“A Nice Surprise!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“A Nice Surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had not been to the Venice Club for many years. Under new management, everything has been updated, most importantly the decor, menu and food quality. No longer a dark, dingy room, the dining area is bright and well decorated. The menu has been modernized and accentuates pasta dishes and specialty pizza. The quality of the food is much better, though prices are up a bit, like everywhere else.For our meals, we started with deep fried eggplant, the signature dish of this restaurant which sells gobs of it as a Summerfest favorite. This is the best fried eggplant I've ever had: perfectly fried with a light batter and tasting wonderfully glorious with the marinara sauce provided. Competent salads followed, then main courses. My wife and friends all had pasta based dishes which they loved. Servings were generous, providing everyone with leftovers for the next day's lunch. I had an anchovy specialty pizza with multiple toppings. This was one of those meals where I wished I had gotten what my table mates had ordered. My 12" pizza looked good, completely covered with cheese, mushrooms, olives and anchovies, but the crust was disappointingly dry, hard and slightly singed. My anchovies, which usually dominate a pizza with their intense flavor so completely, most people won't even share a pizza with me when I just get them on my own half, were basically undetectable by taste, though I could see they were present. I've never encountered anchovies so tasteless. So my pizza was a disappointment. The other problem we encountered was our waitress. Cute as a button, she was busy as a bee throughout our meal, constantly checking how we were doing with our food and refilling our drinks or getting new ones. That was good. What was bad was she kept trying to remove our food and drinks before we were done with it including our salads, our bread, and our wine. At the completion of our meal she brought us containers for our leftovers and our checks, but then disappeared, requiring one of us to eventually get up to search for her so we could pay our bills and leave. However, overall, we were pleasantly surprised with the positive changes at the Venice Club and will return soon when we desire a hearty Italian meal.

• Visited October 2013

Kingsport, Tennessee
“Great food, so so service .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We attended a wedding dinner. The steak and salmon were exceptional especially the mushrooms on the steak. The service was just ok.

• Visited July 2013
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Ultimately, it all depends on what you order”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

On a scale of 1 to 5, my husband thought his dinner scored a 5, and mine rated a 2.5...maybe. Here’s the breakdown.

First the appetizer: bruschetta with thinly-sliced beef. He really liked it; I thought it was flavorless.

Next came the bread board which really was unnecessary following the bruschetta appetizer. had I known that the bread board was coming, I would have refrained from having any of the bruschetta.

The salads were typical with lettuce, red onion, a slice of cucumber, a cherry tomato, and croutons. I thought that the parmesan peppercorn salad dressing was bland; my husband’s house Italian dressing was very good.

My husband ordered the Sicilian pork chops, two breaded chops with Italian seasoning in the crumbs. He ate one and brought the other one home to enjoy tomorrow. Although he is not a big veggie fan, he reported that his side of vegetables was exceptional.

I was planning on ordering salmon, but at the last minute I changed my mind and ordered lasagna after our server said it was the most popular menu item. Here’s the rub: I make really great lasagna at home, and I should just never order it in a restaurant as it just doesn’t measure up to mine. It wasn’t cheesy or garlicky; it was just some noodles layered with a greasy meat sauce. I felt like I had wasted a lot of calories with very little payoff.

One thing we agreed on was that the music was most annoying. We are not young, but to us the music was something that might have appealed to our parents maybe 40 years ago. Nothing makes me more depressed, musically speaking, than to hear music of the Beatles played in the style of Ferrante and Teicher, Montovani, or Musak®. If you’re of a certain age, you know what I’m talking about. The music made us want to hurry up and eat, pay the bill, and get out as soon as possible. Some Italian music would have been nice a nice complement to the style of the restaurant.

So, would we go back? I know my husband would. For me, it’s a big maybe. I’d still like to try the salmon, and the pizza looked really good. Our satisfaction or lack thereof, was in the selections we made. Unfortunately, I made a regrettable menu choice.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Dare2BGroovy
Avon, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,501 helpful votes
“A Nice Return to an Old Favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

During the 90’s, when I lived and worked in the area, I ate lunch here several times a week and sometimes dinner with business clients as I could count on consistently good food and service. Just recently, I returned for a function that was held in one of their banquette rooms. While the restaurant has grown and much has changed, I was pleased that the food and service remains very good.

• Visited May 2013
Germantown, Wi
“WOW, better than expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Had reservations for a Saturday night @ 700PM. We were seated promptly on arrival, as Restaurant wasn't crowded, which surprised us. We ordered drinks and an appetizer(Bruschetta). We had three of their sandwiches,a sicilian steak, an open-faced tenderloin and a whitehouse. Also had a nightly special of fried chicken livers and pasta. 2 of the meals came with a house salad, which was exccellent. All the food came out hot, on time, and really, really good. Service was paced correctly. Total bill for 4 dinners, 4 cocktails, 1 wine and 1 beer was $97.00.

• Visited March 2013