesel. And, at my request, they shared their years of experience on other key sustainability issues, including water reclamation, drip irrigation, pest control (including raccoons), their solar oven, their composting toilet (don’t worry—the B&B has traditional ones), and home schooling their son Liam, a chatty nine-year-old who provides comic relief. Two themes common to most subjects were sharing with friends (“networking” to city folks) and dealing with bureaucrats (like building and health inspectors).

Another big plus is the beauty of the Wisconsin countryside in the late spring: wide-open green fields with cows, distant silos and wonderful smells of fresh-cut hay. It’s tough to drive by those “for sale” signs!

As for the typical B&B issues, Lisa and John are very customer-focused, eager to meet your needs while respecting your privacy. Their breakfasts are snooty-restaurant quality (ask for the eggroll omelette with spinach, green peppers, bread crumbs and Gruyere, served with fresh asparagus from their garden) and in the afternoon they served home-made pies (apple and strawberry/rhubarb) with home-made ice cream.

John and Lisa have a passion for sustainable homesteading and a passion for sharing what they know. They provide the “Serendipity” by turning their B&B into an inspiring homesteading lesson for land-locked city folks.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Veganvessel
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Once again you took very good care of us and provided a comfortable night in the Music Room. It is so nice to stay in a place that is free of the chemicals of the mainstream world. We don't eat processed food, we pursue a sustainable life, and we truly appreciate what you have done at Inn Serendipity.

There was a couple from a Madison co-op who were also there during our stay, and we had a nice chat with them. We went out to Monticello and had a nice romantic dinner at the Dining Room at 209 Main and returned for a nice night of relaxing sleep.

We had a nice breakfast of potato pancakes with applesauce and yogurt and sat around a while knitting, drinking coffee, and reading recipe books. To top it off, we took a hike up to the top of the Devil's Tea Table at Cadiz Springs and enjoyed some sweet ginger tea.

We said we would be back again, and it is still as cozy as ever!

Thanks for the awesome pottery mug.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Suncycle
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Quiet, relaxing and peaceful place to stay with sustainable living inspiration all around you. Our evening snack (teas and carmel fondu with apples from the trees on the property) and conversation around the table with John, Lisa, Liam and another guest ranged many topics and felt like we were visiting good friends. They helped make our wedding anniversary special with note, candle and special treat at breakfast.

We attended the Sustainable Living workshop the next day, which was such fun seeing the gardens and renewable energy systems. Of couse, there were more homemade snacks, even apple crisp made in the outdoor solar oven. We really ate more than we should have this weekend! John and Lisa answered our every question, even the often taboo questions about money. They truely lead by example.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Enjoy the warm hospitality and delicious fresh food at Inn Serendipity. We had a wonderful time getting to know John and Lisa and were very grateful for their attention to detail. Our room was cozy and quiet, just perfect. We were inspired by their abundant garden and enthusiasm for lowering their carbon footprint. Along with being great chefs and gracious hosts John and Lisa both are wonderful educators and are happy to share their ecological knowledge. We recommend their B&B with no hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Thank you - thank you! We had a very nice stay at your place! The natural vegetable and flower gardens without chemicals were very refreshing, the sustainable energy production was very educational for us, and the fact that we didn't have to feel air conditioning nor listen to television was wonderful. We had the best rest that we've had in months.

We appreciate you taking us into your home and taking such good care of us during our stay -- from providing us squash and cooking oil to giving us bread twisties and lawnmower oil for bicycle maintenance.

We will see you again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn Serendipity Farm and B&B? Share your experiences!